G[H]etto Cooling + Opteron 146 = FUN!

(cf)Eclipse

Freelance Overclocker
first we need some motivational music!

1_253.jpg

after getting pumped up, i walked to the store and bought two backs of ice. put them in a recycle bin with a bit of "insulation" around it. it's really dry, so condensation isn't a problem.

1_254.jpg

the cpu in question:

1_69.jpg

this opteron normally does ~3.05-3.1ghz max benchable depending on the ambient temps. with $2 of ice and a little bit of fiddling, a healthy boost in speed is realized :eek:

1_252.png

(yes, the time for that mhz isn't all that great, but i was having fun getting a lot more mhz out of the cpu)

just thought this would be an insipiration to those of you who want to push the limits but can't afford to buy stuff like DICE or phase :D

Impressive. I'm more impressed with the 271mhz 2-2-2-0. BH-5?

yup. it's actually 1m stable up to 282mhz at those exact settings. not bad, but not great for 2x256mb sticks :D

it goes into the bathtub for a refreshing bath :D

amusingly, it held coolant temps at ~5-8c for amost 5 hours after i got the ice... probably would have been a while longer before cpu temps got higher than normal :eek:

Kick ass eclipse, you are always going something cool :p

I've had ghettoer.

:p It works though, what I did was I used a mini-fidge full of waterbottles and froze them, so I rotated them around in a 5 gal bucket to keep temps cool.

fenderltd said:
Kick ass eclipse, you are always going something cool :p
i try ;) any suggestions for what to do next?

sculelos said:
Nice, what program where you using to change your memory timings?
didn't change any timings outside of the bios, though if i wanted, i would have used a64tweaker :cool:

LadyMakoFox said:
I've had ghettoer.

:p It works though, what I did was I used a mini-fidge full of waterbottles and froze them, so I rotated them around in a 5 gal bucket to keep temps cool.
lol2.gif

amsuingly, i sorta did that. you can't see cause i cropped it, but ontop of the fridge and all over the floor are bottles that i had sitting in the fridge for a couple hours.
i think we should start a new benching movement for the people like us who are too lazy to buy the 'proper' equipment :D

i'm not sure if this is really true water cooling, but whatever! :p

good thinking Mako. check the sig :D

Mythbusters showed that if you add lots of salt it will cool down stuff in ice water faster, try it! And add a pump in the ice tub to keep things circulating, especially through the radiator.

thewhiteguy said:
Mythbusters showed that if you add lots of salt it will cool down stuff in ice water faster, try it! And add a pump in the ice tub to keep things circulating, especially through the radiator.
i thought that was common knowledge :confused: i definitly learned that ice + salt = colder h2o back in 6th grade :p salt water is also kinda corrosive though. not entirely sure what my rad would do.
i also don't have random spare pumps laying around... but i already found a way around the circulation issue. :D

Ok this may be a stupid question but wouldn’t you get lower temps if you removed the radiator and just used the bin of ice water as your reservoir?

yup, but that would require a lot of extra effort to take everything apart and drain the mix of water/anti-freeze i have now, and some protection against chunks of ice going into the waterblock and clogging things up ;)

(cf)Eclipse said:
not entirely sure what my rad would do.
so does that mean you didn't use salt?

nice work BTW. i have been meaning to dump my rad in ice water for a while to see what would result and now will definitely do it sometime soon. i'll have to to take that 1M super-pi from you.

oh and remember your christmas challenge? i finally broke 27 with this tcc5 kit

nice 3oh6 :D
i'm still working at it. maybe when i get my benching OS back up and running again and iactually start learning how to really tweak for sPI, then i'll be set :cool:

I wana try it some day with dry ice in the water, but like no overclocking on this current mobo., I bet my new waterblock would give me better results.

LadyMakoFox said:
I wana try it some day with dry ice in the water, but like no overclocking on this current mobo., I bet my new waterblock would give me better results.
Dry ice in water isn't that much colder than regular ice because the dry ice will form water ice around it, effectively insulating it.

wouldnt most of use have to worry about condensation when going that cold?

