FS: 9 Watt Custom LED 2C MagLite

Mr. Baz

2[H]4U
I really wish I didn't have to sell this flashlight. I'm needing some cash right now, so this beauty must go. Nearly flawless.
The flashlight is insanely bright. You could stand at one end zone on a football field and EASILY light up the poles at the other end of the field. There is very little spill, as it is very focused. Please be careful, as shining this light in someone's eyes at close distance WILL lead to temporary blindness.
When things turn around for me, I will definitely be building another one of these for myself.

Specifics:
Black 2C MagLite housing
3 x 3W Luxeon LED's (thermal epoxied to a large custom milled aluminum 'puck').
3 x Aluminum parabolic reflectors epoxied onto each LED.
Converter board also epoxied to same Al puck.
Turned plastic battery tube w/O-Ring.
Aluminum extension ring/clip.
4 x Protected LiIon batteries (w/charger). Proection means the batteries are smart enough to keep themselves from being overcharged or undervolted.
Mineral glass lens (allows up to 95% light emission which is more than the crappy plastic lenses; <80%)
$130

You could also use 2 x 'C' sized Li Ion batteries for extended performance. Simply take out the plastic tube and replace the stock spring. Please, do NOT put normal alkaline C batteries in this light.

The converter board outputs about 1A to the LED's and consumes about 1.5A from the batteries. As you could probably guess, using the wrong batteries (anything besides Li Ion) would not end well.

Upgraded Parts. Pictured are just 2 of the 4 Protected LiIon batteries.
P1000358.jpg

P1000356.jpg

Head
img_2225.jpg

Beamshot. Camera was trying to adjust as much as it could. Stupid camera....
img_2237.jpg

How do you recharge the Li Ion batteries? I assume you need a separate charger?

How do you recharge the Li Ion batteries? I assume you need a separate charger?

Correct. You need a special charger for Li Ion. You can get a cheap Li Ion charger from All-Battery.

I use this one: http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=468

edit: Oh, and to all those interested, please read up on Li Ion batteries. These are unprotected Li Ion batteries, so they can be over-drained and over-charged. I highly suggest purchasing a couple 18650 protected cells.

bump for looking. How long does a charge last?

Since the current batteries I have are pretty old, they usually last less than an hour. I haven't actually tried a constant use from a recharge to see. Plus, I try to recharge these batteries as often as possible, since they can be over-drawn due to them being non-protected.

Some new Tenergy 2600mA protected 18650's would do much better, and you don't have to worry about overcharging or overdrawing them since they are protected against such.

Great flashlight and a bump for you!

However, that linked website with the batteries SUCKS. Any website that doesn't let you close their page (without clicking several times) does not get any business from me.

As is it, I think that flashlight rocks.

Great flashlight and a bump for you!

However, that linked website with the batteries SUCKS. Any website that doesn't let you close their page (without clicking several times) does not get any business from me.

As is it, I think that flashlight rocks.

That is so weird. I'm using firefox and have no problems. :p

How does the output compare with a 1,000,000 candlepower spot? I think you may be competing against that kind of thing for people's 'flashlight' dollars.

How does the output compare with a 1,000,000 candlepower spot? I think you may be competing against that kind of thing for people's 'flashlight' dollars.

Considering that a 1mil candlepower spot is MORE expensive as well as HUGE, this is actually not a competition.

Another thing is that you cannot convert candlepower to lumen output.
This flashlight will get you up to 400 lumen or more. Never really tested it.

Also, considering that people will pay MORE just for the surefire brand flashlight, I think this is a bargain since it is brighter than anything you can purchase for the same price.

Nice light, I have a Quad 2C Luxeon I built myself running on Pila 150A lithium ions.
are you a candlepowerforums member?

If these are T-binned or brighter this light should be plenty bright

Nice light, I have a Quad 2C Luxeon I built myself running on Pila 150A lithium ions.
are you a candlepowerforums member? However, I have a keychain light that can compete with a tripple. Gotta love Cree XR-E's.

If these are T-binned or brighter this light should be plenty bright though. Free bump for a flashaholic.

are you a candlepowerforums member? However, I have a keychain light that can compete with a tripple. Gotta love Cree XR-E's.

If these are T-binned or brighter this light should be plenty bright though. Free bump for a flashaholic.

Nice. I was debating the quad setup. I just stuck with the tri setup since it was going to be plenty bright anyway.
Yep I'm a candlepower forum member.

I think people give too much credence to the cree's. They are awesome, but seriously. One cree is still nothing compared to 3 x 3W luxeons. Especially the new Luxeon III's.

Which board & reflectors? How permanent is your epoxy job? IOW, would the buyer be able to swap emitters at some point without destroying everything?

Which board & reflectors? How permanent is your epoxy job? IOW, would the buyer be able to swap emitters at some point without destroying everything?

Everything is thermal epoxied in place. It is pretty permanent.
I can't remember the converter board. It is the same as the 'SHARK' one they sell now. It is jumpered to 22V (I'm running 3 x 3W in series). The adjustable pot is currently set at its max output of 980mA.
The reflectors are McR-19's.

The aluminum heatsink is the tri-emitter and not the basic all circular-flat heatsink. It fits 3 stars in a recessed space. Since these are thermal epoxied in place, you will not be able to get these out without destroying the current stars.

bump for looking. I must live in a cave b/c I have never heard of someone building custom flashlights. Very nice.

Damn. Didnt know there was a whole other thing for custom flashlights, but jesus that's fucking cool! I might need to start researching a new hobby :cool:

I shall revive this old thread because it is still for sale.

Since the original start of this thread I have upgraded some minor components.
I have 4 fresh Protected LiIon batteries AND a charger. I also have a freshly turned battery tube w/O-ring, a much better wiring system in the screw-cap, and an extension/clip ring.

Updated pics in first post.

Up for looking....

Nicely modded flashlight. Seems you may hang around "candlepower forums"

Good Day

Up for looking....

Nicely modded flashlight. Seems you may hang around "candlepower forums"

Good Day

Yeah. I used to a lot, but now it is just every now and then. I have this posted in the FS section over there too.

Back