Fujitsu Stylistic st5112 - Anyone know about this tablet

Methadras

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey all, I just ran into this tablet today and wondered if anyone knows about it. Apparently it's been out a while and you can pick these up one ebay for fairly cheap considering their $2500 list price. Just thought I'd ask.

I owned one briefly (got it very cheap off ebay, eventually ebayed it for about the same price).

Do you have any specific questions?

---

Things I noted:
->Even the tablet version Windows is not really designed as a pen/touch screen os. Navigation is certainly possible but compared to something like ios it feels like a bit of a handicap not to have a mouse or keyboard.

->it weighs maybe 3.5 pounds. Whether that's too much or not is up to you.

->Although the system can get reasonably warm it has some micro-suede(or similar material) pads on the back where your hands naturally go to hold it, protecting you from heat.

-> A desire to try out inking is the main reason I got the machine, and it tends to get good reviews in this area. Personally I had never used any sort of tablet computer or inking-capable slate, for me it just didn't quite jive. This is a matter of personal taste though.

-> Not worth the list price imo, not even close. Thankfully as you pointed out and as I mentioned above you can get them FAR cheaper.

->Even the tablet version Windows is not really designed as a pen/touch screen os. Navigation is certainly possible but compared to something like ios it feels like a bit of a handicap not to have a mouse or keyboard.

Honestly it's what your used to. I've been using Windows 7 on touch screens since the Windows 7 Beta two years ago EVERYDAY. I've got four different Windows touch screen devices and while I do agree that Windows 7 isn't a touch optimized OS, the VAST majority of it works pretty well with touch and there's a number of things that can be tweaked in terms of font sizes and Windows elements that can help. And with a pen you actually have a point more accurate than a mouse.

I web surf, read Kindle and Nook books, play media, even have a decent number of touch games with Angry Birds now on Windows and it's just easy to do these things with touch. I only use the pen for text input which I much faster with than any on screen keyboard and in the case of a few applications that just don't work well with touch, like Steam and the Zune client ironically. Unless I'm coding I just don't even see my tm2's keyboard and I've only tried a keyboard with my HP Slate just to see if it worked. For a lot of common stuff touch in Windows is a breeze. Needs a lot of work and it's not the most fluid UI but it's very functional and just as fast as a mobile OS device for a large number of common things, especially if it's tweaked.

Here's a good review of the 5112: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/Fujitsu-ST5112.htm

Ive played with an older version (P3-800 based) and wasn't overly impressed. My main problem was that the weight was high enough to make it cumbersome. You had to set it down for any sort of extended session.

It's cheap enough and powerful enough that I might give it a try. I can load win7 on it and see how it goes.

With the exception of loading the CPU enough to drop the battery life from 5 to 3 hours, my relic ran win7 reasonably well after I upgraded the ram from 256 to 768mb. W7's handwriting support was much better than XPs, but is still had too much trouble with my chickenscratch to be worthwhile.

W7's handwriting support was much better than XPs, but is still had too much trouble with my chickenscratch to be worthwhile.

I hear a few people say this, I even hear people say that they have immaculate handwriting and that recognition doesn't work well for them. Really odd because for me and most I talk to we thinks it's 80% around when I'm writing so bad even I can't read it, hell I don't even have to spell half the words right and in scrawl and it's still at least 50% accurate on the first guess and usually the correction suggestions have what I want so that's just two taps.

I write all of the time on my TPCs and it's become very natural and way faster than on screen keyboard with only one hand.

Last edited:
I have owned and used tablets for some time and I find the penable nature of them to be outstanding. I last used a Gateway M275 which is great but I really want a faster unit that coud maybe handle win 7. I am looking to get the same unit you are looking at and have read a lot of reviews on them they seem really good and have been known to work with vista so win 7 should be ok also.

In addition to the Gateway I also used the Compaq tx1000 and I have 2 umpc one from Asus and the other is a Sony. I also use an Ipad which for taking notes it is really bad If you are looking for penable uniits you can not beat a real tablet PC just thier cost is soo high and the weight factor.

If you have any question just ask.

One last thing for the best example of taking notes I do suggest you use MS One Note it is amazing at note taking do not just use a note program that comes with Win XP Tablet.

Welcome to the forums jhawknj, nice to see another Tablet PC and OneNote fan around here. Really couldn't livewithout OneNote, just an incredibly useful application.

