Foxconn Agrees on Suicide Compensation

HardOCP News

[H] News
While money will never replace a loved one, at least the family of that guy that committed suicide will be getting something.

A Foxconn official in Taipei said Tuesday the company would pay Sun's parents a lump sum of 360,000 yuan ($52,600), plus 30,000 yuan ($4,385) every year as long as either of them remains alive. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he is not authorized to deal with the press.

once again this is not suicide. the amount the chinese usually give for children, babies etc being killed by poor government regulation is a total of less than 4k.

It's part of China as far as China's concerned ;-)

Taiwan is entirely different than China, they are different country to begin with..

they have different background, culture, languages, and race...

its like USA vs UK... Is USA part of UK? the answer is obvious....NO

the only time will be "Yes" is when you ask "China", and we all know how they act :rolleyes:

also, there is something wrong with article, its not yuan, its NTD (New Taiwan Dollar, hope I didnt spell it wrong :p)

Yahoo's news, you can just ignore them and read some other news site, they have lots of typo.......

Odd -- here if you commit suicide you don't get a damn dime from any insurance company.

Are his parents mega old or something? Did they depend on their son for survival? Many questions here to get the whole picture. If they are both 80 years old, then the company might actually pay less out than it normally would have.

The thing that sucks is - he consciously killed himself, suicide is never really the answer. It's incredibly selfish because if his parents did indeed depend on him, HE is the one that took that away from them, not FoxxConn.

Yes questionable things happend on FoxxConn's behalf, but they are not 100% to blame, the guy obviously had mental issues. Personally I think it's crap someone should have to pay for someone ELSE'S mental problems.

Taiwan is entirely different than China, they are different country to begin with..

they have different background, culture, languages, and race...

its like USA vs UK... Is USA part of UK? the answer is obvious....NO

the only time will be "Yes" is when you ask "China", and we all know how they act :rolleyes:

also, there is something wrong with article, its not yuan, its NTD (New Taiwan Dollar, hope I didnt spell it wrong :p)

Yahoo's news, you can just ignore them and read some other news site, they have lots of typo.......

You compared Taiwan and China to the United States and the United Kingdom?

The politics of Taiwan (Republic of China) and China (People's Republic of China) is very blurry. As far as PRC is concerned, Taiwan is their island. Only 23 countries recognize Taiwan as a sovereign country. Diplomatic ties with Taiwan will cause a serious risk of friction with the People's Republic of China.

Odd -- here if you commit suicide you don't get a damn dime from any insurance company.

Are his parents mega old or something? Did they depend on their son for survival? Many questions here to get the whole picture. If they are both 80 years old, then the company might actually pay less out than it normally would have.

The thing that sucks is - he consciously killed himself, suicide is never really the answer. It's incredibly selfish because if his parents did indeed depend on him, HE is the one that took that away from them, not FoxxConn.

Yes questionable things happend on FoxxConn's behalf, but they are not 100% to blame, the guy obviously had mental issues. Personally I think it's crap someone should have to pay for someone ELSE'S mental problems.

Probably the most ignorant thing i've read all month. This isn't the USA. In the Asian areas of the world, once your "honor" is ruined, you might as well be dead.

Odd -- here if you commit suicide you don't get a damn dime from any insurance company

In the USA life insurance will pay for death by suicide after the policy has been in place for (IIRC) 2 years. The waiting period is so people don't buy it and off themselves the next day. Call your insurance agent if you don't believe me or just alternatively bing it.

Sometimes just 6 months. The deterrent is just in place to stop people who are about to commit suicide from trying to get a payout for someone.

incentive for population control? hmm
so what if these other two getting the payouts suicide because of this suicide? a domino effect. China won't have anybody living there before long... Foxconn will almost end up owing as much to China as the RIAA/MPAA feels everybody owes them. Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

There is more to this story that's for sure. With the wonderful honorable officials in China and the trustworthy Foxconn at the helm of the investigation I am sure we will find out what that story is. :(

There is more to this story that's for sure. With the wonderful honorable officials in China and the trustworthy Foxconn at the helm of the investigation I am sure we will find out what that story is. :(

Right , marketing works, as soon as I saw Foxconn pay out the insurance, I knew they were a respectable company, and in no way are they to be blamed for what happened.

