Gaming Mice: Why do I like cheap mice better?

Demon10000

Supreme [H]ardness
I was wondering if someone could help me figure out why I like cheap, inexpensive gaming mice better than the expensive ones. Until today, I didn't even realize it until my mouse died and I had to plug a temporary one in.

I used to be spot on with the mouse (mmo gameplay, targeting and clicking just about anything). I then decided to "enhance" my game play by trying different gaming mice -- logitech, razer, etc...

I found that pointing and clicking was more "difficult". I would go across the screen to click something (even larger objects) and I would often overshoot them, or completely miss them all-together. I attributed it to me "getting older" and not playing as often as I once did.

Today, my fancy mouse died on me and I plugged in a cheap lenovo "here's a free mouse with your PC purchase" standard mouse that I got from work. I've found that I'm much, much more accurate than I was with the more expensive mouse (razer naga).

Is there a feature of these gaming mice that I need to tweak or turn down? Or is it just me and a personal preference?

Probably the mouse sensitivity and DPI settings are what throw you off. I had to adjust to my new mouse, after migrating from a cheaper one, I ended up turning sensitivity to about half of what it originally was.

Because you're an uncultured philistine who doesn't appreciate the finer things in life? ;)

Did you adjust the sensitivity after installing the different mouse? It may be that you just need to turn it down substantially compared to a mouse with a much lower DPI.

Could be high dpi settings by default, or maybe you didn't tweak the settings as much as you needed.

I'm very picky about my mouse too, and notice that i have to tweak all of the setpoint settings much more than say, this dell mouse i use at work, which just uses native windows mouse drivers.

There's also a setting in setpoint, for instance, which you can chose to use the native drivers instead of the logitech ones... just a matter of tweaking it to your liking.

I probably spend an hour or two whenever i get a new mouse or re-install setpoint just getting things how i like it.

I'm a huge gamer and I've never been into those expensive 'gaming' mice...my Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000 is perfect for gaming...don't need all that useless weight balancing, DPI selection nonsense...same goes for mouse pads...a decent surface pad is all that's needed even for the most hardcore of gamers...expensive gaming mice, keyboards and pads are mostly placebos to make you think you are getting some sort of competitive advantage

will use Microsoft Intellimouse optical 1.1 until I die or can't find new ones..

Did you leave Enhance Pointer Precision on in Windows? It makes high sensitivity mice feel terrible because you'll constantly overshoot. Mind if you've never turned it off before it'll take a couple days to get used to it being off, but once you do you'll never understand how you put up with it before.

It might be because your expensive mouse was made by Razer. Which all seem to be cheap mice with the wrong pricetag in radical dude packaging. :D

More "expensive" mice do have lots of useful stuff usually (keystroke to buttons, key combinations to buttons, per program profiles) that I wouldn't like to do without anymore. Even a cheap mouse is fine nowadays (depending on model, some are still awful). If you don't use extra stuff, there isn't really a terrible amount of difference.

It can be things like the shape of them too. For example, with the G9x i'm fine, but with the g500 (same sensor at the same sensitivity) I just can't use it as well due to the shape just not working. But then a cheap LS-1 i'm fine again.

It might be because your expensive mouse was made by Razer. Which all seem to be cheap mice with the wrong pricetag in radical dude packaging. :D

Pfft...the Boomslang 2000 was the best ball mouse ever made...the best mouse, hands down, for quite a while. The Lachesis I'm using is smoothest mouse I've ever used. Fanboi mode = ON! :D

Right there with ya thinking the Deathadder is the best mouse on the market. I switch between my DA, G9 and G700 often just cause I like to change things up and I would much rather have a high end gaming mouse. Now I have a couple games installed on the wife's computer and she has a super basic Microsoft mouse and I have no problem gaming with it but the feel and comfort of my gaming mice is much much better.

Plus all the customization you can do with the gaming mice is a nice perk too.

But at the end of the day, its your hand and what feels comfortable to you is all that matters. If you're more comfortable and can game better with a basic mouse, don't see how that's "wrong".

Agreed. I went from a wireless MS "for laptop" mouse that I used for about 7 years to a G400 recently.

The G400 required a QcK mousepad to be usable whereas the old MS mouse worked fine on a free mouse pad from 10 or so years ago. With QcK the G400 is about just as good as the old MS wireless mouse for gaming and whatnot. Though once you go wireless you can't go back. I am really hating the wire; it gets caught on the edge of the desk, or tangled in my HOTAS wire, gets in the way, ect. I never had any "input lag" with my cheap wireless mouse but wire snagging occurs frequently and is very annoying.

