Geforce 570 core speed issue

kirk121

Limp Gawd
I am having a problem with my 570 instead of the core running at the set speed of 800 on the core msi afterburner is showing that even underload that the core is running at 400mhz it is the same with the shaders and memory. Everything is down clocking, some times when I put the card under load it will go back up but not all the time.

Any one have an idea as to what is causing this, I am running the 270.61 drivers I have a 750watt power supply with 60A on the 12 volt.

Also is there anyway to stop the card from down clocking when It is not being used, it might be a problem with something not sensing that the card should return to its normal speed.

Update: when msi afterburner is showing the correct speeds and I have F@H running temps are 42C

Last edited:
A driver crash. Caused by OC, temps, or sumntin else.

Power managment -> Maximum performance

I was saying that it only returns to its proper speed after something like a driver crash or a restart, this also happens at stock speeds as well. Also under the control panel I already do have the power management set to max performance.

Also it has been folding for 7 hours at the correct speed, it is only when it does not have any load on the gpu that it slows down, and then does not recover. I think it might be a driver or it could be my older motherboard. There is a new bios but it never left beta, maybe I will try that.

Someone on the eVGA forums was reporting the same issue with a GeForce 560 - they indicated it only happens on drivers newer than 266.66, and on those drivers it does not occur.

Worth trying?

(I *think* I'm having th same issue - in testing, now, so...would be interested to hear results!)

270.61 with my sig rig, no downclocking issues at all (I have max performance set under power management in the nvidia control panel).

Someone on the eVGA forums was reporting the same issue with a GeForce 560 - they indicated it only happens on drivers newer than 266.66, and on those drivers it does not occur.

Worth trying?

(I *think* I'm having th same issue - in testing, now, so...would be interested to hear results!)

Ya that is the issue I am having, when done with a game or folding the gpu goes down to 400mhz. So it does sound like a driver issue with some cards at least, I hope it gets fixed soon.

Man this is really starting to piss me off, I didnt buy this card to only have it run at 400mhz on the core and 324 memory, I hate the new power management system / Drivers for the new cards. Right now my 275 has more power to run games that this pos. :(

Update: was doing so testing and if I restart the computer and let it down clock but then use something to stress the gpu it will go up to its proper speed, but if I just stress the gpu and then let it drop down it wont recover. Strange

Last edited:
Great and now it seems that F@H keeps telling me that the computer is unstable, even at 405mhz on the core. going to try the 266.58 drivers if this does not work then I might rma the damn thing, I might be able to play games but if the core will not run at its stock speeds all the time this thing is not worth my money.

I guess I need to explore the issue that it could be my now old 750w power supply could be the issue as well, I was hoping that it would not be a factor. But since it is 3 or so years old there is a chance that it could be the issue I have been over looking.

Last edited:
I guess I need to explore the issue that it could be my now old 750w power supply could be the issue as well, I was hoping that it would not be a factor. But since it is 3 or so years old there is a chance that it could be the issue I have been over looking.

the chance is slim given the symptoms you described.

the chance is slim given the symptoms you described.

ok that is what I thought, I just wanted to make sure. And I should note that untill I have a chance to test some games, my computer does not BSOD, lockup, or anything like that.

So far it is the core not returning to proper speed and F@H now not working just crashing. So I am running out of ideas as to what could be causing this other than drivers or the card its self. And now I have tested 3 different drivers all with the same result

I'm having a numpty day, so bare with me.

The GPU clock when not in use is suppose to be 405mhz or there abouts.

You say it goes upto the full clock speed in use, which is correct.

Are you saying that after use > drop ... it doesn't go back up again when being used the time after?

I swear I remember reading about this issue on EVGA forums but I can't find the thread now.

I'm having a numpty day, so bare with me.

The GPU clock when not in use is suppose to be 405mhz or there abouts.

You say it goes upto the full clock speed in use, which is correct.

Are you saying that after use > drop ... it doesn't go back up again when being used the time after?

Yes that is correct that it does not when it drops down to 50mhz, but if it only drops to 405mhz it will most of the time go up to 732mhz. I also ran 3dmark 11 and extreme settings with every custom setting maxed out for 14 hours and didnt crash or anything. So it must be something with the drivers, I remember when I first got my 275 it had the same problems with folding that it would just constantly crash and it took a driver revision or 2 to get it working properly. The strange thing with folding is that it worked for awhile and then all of a sudden quit working.

What kind of cooling do you have that you have 42C temps under load?

Just occurred to me - that's...wow, that's COLD. Even 'stock', a GeForce 560 Ti goes over 70C pretty easily. The infrared camera shots at Hardware.fr show the core of a GeForce 570 hitting almost 90C under load, easily.

What kind of cooling do you have that you have 42C temps under load?

Just occurred to me - that's...wow, that's COLD. Even 'stock', a GeForce 560 Ti goes over 70C pretty easily. The infrared camera shots at Hardware.fr show the core of a GeForce 570 hitting almost 90C under load, easily.

Stock running at 85% speed, as high as msi afterburner will allow. I am in a cool room and run my computer most of the time at night after 1am, when I get off work. 42c is at lest what msi afterburner and speedfan show, it does not feel like really hot air is coming out of the back of the card.

Update: Just noticed at guru3d that there is a new set of beta drivers the 275.27's, will update later if it helps any. And I should note that I have been playing some mass effect 2 and dragon age 2 highest details and no crashes or major graphics issues noticed on them.

Last edited:
Well I ran fur mark burn in with all settings to stress it the most on for 5 hours or so and no problems, but folding cant complete 1 step with out giving me a unstable machine error.:mad::confused:

Well after a few restarts and the beta driver it seems that the core issue might have been fixed, but now I am out of the folding gpu area until a driver fix comes along or a new gpu client.:mad:

Thanks to everyone who helped me.

Last edited:
Back