FX-60 Upgrade?

I just came across an FX-60 for a pretty reasonable $100. I'm currently running a Toledo core Athlon X2 4400+. Will there be a very noticeable performance gain from upgrading to an FX-60? I'm thinking there would be, because 2.2 to 2.6 is a gain of 20% in terms of speed. Obviously, I wouldn't realize that much, but I'm looking for opinions here. Any thoughts on this? I'm leaning towards doing it, it would be nice to have a sweet, sweet proc for once in my life, haha, but I could just be getting emotional about it rather than thinking straight about it. :) Thanks in advance.

FX60 = OC via multiplyer, aka no work. But I am amusing since you didn't overclock your 4400, your not going to OC the FX60. So its basically potential going to waste. The performance isnt substantial enough to justify the 100 dollars. I think I would take that deal if it were me, but since its you, mite not be worth it.

It's not really worth $100 for another 400MHz if you won't be overclocking.

if his 4400 is like mine, it's pointless to even try to overclock it. the least little overclock and it becomes extremely unstable.

If I get the FX60, I probably will overclock it. Unlocked multipliers would be nice. Overclocking, without the thinking, right? I never really took the time to overclock my 4400+, I've never really felt the need, so maybe that is an indicator that I don't need the FX60, lol. I also started my OCing on an intel, and I never really took the time to figure out AMD. But multipliers, I can understand that, lol.

I went from a 4400x2 to the FX-60 and didn't notice any marked improvement. Don't waste the $100. Save the cash for gas or add it to your next major upgrade fundage.

i have to say for that much i'd probably skip it too, i CAN overclock mine to around 2.5 and complete a 3dmark bench and it only increased my score from 8900 something to just over 10000.

I would simply overclock your current processor. The clock speed increase is so small that it doesn't really make any noticeable difference in performance.

I went from a 4400x2 to the FX-60 and didn't notice any marked improvement. Don't waste the $100. Save the cash for gas or add it to your next major upgrade fundage.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. I guess I can instead blow that on a new 24" screen, haha. Thanks to all who chimed in.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. I guess I can instead blow that on a new 24" screen, haha. Thanks to all who chimed in.

A 24" screen for $100? Sign me up...

(I'm guessing that's not exactly what you meant though :D)

Me personally, I'd jump on a FX-60 for $100 in a heartbeat. They're still bringing $250-300 used on Ebay right now. ;) Take the $100 FX-60 and sell it on Ebay for say $275 and then put that money toward a 24" monitor.

Don't take this the wrong way, but no it's not.

Second you sound either about 14, or someone over 40 looking for a thrill.

I don't see 100$ justifying it. Save up and get a new Processor and Motherboard, and some DDR2 800 or 1066.

Back