I also tried a Razer Deathadder and that was a heap of junk. Very inaccurate, a delay between pressing the mouse 1/2 button, and would suddenly jitter around when pressing the buttons. A lot of gaming mice seem to be far too sensitive right off the bat as well. With my QcK I do enjoy my G400, though I wish they made something a bit lighter, wireless, and without all of the extra lights and buttons to bring down the price to $40 or so. If they could do that and label it the "G650" or something I would gladly buy it.

I do believe most of this is marketing hype. I am looking for a new keyboard, and when searching for gaming keyboards you will come across keyboards that are $80-100+. After looking at various models (Razer, Logitch, Coolermaster Quickfire ect.) you have to wonder what makes them cost $70 more than a $30 keyboard. There is essentially no difference. Backlighting and extra keys are nice but not worth $70 more.

Last edited:
I have a friend that has spent thousands of dollars on very high end mice. He has got to have the best of the best. Me, My little 15.00 20.00 mouse does me just fine. Guess if you have the money you can do what you want.

I have a friend that has spent thousands of dollars on very high end mice. He has got to have the best of the best. Me, My little 15.00 20.00 mouse does me just fine. Guess if you have the money you can do what you want.

Your friend should start up a review site.

I've experienced pretty much the same thing. A lot of mice simply don't track in a manner that makes sense, the "feel" is way off and there's never a setting that seems to fix it. Logitech mice are particularly bad, they all track too fast and feel like they have hard-coded internal acceleration that can't be disabled. Yuck.

Currently using a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 on a Ratpadz XT. Loving this setup.

So far, in games that record accuracy, I'm always right up there at the top of the list. Seems to me high-DPI laser mice are just massively unwieldy gimmicks :confused:

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
@ Flogger

With reference to keyboards... if you're paying more than $70 for a keyboard it better be mechanical. That being said I don't think Logitech even makes a mechanical keyboard, all of their 'gaming' keyboards use horrid rubber domes.

The Razer Blackwidow is mechanical. CM Quickfire is also mechanical. The switches are what make these keyboards expensive, not the lights.

Once you go mechanical it's hard to go back. Regular keyboards feel like typing on mushy bread by comparison.

@ Flogger

With reference to keyboards... if you're paying more than $70 for a keyboard it better be mechanical. That being said I don't think Logitech even makes a mechanical keyboard, all of their 'gaming' keyboards use horrid rubber domes.

The Razer Blackwidow is mechanical. CM Quickfire is also mechanical. The switches are what make these keyboards expensive, not the lights.

Once you go mechanical it's hard to go back. Regular keyboards feel like typing on mushy bread by comparison.

I don't see how a louder clicking noise makes typing easier or more efficient. Though most mechanical keyboards seem to be $100+ which is just absurd for what you get.

The only mouse I've ever spent lots on was a Logitech G9X , otherwise I've bought cheap laser mice and cheap regular MS keyboards.

I think unless you are a major macro user , spending over $50 on a keyboard or mouse is not worth for most people.

I don't see how a louder clicking noise makes typing easier or more efficient. Though most mechanical keyboards seem to be $100+ which is just absurd for what you get.

You get a keyboard that will last a decade + and feel much better overall, typing and gaming.

I'm using the MX815 at the "middle" DPI setting. Couldn't get use to the maximum DPI setting.

I'm assuming you've never used a mechanical keyboard then. It doesn't make your typing easier, just way more satisfying.

You get a keyboard that will last a decade + and feel much better overall, typing and gaming.

The switches might (not always), but the PCB wont. I know of a few people who bought "keyboards to last a lifetime" which lasted for less than a year, due to the other hardware failing. These weren't cheap models either.

Cheap mice are a good alternative to using Bolo's when really pissed off ;)

and My DeathAdder is dead I think. Mouse button 4 no longer works and when I plug it in or when I restart windows I can't click on anything until I C+A+D and click Task manager a couple times. Then it works fine..except for mouse button 4...(^O

Gave me 5 good years I think.

Anybody know a good 7 button replacement for an MX518 or DeathAdder? DO NOT TELL ME to get some unholy decepticon looking thing plz.

and My DeathAdder is dead I think. Mouse button 4 no longer works and when I plug it in or when I restart windows I can't click on anything until I C+A+D and click Task manager a couple times. Then it works fine..except for mouse button 4...(^O

Anybody know a good 7 button replacement for an MX518 or DeathAdder? DO NOT TELL ME to get some unholy decepticon looking thing plz.

Logitech G700. I've had mine for about a year now, and I'm crazy happy with it.

I tried the G700 and the G500. Bought the G500 first cause it was cheaper and I didnt want wireless but I never really could get a comfortable grip with it. I tried it for a week and finally swapped it out for the G700 and I like it much better. Still wish it was wired and didnt weigh 40 pounds but its still superb and the one mouse that I finally found that I like as much, sometimes better than my DeathAdder.

