FX-53 Sudden Slowdown!!! (and very cool!) help >.<;

krizzle said:
You don't need moving parts to make noise...
Electricity traveling through a circuit alone makes noise.
It is highly possible that your CPU is making the noise. From the looks of it, all things point to a faulty CPU. You can't expect every chip to come flawless out of the factory.
Now, prove to me how a human can hear a sound with a frequency of over 2 000 000 KHz?

Strange, I can't see my own post with my other account either. Strange things are afoot, indeed :eek: Oh, wait this must be Ice Czar's doing. I dropped him a clue about who iddqd really is. I guess he's still mad at me for pointing out his lack of knoweledge about ram a while back.

AGGGGG THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!!!!

usually somebody has a problem, and all you have to do to solve it is run Adaware, but this is a true-blue mystery. You've done everything that I would've suggested (and with a few spare components that I don't have) and I'm dying to know what's actually going on.

I might as well throw in my two cents while I'm here: its definately either the CPU or mobo. Since when CPUs go bad they tend to do it in a spectacular way i'd guess that something on your mobo ain't right. Something with the CPU power circuitry maybe. Although, it is mysterious that things don't seem to slow down until you get into windows.

It's most likely a capacitor, though. I had some bad ones in my old monitor, it/they whined, and whined, untill one day-- POP! hello RMA.

A capacitor or few, or maybe one or more of the mosfets? Either way, signs point towards the motherboard. I'd RMA it.

Stick your ear as close to the machine as you can and try to discern where it is coming from.

I had some bad ones in my old monitor, it/they whined, and whined, untill one day-- POP!

Yeah, get real close :rolleyes: . I've heard some explosive stories about capacitors, so be careful.

Sounds like the capacitor idea could be it to me.

Vette

Corvette said:
Yeah, get real close :rolleyes: . I've heard some explosive stories about capacitors, so be careful.

Sounds like the capacitor idea could be it to me.

Vette

I've exploded caps before, they won't kill you... :rolleyes:

Heh, he can always rma everything in his machine since he can't discern where its coming from from a distance, right?

I think i know what it is... Do you guys remeber that picture with the roach on it?

thats it, there is a bug and it doesnt like it when your CPU gets a tad hotter, so it complains cause you turned the heat on...

spray some RAID and you'll be back to normal

*of course all in good fun, dont spray RAID ;)

good luck

don't wanna mess around with possible bad caps and expensive hardware, i'd RMA the mobo as it is most likely the source of the problem, and avoid blowing up uber-expensive hardware...... especially since it's likely one of the caps that filter the power going to the CPU.......

----Dave

after reading what these guys having to say about the caps (i have zero personal experiance with bad caps) i would go that route. :)

I recently had the same problem as you did. My rig was getting lower scores that it should be in 3dMark 01/03. I couldn't figure out the problem. I went throught all the procedures mentioned above and still nothing. I went back to Fry's and bought a 2nd motherboard, psu, ram, and video card. All of them were the same as my first rig. It turned out that I had a bad MOTHERBOARD, even though, it seems to boot up fine and everything. Once I swapped out the old motherboard with the new one and loaded the OS/drivers. I got what I wanted, the expected 3dMark 01/03.

See... my problem is I've already swapped the motherboard. 2x bad Abit boards that likely? I'm still waiting for the opportunity to pull the ole switch-a-roo with my wife's processor to test it. Hopefully tonight... otherwise it wont be until the weekend >.<;

Whatever's going on, my memory is running hella hot. Almost too hot to touch. Should Ballistix PC-4000 running at stock be THAT hot? I even have a little breeze on them from the crossflow fan and they are still hot. To me, it's all still pointing at the cpu. I'll know soon enough.

On the good side, its running slow... but man is it stable slow haha. Now is I can just get it fast and stable I'll be good to go.

Does anyone know if they plan on releaseing the FX-53 in .09 m like they are doing with the others? Or when the FX-55 is slated for release?

SelRahc said:
I'm still waiting for the opportunity to pull the ole switch-a-roo with my wife's processor to test it. Hopefully tonight... otherwise it wont be until the weekend.

i ORIGINALLY though you were joking about having to do it at night while your wife is asleep - but the more you say it the more i realized hey, this guys is REALLY that scared of his wife.
;) :eek:

wizzackr said:
i ORIGINALLY though you were joking about having to do it at night while your wife is asleep - but the more you say it the more i realized hey, this guys is REALLY that scared of his wife.
;) :eek:

Scared... lol :) Naah. My wife hasn't had a new system from the start ever. She use to always get my old system. If I took away the her brand new, zooming stable system now... she would be quite upset. That would be a BAD thing....... for other reasons that I shant mention here due to the younger readers ;)

Ok so I think she finally got sick of hearing me talk about it and we did the switch test.... Survey says?

If you answered PROCESSOR BAD please give yourself a cigar! Flipped her processor over to my system... no noises, no slowdown, no problems! So all I can say is.....

we know the problem.... HOORAY! :D

oh and...... *%* $(* %($ @*% ($#%@& AMD *($# @!&??????

$%&@!!! *&%#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

&$#@& $&# @& $&#@&!!!!!
:mad: :mad:
( no need to translate that im sure.... >.<; )

Now I understand why my other memory may have gone bad? Isn't the memory controller on these chips? I tend to think all of the problems I had with my system were related to this cpu. Oh well....

AMD's RMA wait time....... 4-6 weeks :(

That's weird, I've heard of caps and coils on mobos emitting sound many times before but never heard of a processor doing it... You've got hella crappy luck. :( Better invest in some rabbit feet, shamrocks, and a horseshoe or two before you pop in the RMA'd processor!

In all seriousness tho, can't you get it RMA'd at Newegg or wherever you bought it before going straight to AMD?

