G80 Souce: distant objects appear grey.

chanchan

Limp Gawd
Is this a fix for this bug yet? It's kinda annoying when you're playing and all you want to do is look at the eye-candy.

im pretty sure i get this in bf2142 sometimes....unless its just the game..

8800gtx

It has to do with the way the G80 handles fog, only a patch for Source can fix it.

I got killed many times is cs:source due to that bug. It makes it hard to tell if the guy is a T or CT from afar, in certain situations.

SoniCraze said:

8800gtx

Now that you mention it I think I might have glimpsed that as well, but it is rare and less obtrusive than the Source fog bug.

Cool glad ya all have the same problem :) Well I am just happy it is not my cardm or bad driver install ? First time I fired up HalfLife2 2560x1600, full option's, 6xAA/16xAF, plays smooth as butter but was wondering what the heck was up with object's looking very grey in the distance untill walked up to ?

I hope this is an easy fix, Even WoW seems to give me a little bit of this with trees/mountain's in the background ?

Driver issue, Valve blames Nvidia, Nvidia blames Valve.....still sucks....I die ALOT in CS:S because of it.

I still suck anyways in CS:S but it is fun....

I put the onus on nVidia to fix this. It works with every other card out there, you can't say this is the way our new hardware fog; it's up to every developer out there to patch old games.. The 8800 is plagued with compatibility issues with older/current games. I suspect this issue is affecting other games as well. I expected there to be some game issues when the 8800 was first launched since it is basically emulating DX9 and older DX versions through it's unified shaders and it's the first of a radically different design, but nVidia has fixed next to nothing in it's 2 months since launch. Right now the people that paid a premium to be an earlier adopter are basically beta testers.

where do u get this ? i had it the first day when i installed my 8800gts and then it dissappeard ... :cool:

This is strange; i've never noticed this bug, and i've played a lot of cs:source. Perhaps it's setting specific...even looking all the way down the longest hallways in office everything is colored accurately.

I thought this was a well known issue. It's painfully obvious in CS:S when I'm in a ff on server trying to shoot at distant opponents, I cap friendly's in the head. :(

I haven't noticed it in Company of Heroes or Medieval 2: Total War.

Ya its very well known... its in the driver release notes, its on maps with ambient fog stuff which is why italy dosen't show the fog issue, check out maps like dust 2 and others with fog/ambient dust etc. Its very obvious, and its really stupid that 2 months after release we still are dealing with it.

Doyan said:
Ya its very well known... its in the driver release notes, its on maps with ambient fog stuff which is why italy dosen't show the fog issue, check out maps like dust 2 and others with fog/ambient dust etc. Its very obvious, and its really stupid that 2 months after release we still are dealing with it.

I can't imagine why nvidia would blame valve for this issue either. It's only obvious as it only affects the G80.

Anyway, doesn't entirely bother me. Just takes me a half a second longer to kill a friendly/foe. :(

Ya after playing with it for 2 months you start to get used to it heh... but its still not right that it hasn't been fixed.

SPARTAN VI said:
I can't imagine why nvidia would blame valve for this issue either. It's only obvious as it only affects the G80.
That doesn't necessarily mean that it's an issue with NVIDIA cards.

Does anyone seriously expect Valve to fix this promptly? How long have we been dealing with the fact that the server browser no longer stores favorites or history? Valve has yet to even begin to address that the issue exists.

It seems like neither Valve nor Nvidia cares, the only thing that has ever been posted about the issue is a single sentence within the driver release notes and its been in there for a couple months now. I could see if source was a old engine or what not but the Source engine is quite popular and its not just a CS:source issue its in pretty much every game that the source engine touches.... :(

SPARTAN VI said:

Anyway, doesn't entirely bother me. Just takes me a half a second longer to kill a friendly/foe. :(

Who knows, the R600 (DX10 card) might just suffer from the same malady...

I sure hope NV or Valve fixes it....I have killed way too may team mates, and been killed way too many times because I did not hit the trigger fast enough...by the time the display reads who it is, it's too late. :D

There is a workaround; play the game in DX8. Although you might wonder if you want to play DX8 with your 600 bucks card. :(

Apple740 said:
There is a workaround; play the game in DX8. Although you might wonder if you want to play DX8 with your 600 bucks card. :(

*runs screaming from the room*

This problem is extremely easy to see in rooms that are not too big, but have objects you still have to walk a bit to reach. The teleportation lab with Alex shows this problem glaringly. As soon as you look at any object in the distance (computer monitor, chairs etc) they are all grey and washed out looking until you walk up to them. Even Barney had what looked like a grey "force-field" on when he walked into the room that housed your suit until you got closer...it really sucks too.

Thank's for bringing this topic back, I was just playing HalfLife2 again on my new Vista64 system and I really noticed this problem in the science lab, and I was really upset about it, I spent like $599 on this 8800GTX, and to have backgrounds appear grayed out is unacceptable :(

I wont say anything other than, just because other cards do not have this bug, doesn't mean it's a problem with the drivers, nvidia have no reason to put this on valve unless it's a problem with their engine.

Yeah, this is what I was gonna suggest, I have 8800GTS's in SLI and running DX8 is a hart breaker. However, if you have an eVGA card, go to their sight and flash your GTS to the latest BIOS, then DL and run the 97.92 drivers and you can run it in DX9 fog free!:D

I've emailed valve several times about this.
They admit there is a problem.....I've seen it in every HL2 game there is, most recently yesterday in HL2.......it was in EP1 but appears to be improved but not gone.

Valve said as of last month they had it fixed via steam update.....apparently not.
Just keep emailing valve......see what they say.

When every other card on the market plays it fine you can be relatively sure Nvidia's drivers arent handling the SP's the proper way.

When every other card on the market plays it fine you can be relatively sure Nvidia's drivers arent handling the SP's the proper way.
Have you seen how many card detections are in Source? It has a lot of tweaks for individual cards. Your statement assumes there is only one way the game is rendered. There isn't.

I'm not sure you can make that assumption. The 8800 is an entirely new arcitecture (as we all know). It sure doesnt make it easier to deal with, but I'm willing to cut both valve and nvidia some slack..........I've not seen this issue in any of my other games.......so..... I have to assume its source or nvidia(obviously).

I just hope it gets totally fixed before EP2/portal/TF2 comes out.

8800gtx

I get this with my ATI card on BF2142, especially on the titan, everyone is a light grey and it gives me a huge advantage especially in the dark areas :eek:. Its really random, not sure what causes it

I put the onus on nVidia to fix this. It works with every other card out there, you can't say this is the way our new hardware fog; it's up to every developer out there to patch old games.. The 8800 is plagued with compatibility issues with older/current games. I suspect this issue is affecting other games as well. I expected there to be some game issues when the 8800 was first launched since it is basically emulating DX9 and older DX versions through it's unified shaders and it's the first of a radically different design, but nVidia has fixed next to nothing in it's 2 months since launch. Right now the people that paid a premium to be an earlier adopter are basically beta testers.

It's not "emulating" anything.. what the hell are you talking about?

Anymore word on this??

This really wants to make me cry and kill someone at the same time.

this problem has been fixed and by the looks of it valve doesnt give a shit. im more concerned with my choke problem tho.

Back