G73 Sandy or Sager with i7 and 470m

malus72

n00b
Trying to decide between this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004I1J864/ref=oss_product

and the Sager 7280 with a core i7 950 and 470m video card

The G73 is going to have the 460m and I'd rather have the 470m in the Sager , but I was wondering how you all think that new Sandy Bridge in the G73 will be for gaming overall ?

I can get that G73 for a bit more than 500 less than the Sager except the differing CPU's and GPU - so is it worth it for 500 to bump up from the 460m to the 470m (and I'm guessing the CPU's will be close to a wash ? )

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just bought the Toshiba Qosmio X505-8104 with the Sandy Bridge i7 2630, 8GB of RAM, a GTX460m, and 2 hard drives which I replaced one with an SSD for booting, apps and games.

It is awesome, I came from a dual core AMD 64 X2 with 8800GT and this thing smokes that like crazy.

Every day applications feel just buttery smooth and fast. I have played Dirt2, Grid, L4D2 and some others and it plays so smoothly even at 1920 x 1080 with high settings and 4 x MSAA. For a laptop I could not ask for much more.

I guess the 470m would last a little longer for gaming but I use mine for work also so I opted for the power of the sandy bridge with a little better battery life of the 460m.

You may want to wait a little as it seems the 6900 and 500 series mobiles may be out in a month or so in these gaming laptops.

Hope that helps a little.
DeathKing

Thanks Deathking , does help some. Of course I've just blurred the problem even more for myself but finally bit the bullet on one. For a bit more I upgraded to the from the 470 to yhe 485m video card which according to notebook check is a big jump for single card performance.

I'm spending a bit more , but it's going to be my main work and gaming rig for at least a year as I'll going from fast desktop and decent laptop to just one due to space issues till we get a new house ,( toddler and new one on the way due in May ) so I figured I might as well get something I know will be satisfied with.

If I hadn't gone for the 485m card I think I'd have leaned towards the Asus , but my worries were mixed stories of issues with Asus support and keyboard issues on that model/touchpad etc , while I get basically glowing reviews for both Sager , it's warranty support , and it's main resellers , Xotic PC and Powernotebooks seem to go overboard on customer service.

After a bit of handwringing I'm getting the Sager 7280 with the i7 950 and 485 and hoping it will do me well for a year or two of solid gaming performance when used for that.

The Sager will be the best performance of the options you had. Also I think the processor is a desktop version and the video card is modular so you may have an upgrade path there in the future if you want it.

Congratulations on the second child. I have 2 little girls myself.

If I would have had the extra coin I would have gone with a Sager or Clevo model also.

Have a great time with your new laptop it will be awesome!

Later
DeathKing

Back