Egg's return policy is 14 days. The cpus was one of the first things I got, so they were sitting in my computer room well past that return date before they were even used. I didn't ask though...

Since the AMD RMA process takes so long.. I took a different approach hehe. I can't live without a processor. And what better reason to buy one so I can use it while I wait for the RMA to return. And since I have so many extra motherboards when the RMA processor returns I just so happen to have another case longing to be used again hint hint hint ;)

My new CPU should be here next week. Egg's rush service isnt fast enough... >.< I ordered overnight shipping...... and forgot. Fedex doesnt deliver on saturday do they? /cry
Edit: Wait I ordered it late Wed. night. They charged me that night as well.... so packing and sent should have been on Thrs since I ordered rush with overnight. Egg took 2 days to process all of my other orders. This one, I pay for rush and they take the same ammt of time... WTF is up with that? Their rush is a joke.... I want my money back.

I think they do Saturday deliveries... 'least on business sectors, sometimes. I've had stuff from Fedex arrive at my father's office (where I have it sent most of the time since it's safer than my address) on Saturdays before...

I don't even pay attention to shipping charges/time anymore tho. Since 9/11 shipping to and from PR has been a joke, most of the time they force international shipping on me even tho it's not required at all (I can enter the US as an american citizen w/o showing a password if I'm coming from PR, christ) and the shipping time varies more than Rodman's hair... 'Least Newegg always gets the stuff here within the week, international charges notwhitstanding. :rolleyes:

Are you sure the high pitched sound isn't the power supply? Some do that when under load.

SelRahc said:
As for the noise, it's coming from either the processor, underneeth the processor or immediately next to it. It sounds like its coming from underneath the CPU hs though. When I removed the hsf, I used a paper towel roll tube to help pinpoint the source of the sound. I didn't know a cpu could make a sound either, but SOMETHING is. Both MB's look within spec. When I swapped mb's I didn't notice anything abnormal worh the cpu itself... i made sure to check it. Pins look stright and level, no discoloration. I'll check again though.

I'll just about GUARANTEE it's your inductors. Get a THIN piece of tubing (like 1/4 diamater of a paper towel tube) and probe around the motherboard. You'll find that the inductors (wire wrapped coils if you didn't know) will be giving off a either a 'hissing' or 'high pitched' sound, or even a 'high-pitched beep'. Mine gives off a high-pitched beep all the time, and when there is CPU activity, there's a hissing noise.

What I did to *REDUCE* this noise was to cover my inductors with a product called aerogloss, marketed by midwest, and sold by tower hobbies. It's an 'airplane dope' that's looks a bit like nail polish, and dries hard. The noise is being caused the by wires wrapped around the coils vibrating at very high speed, which creates the noise. Doping the inductors inhibits this vibration, and reduces the noise. I STILL havn't personally been able to completely eliminate this noise. There may be another component that's also producing noise - My noise is most prominent BETWEEN the inductors and the processor. Strange because there's nothing there on the motherboard.

I should really make a thread about this. I'm tired of seeing people post "derrrrrrr... try unplugging your speakers! Yeah, that's the ticket!". :rolleyes:
When you start getting your system nice and quiet, electrical noise is your biggest enemy.

i just took some leftover tubing from my liquid cooling setup, and found out that DUDE UR RIGHT!! they are hissing on mine too!!

Ya I've heard that before. That wasn't the sound I was hearing though. Definately wasnt the PSU either. Even under load this NeoPower seems to stay nice and quiet... It was coming from under the cpu heatsink. This noise can be heard 6 feet away if the case is open. Faint, but you can hear it. Don't know what or why..... but it was there. I used a paper towel tube to help ensure of its location. When I switched over processors, the noises stopped and the system ran like it should. Then when I put the original cpu back into the system, the noises returned and the system ran like crap again.

I would have came to that conclusion sooner if I could have swapped cpu's sooner. This dragged on longer than I wanted it to... >.<;

..just reformat your neighbors hard drive and try switching out floppy drives and make sure to reseat you cmos battery twice and then you should be ok :)

That's very odd, I've never heard of a CPU making noise. Is there anything abnormal-looking about the chip? Maybe the heatspreader is loose? Very weird.

thats freaking weird, I guess I was wrong :eek: Thats the first chip I've ever heard of making noises.

Is it possible that there is a short in or on the CPU die? Maybe that would cause a noise....

computerpro3 said:
Is it possible that there is a short in or on the CPU die? Maybe that would cause a noise....

Maybe... it's ALIIIIIIVEEEEEE!!! :D

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :p

Well,

That was a long and eventful journey.... and I'm glad its finally over. My new CPU came in today from newegg. I am pleased to report that it works flawlessly on both motherboards. No electrical humms, no slowdown and no problems thusfar. 3dMark is back up to the 12500-13000 @ stock that it was earlier... so I'm fairly happy now. My first 3DMark03 run without any updates, oc or tweakes pulled in a 12544. Hope that's good hehe.....

I decided to go back to the MSI board... I just like it better. Though the Guru clock is tight, I think I'll just go with the MSI board for my main. I'm keeping 1 Abit board for my spare system and I have another MSI I may use for my file server. The 4 SATA would come in handy.

After talking to a few people I'll be getting a replacement CPU from AMD fairly soon... I don't know if I'll keep the replacement and put it into another spare system or what. I do have another MSI and 2 other Abit's begging to be used hehe......

Anyways, my thanks go out to all the people that post in an effort to help me correct this problem. It is fixed now and I couldn't be happier. Thanks [H] friends! :D

~ Sel

If your wife read this thread, she'll probably enable 24x7 powersaving on your box next time you're asleep. Good luck troubleshooting that mysterious loss of power. :D

Back