games = harddrive buzzing

rusty

Limp Gawd
not sure if this is in the right forum, but its got to deal with games.

whenever i play games (CS:Source and Guild Wars), as soon as i enter into the game, my harddrive makes a buzzing noise. and as soon as a i minimize the games it goes away. the harddrive isnt "thinking", it just makes this annoying buzzing noise. any ideas on what it could be??

i have a maxtor 120gb 6Y120P0 split into 2 partitions.
part.1 is 40gb for XP and apps
part.2 is 80gb for music/dl's/etc

plz help!!
rusty

What vidoecard do you have? I have a feeling it's not the HD it's the videocard. Most if not all newer cards Nvidia FX series and up and at least the new ATI's turn the fan up when in a 3d app which makes a buzzing sound. I know my FX5900U and my new 800XL go "buzzy" when I start a 3d app.

I'm seconding the idea of your video card fan. My 9800 was dead silent all the time, but my x800 xt's fan buzzes when under load.

Run 3d Mark to verify. My fan buzzes up during the tests and quiets back down during the load screens between tests. If yours does the same, it's almost certainly the video card fan.

its not the fan guys its like a squeel and I even stopped the fan but its still going. Its not all the time just during certain thing. Oh, wont bother me. :)

If the harddrive isn't being accessed when it does it, it maybe doing some sort of internal function. At worse, it could be doing some sort of autorecovery when it detected a discrepancy when the OS tries to access a particular data.

Try scanning the harddrive for errors. Preferrably with a utility from the manufacturer :)

but the thing is, its ONLY when the games are open, like as soon as i alt-tab games and go back to desktop, everything is fine. hmmmm

If your HD activity light is staying on nearly constantly while playing, your likely doing HD memory caching (a.k.a. "Thrashing") The fix for this is to buy more RAM.

Back