(cf)Eclipse said:
nothing should be stopping you, ice is cheap! :D

What is stopping me is my rig is finally done and actually closed up! Next rig will be on a test station so things like this are easy to achieve. If the OCZ phase is released by Conroe I might not need a few bags of ice :)

Either way, I'm jealous you got to have some serious fun.

Budwise said:
wouldnt most of use have to worry about condensation when going that cold?

really I never had a problem with it when using ice water, I'm sure some would but just take and prep your pc for the cold.

LadyMakoFox said:
really I never had a problem with it when using ice water, I'm sure some would but just take and prep your pc for the cold.
using alcohol will go a long way :D

rick, i too am hoping that ocz gets that phase unit out soon. i have plans of getting one :cool:

(cf)Eclipse said:
i thought that was common knowledge :confused: i definitly learned that ice + salt = colder h2o back in 6th grade :p salt water is also kinda corrosive though. not entirely sure what my rad would do.
i also don't have random spare pumps laying around... but i already found a way around the circulation issue. :D

Hey first of all, nice job, always great to see fun, cheap alternatives to the more extreme measures that some people take, but going to back to the salt water talk, if you actually wanted to do it, you would have to make your own ice, adding salt to the water wouldnt actually do anything for your temps. In order to have an effect you would first add salt (or anything that mixes/dissolves in water) then freeze that into ice to use.

Begin boring chemistry explanation: (ignore if you don't care :) )

The reason that you get colder water when adding salt to water is a process called, easily enough, freezing point depression. It happens with any kind of solution. Pretty much what happens is that the dissolved particles in the solution interfere with the formation of a crystal lattice, i.e. makes it harder for the solution to form a solid. Normally you cant get water colder than zero celsius, cause thats where it freezes, and any additional cooling goes to the energy of the phase change until all the water has frozen into ice. This is also how ice cools. It warms up to zero celsius, then begins to melt, but the temperature doesnt change until all the ice has melted.

In your case, it doesnt matter if you add salt to the liquid water, since the ice is still relatively pure water, that is what controls your final temperatures. Now if you had a liquid and ice solution of "salt" water, you could get subzero temps, but in that case, be sure to make sure you let the cooling loop get moving before you put in the ice water, cause frozen water in a cooling loop = bad as Im sure you are well aware. If you are choosing a solute for the solution, the general rule is the more particles a compound splits into when dissolved, the greater the freezing point depression. A website that provides a better explanation is :http://dbhs.wvusd.k12.ca.us/webdocs/Solutions/BP-Elev-and-FP-Lower.html if you are interested.

End chemistry.

nice little writeup, thanks :D

i'm not too worried about my coolant freezing though, i'd estimate it to be about 25% anti-freeze, should be good to -10 to -15c i would guess :D

stryder2720 said:
I can sum this up.....Eclipse, You Da Man!! :D
not really, but thanks
lol2.gif

i'm gonna be working on some ways to get that time down, hopefully i can get the cpu mhz that far again :D

I'm still admiring it. If only I had my w/c stuff, and my Venus, I'd be chillin like a villain.

why not drill some holes in the bottom of the bucket and place it over a sink, that way the water drains out and you can keep adding ice instead of having water.

Holy crap...kinda makes me wanna custom build an aquarium to fit ontop of my case, so that I can completely submerge my radiator in it and fill the thing with ice.

That could actually be some real fun...hmm...it's an idea. :)

(cf)Eclipse - Did you hit those CPU temps with the passively cooled rad sitting in the water then? I'm really liking the idea of building a fish tank to fit ontop of the case and possibly having a metal enclosure around it to paint to match the case...it'd be pretty cool if the rad was completely submerged in ice like that I think. :)

DaCoOlNeSs said:
why not drill some holes in the bottom of the bucket and place it over a sink, that way the water drains out and you can keep adding ice instead of having water.
but then he has to move his computer and his monitor and everything to the bathroom/kitchen...LOL :p

Back