Frank's 2011 Upgrade

Yeah! Im not the only one with horrible spelling! Lol

Hey, you spelled all of that correctly! Cool!

Uh,oh. I take it back. You forgot the apostrophe in "I'm". Lol

Last edited:
Just an FYI - the calendars showed up and they are pretty cool IMO. OK, maybe I am partial because Frank is my baby, but still as a calendar goes - its pretty good looking I think. They unfortunately sent them directly to me - al of them. Now I have to figure out how to ship these things flat out to the various people I ordered them for. I got the largest ones they make - suprise? lol - Happy Holidays to you all.

dsc0186ep.jpg

By aus1095 at 2011-12-12

dsc0185r.jpg

By aus1095 at 2011-12-12

BAM!!! just got it in the mail today lol

i went to MC saturday and they still didn't have it. i'll try later in the week.

Well after a week or more of bliss thinking that Frank was all well and good - the damn black screen issue showed up once again during a MW3 game. So I called EVGA again and we went over the whole history of issues and fixes to date - after an hour recap of the last year with Frank (lol) they informed me that the EVGA GTX 580 3072MB cards require 42.5A PER CARD - OMFG!

Currently I am feeding these cards 37.5A ea. The way I have that figured is because each GPU rail on the Silverstone ST1500 is 25A. So I have a dedicated 8-pin coming from Rail 1-3 going to GPU 1-3. Then GPU Rail #4 is split between GPU 1&2, essentially allowing up to 12.5A per card. So we take 25A and 12.5A we get 37.5A - holy crap we are still short on power for these hungry beast cards. Now the third card is fed from a vacant 15A rail as well, which isn't that much more than the other cards are getting. So GPU 3 actually gets up to 40A but still shy the 2.5A it needs under max load. This explains why since I got the 3072MB cards why I have had such issues, they are much more power hungry than the 1.5GB cards, they require much more juice, etc. This is also why most of the time things work great - its those moments when the cards need the full juice things go to hell fast. When it is starving for juice, it can throw an error, thus the driver crashes I have had like crazy, the black screens, etc. So in the end it appears I have had a power issue after all and even the mighty Silverstone ST1500 PSU cannot handle the juice this beast requires to drink.

I seriously need to upgrade to a larger case that can handle dual power supplies and drop in dual Silverstone ST-1500 PSU's. I have an extra one in the closet, so all I need is the case - oh yeah and a way to strap them together to work as one...............2012 upgrade???????????????

Crazy! I seen some mods for the Corsair 800D where they fit two PSU's. You have to take out the bottom HD cage.

Your crazy man,

Um just a request but old parts like if you decide that you want to put that erm unit out and make it all inside a case then I call old parts for victors rebuild. This worries me as I was going to get Ax1200 PSU. I want three cards so may follow you and get something else...

Anyways yeah call the parts! :) good luck Atleast it's something for us all to learn about altho you shell out the $$$ to keep fixing it we can just wait till it works for you. Then do that lol

I don't care either way. Red, black, same shit. Does it look gay? Who cares. Just finish it this year. 2012 is just around the corner. The next wave of upgrades are coming. :D

I foretold it. lol Get crackin'!!

Hey CAV, may I suggest you run a dedicated power line per PSU. Better yet run a 240VAC line and save some money on your electric bill. Of course, you need to make sure to slide over the slide switch on the PSUs.

Hey CAV, may I suggest you run a dedicated power line per PSU. Better yet run a 240VAC line and save some money on your electric bill. Of course, you need to make sure to slide over the slide switch on the PSUs.

Sounds great just have to approve it with the wife "if you didn't WANT all this stupid expensive junk then you wouldn't need more stuff installed!!! I want a divorce!!!" lol

Assuming you meant run a 240v line to the room with what a 40amp breaker? I'm prolly wrong but just guessing. The visions of his wife going off are always funny. I guess it is to me not you guys who deal with it now lol

Two 20A two pole breakers using 12AWG wire. Operating the PSUs with 240VAC will consume approximately half the current.

If using 14AWG wire, the breaker will be no more that 15A providing that the load is no more that 70% the breakers rating. Same applies to the 20A line.

Well after a week or more of bliss thinking that Frank was all well and good - the damn black screen issue showed up once again during a MW3 game. So I called EVGA again and we went over the whole history of issues and fixes to date - after an hour recap of the last year with Frank (lol) they informed me that the EVGA GTX 580 3072MB cards require 42.5A PER CARD - OMFG!