You compared Taiwan and China to the United States and the United Kingdom?

The politics of Taiwan (Republic of China) and China (People's Republic of China) is very blurry. As far as PRC is concerned, Taiwan is their island. Only 23 countries recognize Taiwan as a sovereign country. Diplomatic ties with Taiwan will cause a serious risk of friction with the People's Republic of China.

like I said, you are asking "China", and that is the problem...

I believe someone already mention above, don't want to mention that again...

Taiwan has always had a strange relationship to China. I won't bore you all with the history lessons, but the fact that modern Taiwan came out of the defeated Nationalist Chinese retreating to that island in 1949 make things awkard politically.

This is damaging for Foxconn, no matter how one see this. Apple might choose other OEM at this rate, and losing that order is far worse than dealing with any single death at a land where life is cheap.

Taiwan has always had a strange relationship to China. I won't bore you all with the history lessons, but the fact that modern Taiwan came out of the defeated Nationalist Chinese retreating to that island in 1949 make things awkard politically.

This is damaging for Foxconn, no matter how one see this. Apple might choose other OEM at this rate, and losing that order is far worse than dealing with any single death at a land where life is cheap.

That and Taiwan claiming to be the real China and was on the UN security council until Nixon went to fake...err communist China to see Mao

I would not have expected them to start paying compensation for his family. I think it's quite respectable from the company if so, though I don't know how they usually deal with stuff like this over there.

From what I read in the original report,there was a lot more to it than a simple suicide. At the least,psychological torture was involved.If it had happened in the U.S.,criminal charges probably would be pressed against certain Foxconn officials.

The problem alot of US readers have with this article is that they really don't understand Asian culture what soever. I also see this in terms of how white people view Chinese people and vice versa.

In Chinese culture, community is probably the #1 thing as well as family honor. If you are dishonored or your family name is shamed, you might as well be dead to the Chinese community that you live in. Which is probably why this man committed suicide. It's a sad way of living to Americans, but since im ABC, I sort of see both sides so I don't really hold any bias. On one hand, suicide is a bad thing, but on the other hand, once your family name is tarnished, it affects EVERYONE in your family. Anything from future jobs, friends, community, etc, are ruined.

Also, alot of Chinese families work in the sense that the children provide for the parents as the children get older. Again it's how the Chinese culture views family and culture. This is probably one of the reasons why Foxconn is paying out to his family as well as the fact that their chief of security was accused of beating the poor guy, also again, relates back to family name and honor (yes this also applies to companies).

These reasons why are probably why you see alot of suicides in Asian cultures even if the accused hasn't been proven guilty of anything at that time.

The problem alot of US readers have with this article is that they really don't understand Asian culture what soever. I also see this in terms of how white people view Chinese people and vice versa.

In Chinese culture, community is probably the #1 thing as well as family honor. If you are dishonored or your family name is shamed, you might as well be dead to the Chinese community that you live in. Which is probably why this man committed suicide. It's a sad way of living to Americans, but since im ABC, I sort of see both sides so I don't really hold any bias. On one hand, suicide is a bad thing, but on the other hand, once your family name is tarnished, it affects EVERYONE in your family. Anything from future jobs, friends, community, etc, are ruined.

Also, alot of Chinese families work in the sense that the children provide for the parents as the children get older. Again it's how the Chinese culture views family and culture. This is probably one of the reasons why Foxconn is paying out to his family as well as the fact that their chief of security was accused of beating the poor guy, also again, relates back to family name and honor (yes this also applies to companies).

These reasons why are probably why you see alot of suicides in Asian cultures even if the accused hasn't been proven guilty of anything at that time.

eh, that is "Chinese" culture, not "Taiwanese" Culture..

I been living in Taiwan for quite awhile before, things like that does not exist in Taiwanese culture....

eh, that is "Chinese" culture, not "Taiwanese" Culture..

I been living in Taiwan for quite awhile before, things like that does not exist in Taiwanese culture....

It's not necessarily "Chinese" culture, I generalized as "Asian" culture, but just used my ethnic background as a basis to explain. Look at Koreans and Japanese (corporate executives committing suicide). From what I've seen from Taiwanese friends (not really Taiwanese as most people who call themselves Taiwanese are not natives) their family also carries this sort of culture.