Well I won the bid on ebay and should have mine in 2 days I am also picking up a win 7 Premium family pack (3 users) So I will be upgradeing this tablet to Win 7. I will let you know how the system works out when all is done. Thanks for the welcome heatlesssun and yes I am a very big fan of OneNote it should be sold with every Tablet PC.

Well I won the bid on ebay and should have mine in 2 days I am also picking up a win 7 Premium family pack (3 users) So I will be upgradeing this tablet to Win 7. I will let you know how the system works out when all is done. Thanks for the welcome heatlesssun and yes I am a very big fan of OneNote it should be sold with every Tablet PC.

Congrats. Yes, definitely keep me/us updates on whether this tablet can handle something like win7. For the price, I may actually spring for it without a thought and would consider it a cheap investment and stop gap until an SB version of the Asus EP121 hits the shelves. I just have a hard time shelling out $1k for something like that.

Mind if I ask what you ended up with as the winning bid? :D Just curious... and how much RAM/hard drive in that particular one you got? Any extras with it?

I was the only bidder and I got it for $298 including freight. No extras I have no need for a dock and I already have an external dvd drive to use on it. I looked in to memory cost it comes with 1 gig upgradeable to 4 gigs a 2 gig mem is running about $35.00 but I have not looked real hard might find it cheaper. A new 9 cell battery is $65.00 comes with an 80 gig HD not sure if I cam going to upgrade that right away or just live with it for now. I am not sure if the bios can handle greatter then 100gig still looking into that. The company I got it from on ebay has several of them they start at $289.00 bid $319 to buy right away and the give you a key board and mouse if you pay the $319.00.

Congrats. Yes, definitely keep me/us updates on whether this tablet can handle something like win7. For the price, I may actually spring for it without a thought and would consider it a cheap investment and stop gap until an SB version of the Asus EP121 hits the shelves. I just have a hard time shelling out $1k for something like that.
Methadras I would love to get that Asus EP121 I find 2 things that I really do not like about it. 1) the price is just out there I know I paid more for my Sony but today 1K hurts. 2) the limited storage options just 32 or 64 gigs really after adding the O/S you have almost nothing left. My Sony has a 40gig HD and after O/S and the restore partition (which I could remove because I have the cds) I only have a little over 10gigs left.

Methadras I would love to get that Asus EP121 I find 2 things that I really do not like about it. 1) the price is just out there I know I paid more for my Sony but today 1K hurts. 2) the limited storage options just 32 or 64 gigs really after adding the O/S you have almost nothing left. My Sony has a 40gig HD and after O/S and the restore partition (which I could remove because I have the cds) I only have a little over 10gigs left.

That is a serious consideration. If the tablet itself was upgradable to more harddrive space that would be great. The problem is, is that SSD's are prohibitvely expensive after 64gig or so. If that's the case, then I would look at a larger mechanical drive that still fits the microsata form factor and that's even if you can get to it and replace it. There are some issues that I would need to actually, physically look at before I would decide to jump into something like that. If the Fujitsu you get can handle more than 100gig then I'd say that would be a big plus because 1.8" - 2.5" high capacity drives are getting super cheap.

I just poked around the Fujutsu site and found what looks to be all the win 7 drivers. Doing more looking around I found out that the model 5112 can handle up to a 160 gig drive. I then went to Amazon and found a 160 gig for about $40.00 so now I may wait get a new hard drive before I put on win 7. 160 gigs would be very nice to have.

It can handle any capacity of drive, those so called "specs" are meaningless. I know two people that have the ST5112 and one has a 320GB in it and the other has a 500GB so, it's a non-issue really. Both of them use their tablets on the go as multimedia devices more so than "Tablet PCs," loaded with movies and music. Standard SATA drives, although you'll be capped at SATA I transfer rates (which no modern hard drive can beat anyway at 150MB/s).

That is a serious consideration. If the tablet itself was upgradable to more harddrive space that would be great. The problem is, is that SSD's are prohibitvely expensive after 64gig or so. If that's the case, then I would look at a larger mechanical drive that still fits the microsata form factor and that's even if you can get to it and replace it. There are some issues that I would need to actually, physically look at before I would decide to jump into something like that. If the Fujitsu you get can handle more than 100gig then I'd say that would be a big plus because 1.8" - 2.5" high capacity drives are getting super cheap.

I should the EP121 in the AM. I hear that it actually has an upgradabled SSD but I probably won't mess with that anytime soon as that voids the warranty.

