Found a new reason why IE is better than firefox..

I <3 Opera. Just all around better, IMO. Right now I have 8 tabs open and 3 xfers going, and it's only showing as using 87MB of RAM. Cool in my book.

as of the last week everytime I open Opera I get a freeze and have to hard restart
guess when it asks if I want to upgrade to the latest version I should say yes :p

I haven't had a problem, and I'm running 1.5
right now its at 40 megs w/ 7 tabs open
I haven't heard of a memory leak though...

http://www.informationweek.com/stor...5BHNX2QSNDBGCKHSCJUMEKJVN?articleID=174907654

InformationWeek's Scot Finnie has a few bones to pick with Mozilla's new Firefox 1.5 browser. One of his main beefs is the fact that Firefox is still a memory hog. I can attest to this fact personally as I have had problems with memory usage in all releases of Firefox:

Matt McKenzie, Editor of the Linux Pipeline, recently sent me a screenshot that showed Firefox 1.5's main process (firefox.exe) using 398,108K physical memory and 405,540K virtual memory - way more than is comfortable or necessary. And the number, he said, was rising while he was sitting there. On the other hand, on my system, a quick check showed Firefox 1.5 using about 27,000K on first launch, and between 50,000K and 60,000K after a couple of hours of hard use. That level of memory use is within bounds. (By comparison, IE6 used only 13,000K after initial launch on the same machine in the same session.)

Laforge said:
http://www.informationweek.com/stor...5BHNX2QSNDBGCKHSCJUMEKJVN?articleID=174907654

InformationWeek's Scot Finnie has a few bones to pick with Mozilla's new Firefox 1.5 browser. One of his main beefs is the fact that Firefox is still a memory hog. I can attest to this fact personally as I have had problems with memory usage in all releases of Firefox:

Matt McKenzie, Editor of the Linux Pipeline, recently sent me a screenshot that showed Firefox 1.5's main process (firefox.exe) using 398,108K physical memory and 405,540K virtual memory - way more than is comfortable or necessary. And the number, he said, was rising while he was sitting there. On the other hand, on my system, a quick check showed Firefox 1.5 using about 27,000K on first launch, and between 50,000K and 60,000K after a couple of hours of hard use. That level of memory use is within bounds. (By comparison, IE6 used only 13,000K after initial launch on the same machine in the same session.)

I was heading up to 400 MB usage until I killed the process. That was only with the Forums open..no other tabs.

djnes said:
I was heading up to 400 MB usage until I killed the process. That was only with the Forums open..no other tabs.

Something about that gets a chuckle from me. Just the other night, I had only been using FF for an hour and it was around 298MB...yeah, it's quite a problem.

Not to defend Firefox (it has well-documented memory leaks), but IE utilizes several parts of Windows that are already loaded when the PC boots. IEXPLORE.EXE doesn't give you the full picture.

Eulogy said:
I <3 Opera. Just all around better, IMO. Right now I have 8 tabs open and 3 xfers going, and it's only showing as using 87MB of RAM. Cool in my book.

Weird... I am on Opera too. I have 3 tabs open (hardforums, avsforum, and genmay) and my memory usage is 136Megs

Y'all need to get fasterfox extension and limit your ram cache to 32678. Heck I have it to 65536 and 10 tabs open and it draws barely more ram than IE with just one page (hardocp.com) open.
Try fasterfox extension 0.81, I don't like what they did with 1.01+1.02
http://downloads.mozdev.org/fasterfox/fasterfox-0.8.1-fx.xpi

You also need to understand windows processes and ram paging better. IE uses alot of the core OS already loaded in memory (explorer). Firefox is OS independent (to a degree). If you have the fast back feature enabled it also uses ram to track up to 5 previous pages per tab (opera does this too).

btw, the program you are seeing is taskinfo http://www.iarsn.com/taskinfo.html
(and of course I like the older 2002 version better than the new one ;-)

Both Maximized(FF in front, but I switched it around and they didn't fluctuate much):
maximized0de.jpg

Both Minimized:
bothminimized5gk.jpg

They're about the same maximized, but firefox uses a little less memory when minimized. I've noticed firefox creep up to 80mb when I'm on YTMND or another graphic heavy page, especially when I leave it open for awhile(which I usually do, restarting FF always fixes it though).

I have a lot of FF extensions too, which you would think would make it use more memory:

extensions2qf.jpg

vibe said:

btw, the program you are seeing is taskinfo http://www.iarsn.com/taskinfo.html
(and of course I like the older 2002 version better than the new one ;-)

and of course the old version is non-expiring shareware :p
whereas the new version first nags then disables

Ive been pimping Igor Arsenin's TashInfo for some 4 years now ;)

deevine said:
I have a lot of FF extensions too, which you would think would make it use more memory

Here's another one you need :)
Infolister: http://mozilla.doslash.org/infolister/
(extensions, they're addicting!)

makes pretty little lists like this (this is all I have loaded with only 150mb ram use)
Extensions (enabled: 27, disabled: 0; total: 27)

Plugins
  • AOL Media Playback Plugin
  • Mozilla Default Plug-in
  • QuickTime Plug-in 6.0.2
  • QuickTime Plug-in 6.5.1
  • RealJukebox NS Plugin
  • RealOne Player Version Plugin
  • RealPlayer(tm) G2 LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In (32-bit)
  • Shockwave Flash
  • Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library

Spectre said:
Does it play well with 1.5 and XP Pro x64?

I am using 1.5, have no clue about x64. In theory it's OS independent.
If it doesn't work, you can just tweak the settings manually in about:config
but that's alot more work of course.

Lol I believe that's Terpfen posting in that thread? I wonder if that's the same one we got here at [H]...

Firefox has tabs silly...
Get the extension that allows it to save the tabs and just close it from to time time... fixes it for me.

You might want to add the Virtual Memory column to Task Manager also. Peak memory usage is interesting to know, but for actual performance considerations, the Memory Usage and Virtual Memory usage are the big factors. If you're using 135MB of physical memory with 167MB peak roughly, the Virtual Memory usage is probably around that much also so you're looking at a lot of paging activity for that app, especially if it's not actively in use - Windows will swap out Firefox code to use it for other purposes and more active programs.

bb

Firefox 1.5 with adblock/flashblock and 6 tabs

58mb mem usage and 46mb virtual mem usage

Back