Probably the most ignorant thing i've read all month. This isn't the USA. In the Asian areas of the world, once your "honor" is ruined, you might as well be dead.

Just because you saw some anime once doesn't mean stereotypes about asians are all true.

Thanks for the laugh though.

That is bull. I find that ABCs always likes to claim they know stuff and they don't. It may have been true 100 years ago, and in a few small regions here and there, but it is not common anymore for "honor suicides". Most suicides in Asia can be attributed to stress and pressure of living in a highly competitive society.

Lets take a student for example: Going to school 6 times a week, up to 10 hrs a day not including afterschool prep. When entrance exams for high school comes along its even worse. Add to that only 3/5 gets in and without good education no jobs wants you. Even after you graduate from college. The job market is just crazy, 5 people competing for every job and once you start working, Companies expect you to work until you drop. Add to that a little beating from Foxconn and woola...suicide.

Just because you saw some anime once doesn't mean stereotypes about asians are all true.

Thanks for the laugh though.

So if I shoot 100 people in the head, and one lives...that means that shooting people in the head means they probably won't die? I deal with enough Chinese and Japanese clients on a daily basis. Most of them are fairly paranoid about their "honor". Maybe this is not as true with the new and upcoming generations of Chinese and Japanese, but the ones I work with right now (late 30's through 50's) is soundly true.

wow thats crazy like the other posters i see mass death coming juts for the payout to there loved ones

That is bull. I find that ABCs always likes to claim they know stuff and they don't. It may have been true 100 years ago, and in a few small regions here and there, but it is not common anymore for "honor suicides". Most suicides in Asia can be attributed to stress and pressure of living in a highly competitive society.

Lets take a student for example: Going to school 6 times a week, up to 10 hrs a day not including afterschool prep. When entrance exams for high school comes along its even worse. Add to that only 3/5 gets in and without good education no jobs wants you. Even after you graduate from college. The job market is just crazy, 5 people competing for every job and once you start working, Companies expect you to work until you drop. Add to that a little beating from Foxconn and woola...suicide.

Really and you can speak on this based on what? This is based on my own experience and what I've seen in my family and friend's family. I've had two uncles that committed suicide over their job. One was a government official accused of using his position to help our family in the back country and the other because he couldn't get into schools like his brother and was deemed a failure to the family name. Shame is a huge thing in Asian cultures that is not found in American culture. It's a terrible thing but don't think it still doesn't exist because it does in my life/family as well as friends.

And please don't tell me you think "honor" suicides are something like the Japanese old school samurai suicides. Let me replace "honor" with family name and fear of shaming the family name.

What's your basis off of? :rolleyes:

Really and you can speak on this based on what? This is based on my own experience and what I've seen in my family and friend's family. I've had two uncles that committed suicide over their job. One was a government official accused of using his position to help our family in the back country and the other because he couldn't get into schools like his brother and was deemed a failure to the family name. Shame is a huge thing in Asian cultures that is not found in American culture. It's a terrible thing but don't think it still doesn't exist because it does in my life/family as well as friends.

And please don't tell me you think "honor" suicides are something like the Japanese old school samurai suicides. Let me replace "honor" with family name and fear of shaming the family name.

What's your basis off of? :rolleyes:

I can tell you, I been living in Taiwan for long ass time, and trust me, I know more Taiwanese than you and know more about them, none of them like what you said....and no, they call themselves Taiwanese.....

I can tell you, I been living in Taiwan for long ass time, and trust me, I know more Taiwanese than you and know more about them, none of them like what you said....and no, they call themselves Taiwanese.....

Most Taiwanese people living in Taiwan are not native Taiwanese, yet still call themselves Taiwanese. I find this the biggest irony in the whole China vs Taiwanese debate.

I have also been to Taiwan for extended periods of time (3-4 months). Alot of corporate culture is the way I described when I worked with them consulting with a family friend's business. Granted, alot of the corporations we visited mainly came from China or have executives from China. Younger generations may be different now, but like Trepidation said, people in their 30s to 50s from what I've experienced have this fear of shame.

From what I read in the original report,there was a lot more to it than a simple suicide. At the least,psychological torture was involved.If it had happened in the U.S.,criminal charges probably would be pressed against certain Foxconn officials.

Are you sure D Cheney comes to mind.

Back