I should the EP121 in the AM. I hear that it actually has an upgradabled SSD but I probably won't mess with that anytime soon as that voids the warranty.

Uhmmm... you need to work on that handwriting recognition, man... :D :p

Uhmmm... you need to work on that handwriting recognition, man... :D :p

Naw, that was just bad typing, not everyone types at your blazing speeds and accuracy. The handwriting recognition in Windows 7 would have probably corrected that automagically. ;)

Bleh... I type fast, yep but, even I screw the pooch sometimes with typos and even grammatical snafus... :D

Bleh... I type fast, yep but, even I screw the pooch sometimes with typos and even grammatical snafus... :D

No matter what anyone tells me spell check was invented just for me. And as far as that pooch goes I screwed it soo many times in many states and countries we are considered very much married. Thanks for the info on the HD. Looks like the bad weather here on the East Coast may slow the delivery of my tablet today:mad: Nothing like coming to work to have fun only to find out you may have to do real work;)

I got the tablet it is in good shape the battery held a charge looks like about 4 or 5 hours more then I expected. The tablet does show ware most notice able around some of the ports. The screen is fine in really good shape. Weight wise it is lighter then my Gateway M275. Speed wise it is a lot faster the pen writting is great very smooth even with the 1 gig of mem. I applied Win 7 the upgrade went with no problem all the drivers are on Fujitsu's site. Have not installed Office yet and I am expecting 2 gigs of memory in the mail today taking the system to 3gigs. I am running Win 7 32Bit it would not take 64 Bit. For about $335.00 I have a 3 gig duo core system running win 7. Any questions just ask.

I got the tablet it is in good shape the battery held a charge looks like about 4 or 5 hours more then I expected. The tablet does show ware most notice able around some of the ports. The screen is fine in really good shape. Weight wise it is lighter then my Gateway M275. Speed wise it is a lot faster the pen writting is great very smooth even with the 1 gig of mem. I applied Win 7 the upgrade went with no problem all the drivers are on Fujitsu's site. Have not installed Office yet and I am expecting 2 gigs of memory in the mail today taking the system to 3gigs. I am running Win 7 32Bit it would not take 64 Bit. For about $335.00 I have a 3 gig duo core system running win 7. Any questions just ask.

That's pretty badass. Is the wear and tear in the form of scratches or dents/dings? Also, how is the finger touch of this device? Is it smooth? Any scratches on the screen? Can you say who the seller on ebay was? Thanks.

I got it from laptopenterprise2 on ebay. The ware is more a discolorations and dust in the network and modem jacks. The plastic aroung the fingerprint reader shows ware also. The screen is in what I would say is very good to excellent condition. It is not a finger touch screen which to me is nice you have to use the include pen on the screen. I added the 2 gigs to the unit (pny mem from Amazon) had no problem with that. Tonight I am adding Office 2007 Ultimate and finish transfering my Itunes songs and videos to it.

I got it from laptopenterprise2 on ebay. The ware is more a discolorations and dust in the network and modem jacks. The plastic aroung the fingerprint reader shows ware also. The screen is in what I would say is very good to excellent condition. It is not a finger touch screen which to me is nice you have to use the include pen on the screen. I added the 2 gigs to the unit (pny mem from Amazon) had no problem with that. Tonight I am adding Office 2007 Ultimate and finish transfering my Itunes songs and videos to it.

Oh, so you can't use your finger as a stylus? Bummer, but for the cost, that might be something I could easily overlook until I lose the stylus. :D

Was going to suggest to jhawknj that he attempt using a fingernail - the ST4120P that I have can be totally controlled by a fingernail as the stylus, it's pretty cool to be able to do that. I've shown it to people in the past and then did some fast swipe motion across the screen and people are like "Wait a second, that thing is too old to have a capacitive touch screen, how the hell are you doing that?" and I show 'em - just the edge of the fingernail works exactly like the stylus.

Not all Stylistics are capable of it but, this one is, the OP's just might be capable as well if he tries it, but you have to add the fingernail into the touch, it's not just the pad/skin of the finger - gotta get some nail in there to nail it... (pun intended) :D

if you can use a finger depends on the touchscreen. Some stylistics use active digitizers that only work with a pen; others don't and can be manipulated with pressure. Active digitizers are more accurate but also significantly more expensive so both options were offered.

hi

i have st5112 tablet and it works fine with me
never complaind from it
i bought it from ebay

Back