Galaxy S3, Screen is dead, phone works, need data off of it, solution??

JPF_

Limp Gawd
Galaxy S3, Screen is dead, phone works, need data off of it, solution??

I replaced the glass on a Galaxy S3, screen worked for all of 20 seconds after booting back up (with out taking the sticky side of the glass off to ensure it all worked). Tinkered around and could only get artifacts to show up after. So either small glass dust (lots of shards/pieces of glass came off) got in between the lcd ribbon, or I over heated it.

The only other idea I had was to get another S3 and mimic the movements to unlock it and put it into a PC and mimic all the swipes and such to turn it "into a hard drive" and pull data off.

Annnd go!

well if you had adb turned on you could use that to pull the contents off or you could try hooking one of these to it then see if anything on the hdmi shows up you could clean the contacts and try again...

Isn't everything installed to the sd card? I don't ever save anything on the phone. Contacts etc are saved in the cloud.

Isn't everything installed to the sd card? I don't ever save anything on the phone. Contacts etc are saved in the cloud.

No SD card used on this phone, just local hdd.

Just needing the pics, contacts will come back with logging into droid account.

wait just checked i dont need to unlock mine to let the pc connect...
all i did was plug a usb cord in while on you just need to let it boot up then plug it in if it doesn't even do that there is nothing you could do short of sending it to some sort of data recovery place to desolder the memory and read it directly...

You don't need to do anything for the pc to see it, plug it in via usb and navigate to your data.

In the words of #5: Need Input!

how was the thing set up? aka: is it set to media mode? what happens if you plug it into a pc?

what info do you need off of the phone?

with another s3 it *may* be possible to do a Nandroid backup with something like clockworkmod (assuming non-touch version as it's easier to drive blind) but that would be an interesting challenge to say the least.

An top of the above suggestions, you could get a cheap MHL adapter and hook the phone up to an external display in order to navigate through it and back it up to any other external media.

But I'm not sure why you couldn't just access the internal storage with it plugged into a PC and powered on. You don't have to do anything on my Note 2 or wife's GS4 to access the data on a PC, just plug it in and it shows you both the internal and external (if available) storages to browse.

My phone wont allow access on my computer unless I unlock it via the phone while connected to the computer. I think it only does this if you use a PIN to unlock. Im sure your cell phone compnay could get the data off of it if you took it into the store.

yes, you are pooched, same thing happened to me, luckily a co-worker let me borrow his S3 and i just threw my board onto his screen unlocked it, removed the lock PERIOD, and then went on to retrieve pics etc.

Do you have that option?

It does act like a hard drive!!! Woohoo!

Thanks everyone.

Man replacing the glass was easy but I think too much shard dust got in between that lcd cable....

Just sucks because I feel horrid for it not working (not my phone).

thanks for all the info fellas!

Good job. Have you considered using a free sync service like Google Drive for backing up?

Also look into Kies... I use that to backup and restore my S3 and now Note3. Can back up contacts, texts, music, photos, emails, and just about all other data on the phone...

Is Kies good? I've heard mixed things about it. Someone described it as samsung commiting 'corporate suicide' and someone else said it was slow and unresponsive so I've held back.
Not sure what alternative there is though.

Kies will work I had a galaxy s3 that broke and I got the s4. The screen was broken on the s3 but it still booted up fine, the only problem is that you need to have the phone unlocked or it cant see the phone to back it up.

Back