Currently I am feeding these cards 37.5A ea. The way I have that figured is because each GPU rail on the Silverstone ST1500 is 25A. So I have a dedicated 8-pin coming from Rail 1-3 going to GPU 1-3. Then GPU Rail #4 is split between GPU 1&2, essentially allowing up to 12.5A per card. So we take 25A and 12.5A we get 37.5A - holy crap we are still short on power for these hungry beast cards. Now the third card is fed from a vacant 15A rail as well, which isn't that much more than the other cards are getting. So GPU 3 actually gets up to 40A but still shy the 2.5A it needs under max load. This explains why since I got the 3072MB cards why I have had such issues, they are much more power hungry than the 1.5GB cards, they require much more juice, etc. This is also why most of the time things work great - its those moments when the cards need the full juice things go to hell fast. When it is starving for juice, it can throw an error, thus the driver crashes I have had like crazy, the black screens, etc. So in the end it appears I have had a power issue after all and even the mighty Silverstone ST1500 PSU cannot handle the juice this beast requires to drink.

I seriously need to upgrade to a larger case that can handle dual power supplies and drop in dual Silverstone ST-1500 PSU's. I have an extra one in the closet, so all I need is the case - oh yeah and a way to strap them together to work as one...............2012 upgrade???????????????

Hmm... Sandy Bridge E + ASUS ROG Rampage IV Formula/Extreme + 32 or 64GB DDR3 + 3 maybe 4 HD7970/GTX680 all stuffed in a Case Labs MH8/10 or TH8/10? :D

Last edited:
Two 20A two pole breakers using 12AWG wire. Operating the PSUs with 240VAC will consume approximately half the current.

If using 14AWG wire, the breaker will be no more that 15A providing that the load is no more that 70% the breakers rating. Same applies to the 20A line.

Why can't you just run a 40amp breaker instead of two 20amps? You would need a higher AWG wire? It would be safer I am guessing if you split the load into two 20amps?

I'm just curious my moms a electrician and I still don't know much...

Last edited:
Hmm... Sandy Bridge E + ASUS ROG Rampage IV Formula/Extreme + 32 or 64GB DDR3 + 3 maybe 4 HD7970/GTX680 all stuffed in a Case Labs MH8/10 or TH8/10? :D

Don't forget the sandy bridge E would be at like 5.2ghz and the ram would be at 1800mhz (altho that's a lot of ram to overclock) with the 680s at 1ghz per card. Then one of those OCZ revo drive things? 512gb? With everything under liquid nitrogen? Sounds about right

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1658745

Last edited:
Happy New Year to all - just as a note to end 2011 on, VAMPI finally got rebuilt under Air to get her up and running ASAP. She is limping along on a single 1.5GB GTX 580, the PNY one I had left over is bad for some reason so I have to RMA it before I can do the SLI thing. I still intend to migrate her back to water in 2012, just trying to formulate the power situation as well as the fans. I may have to find larger, lower dbA and high CFM fans. The 9-120mm 19dbA/92CFM fans I have now are a tad louder than expected, so I have to find a quieter solution for that MORA3 radiator, then I will go back to water on VAMPI now that I have her operational.

ON Frank for 2012 - I am considering one of two things, possibly two things, and that is the Classified board that handles 4-way SLI with the EVGA GTX 580 cards as well as a custom case design. Stat and I are discussing a possible custom case idea because of the need to have dual 1500W PSU's in Frank and the rest of Frank's cooling needs, it may require we build a custom solution. If this is the case (pun intended), then I will do a 2012 upgrade thread and try to show the progress of the case build, then the transition from the 800D to the new case. I would rather do this as a sponsored project or work a deal with a case maker to build it from our design, but we shall see what the future holds..............Best wishes to all in 2012!

Cool, get Mountain Mods to sponsor you. They have huge cases that will definitely fit the bill. BTW, I finally got my copy of CPU mag. I will save it as a keepsake as I feel that I was part of the experience along with Aus10 and others.

@ Mr. Wrong, I have your copy. Will mail it out soon.

Best wishes for a great New Year, Cav - may Frank behave and your upgrades be successful!

Looking forward to updates from you in 2012!

but...
Frank1.png

EDIT: Its a good bit out of scale. Don't worry, this thing packs a ridiculous amount of awesome.

I like the side intakes exhausting out the top. it's how we do it on locomotives. You would just have to isolate the upper area away from the lower part. That would guaranty that only exterior cool air would flow through the radiators.

I like the side intakes exhausting out the top. it's how we do it on locomotives. You would just have to isolate the upper area away from the lower part. That would guaranty that only exterior cool air would flow through the radiators.

That is the idea. The entire radiator tray is one piece, so you take the top of the case off, and the rads come with it, revealing the motherboard and goodies.

Back