Frequent GPU error in Win 7

APOLLO

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - March 2009
I continue receiving an error in my GPU clients but only on my Win 7 machines. The error lines are the following:

Error. Could not get length of results file work/wuresults04.dat
Error. Could not read unit 04 file. Removing from queue.

Usually this error occurs at WU completion but the WU uploads results with the confirmation message, so assume it's fine. However, this error sometimes occurs before WU completion causing a crash and loss of work. Anyone see this before?

the only thing i can think of is making sure that the clients running in admin mode.. ive only had it show up once or twice for me before.. usually throws the WU away and grabs a new one..

Does this affect anything or should I just ignore it?

Still posting WUs and getting credit for them?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Still posting WUs and getting credit for them?
There are a lot of WUs from the systems where the errors occur. TBVH, I don't know with absolute certainty.

There are other types of errors that crop up from these Win 7 systems that are different from the one I posted in the OP as well.

post some of the errors.. because other then the one error in your main post i really havent seen any others when i was running under w7.. (grr.. i hate using XP again)

post some of the errors.. because other then the one error in your main post i really havent seen any others when i was running under w7.. (grr.. i hate using XP again)
Here's another:

Could not open/read logfile=<work/wudata_02.log>; Cosm status=-1

Anyway, I changed the properties of my shortcuts to run the clients in Administrator mode just in case there is an advantage to do this, but I don't think that is the issue. There were no errors coming up when these systems were running Win XP. Strange.

Clients installed in C drive and in folders in the root directory and not program files..etc..etc.. ?

Clients installed in C drive and in folders in the root directory and not program files..etc..etc.. ?
Yes. There is only one drive on each system and the clients are in a folder that is in the root directory, not in either of the Program files folders.

setting it to admin might make a difference if your still running the UAC security crap in w7.. since w7 tends to block any programs trying to access my documents or app data(folder) files..

setting it to admin might make a difference if your still running the UAC security crap in w7.. since w7 tends to block any programs trying to access my documents or app data(folder) files..
I turned UAC off when I finished installing the OS. I'll check to be 100% certain but doubt it's on.

Anyone else have a possible solution to this problem?

Today one of the clients in the systems affected by this issue has stopped working due to continuous EUEs. It may or may not be related, I can't say for sure. What would cause a client to stop functioning even at stock frequencies and low temperatures (50 deg)?

I have no idea, but a reboot usually fixes it when I run into that problem.
Yes, people who have reported this weird issue usually see it go away after a reboot. I'm waiting for the -bigadv client to upload in a couple of hours and then I'll reboot the system. Strange, these clients have been very stable outside of the odd error I get in the OP after installed Win 7 over a month ago. :confused:

Computer problems rarely make sense, and the solutions often make even less.

I had the same error and it turned out to be the nvidia driver I used. Windows update posted an updated driver and I installed this driver and fixed the problem. GPUs still fold the same speed as the other driver from nvidia.

Back