Last edited:
Logitech G500 is all anyone need :cool:

Noooooo. There just something that doesn't suit me about it. I'm pretty sure it's the shape (the sensor, layout, software, weight and hardware is pretty much identical to the G9x, it's just the shape and they way you have to hold it)

I just replaced my broken DeathAdder (mouse 4 double/triple clicks) with a SteelSeries Sensei. I don't think I will ever buy another Razer mouse after using this, especially now that Razer has gone with Synapse for all their drivers. I stopped using Logitech because of their bloated SetPoint software and now Razer goes and does the same thing... But anyway, as for the Sensei, it is amazingly smooth and precise. Blows the DeathAdder away, assuming of course you can get used to ambidextrous mice. You don't even need to install a driver once you program the mouse to your preferred settings. It's $90 but it's worth every penny...

Since I will only use the side mouse trackball mice for gaming I dont really have much choices. More like one choice. I wish a company or two would throw some others to choose from for people like me.

I've stuck with Logitech mice mainly because I've been so used to the shape of them ever since the Dual Optical mouse or something. I've tried Razer mice before and could never get used to the feel of them. Then I remember their one mouse from a long time ago (can't remember if it was ball or optical) but it had the ball / sensor near the bottom of the mouse so you practically had to move your whole hand & forearm to get it to move (ugh) which is terrible for those of us who go with the 'twitchy wrist' movements.

I have a Das Mechanical as well as a Logitech Illuminated keyboard. Long story short, I use the Logitech at home and at work (as a software developer).

I have never gotten into the whole thing of expensive mice. I have tried a few and just don't see the point in them. A cheap mouse will point where I want it to point and click where I want it to click, as long as the buttons have a nice feel and the wheel has a satisfying scroll to it, I'm happy. I can kinda understand if you want one of those MMO mice so you can bind 50 million buttons and macros to the mice, but beyond that I've never seen the point to it all.

Keyboards are another matter, though that has nothing to do with gaming. For gaming I can just go to the shop, find whichever keyboard has a nice firm click, not too hard, not too soft and not spongy and it'll be fine. All my keyboards I used for gaming were cheap $10 to $20 jobs, the one that lasted me the longest was actually just a 2nd hand one that I bought from some dude's garage who had like 50 and I typed on each of them and found the one I liked best, $5 and it lasted me years.

However when I went to college and started to do a lot more typing, I found the need to buy something that didn't make my hands cramp after a few thousand words, so I started going down the mechanical keyboard road, getting a Razer Blackwidow and a Das Keyboard (use the Das at work and the Razer at home). Makes a huge difference for typing fatigue and cramps.

But as far as gaming is concerned, I've never seen the fascination with expensive input devices, which in the end you read the reviews and find out they have issues of their own anyway.

I think the best thing to do with input devices is just try them and see whether or not you like them. I think some people might be surprised to realise there's actually a lot of good cheap mice that have a nice feel which are significantly better value than gaming mice. Unfortunately that's not always easy to do.

mice are mice and keyboard are keyboard. neither of which will increase skill.

Mice is not mice. Ever try to play a FPS and you have a mouse with a ball instead of the optical/lazer and the fuzz of the mouse pad would gunk up and you cant move left for shit :p

I have a G19 keyboard, and TBH it was a waste of money, even if I did only end up spending $30 on it after gift cards. I hardly have any use for the screen, and although the adjustable back-lighting on the keys is really nice, I haven't touched an MMO for years so the macro keys don't get used either. At the time though my original style G15 was starting to just fall apart after years of use, and I didn't care for the new revision of the same keyboard. I also didn't want to spend even more on a Das Keyboard, although I've been wanting one for years now.

I have a G19 keyboard, and TBH it was a waste of money, even if I did only end up spending $30 on it after gift cards. I hardly have any use for the screen, and although the adjustable back-lighting on the keys is really nice, I haven't touched an MMO for years so the macro keys don't get used either. At the time though my original style G15 was starting to just fall apart after years of use, and I didn't care for the new revision of the same keyboard. I also didn't want to spend even more on a Das Keyboard, although I've been wanting one for years now.

I have a G510 and love it. I agree the LCD screen is a little gimicky but I use it with Core Temp to keep an eye on temps and like the graph that FRAPS has on it. I really love the "record macros on the fly" feature and use it often. The volume and mute buttons are invaluable to me with a wife always yelling at me from the other room and a 3 year old always running in to tell me something new he's discovered. The actual keystroke feel I love too. Its very smooth and snug and I enjoy typing on it. And I think it looks cool as shit too and love the backlighting and adjustable colors.

I admit to being a sucker for the play pretties on these gaming keyboards. They don't make me a better gamer but I just like them cause they're cool and fun to tinker with. And if there is one thing I've learned, it's that chicks love guys that use backlit keyboards. Amiright?

Back