GeForce GTX 275 vs 2 8800gts's

kirk121

Limp Gawd
Is it worth upgrading from 2 8800gts 640mb cards in sli to a GeForce GTX 275 single card? I am just trying to decide if it would be a good upgrade choice for me.

Thanks

I dont really need any benchmark info just wondering what others think.

Is it worth upgrading from 2 8800gts 640mb cards in sli to a GeForce GTX 275 single card? I am just trying to decide if it would be a good upgrade choice for me.

Thanks

I dont really need any benchmark info just wondering what others think.

It will be. The GTX 275 should be faster than those two cards in SLI, but the big difference is in higher minimum framerates, which is better for a smoother gameplay. The GTX 275 is also better as you go up in resolution and AA levels.

If you already have two 8800's I wouldn't get a single gtx275. A gtx 295 would be a huge difference though

Your average may go down a little and your max FPS's will definitly be lower, BUT your minimums will definitly be much higher with the 275. What you feel when it bogs is your minimums coming into play, this is the exact situation I had when going from 2x9800GTX+'s to one GTX285. I was like what the fudge when I saw less max FPS's but when I gamed it was like hot knife through butter and oohhh sooo ssmmoooottthhh :p

This has been stated already so its backing up my realistic gaming scenario!

Silus +2

Last edited:
OK thanks for all the replys, I think I will get one and a little later get another:D My server needs a good folding gpu any ways

GTX 260 (192SP) can beat 9800GX2 when you turn up the candy mark
+
9800 GX2 should beat dual 8800 GTS 640MB
=
GTX 275 should be much faster than 2x8800GTS 640MB

Ok I decided to go with the xfx brand video card from newegg,

this is the one that I got: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

I am now looking to get a full card watercooling block for it, but I am unsure of what to get. When I look at frozen cpu there are ones for the 285 version 1 and version 2 blocks, and also one for the 295 but I am not sure if the 285 will fit it or not and if it does which one do I get. Can any one help me figure this out? Thanks

Is this my only option for water cooling? http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8...Card_Liquid_Cooling_Block.html?tl=g30c311s912

Also there is a note on the koolance site: COMMENTS: Newer GTX 275 boards should use VID-NX285S. Earlier GTX 275 (reference) cards should use VID-NX275, how do I know what one to use?

Thanks for the help

Sorry if this should be moved to the cooling part of the forums, I will make one there.

Last edited:
I am kind of sad at my purchase now that I have looked into watercooling it. I have noticed not many options for it.:(

I didnt want to use a full block on my 285's because of them cooling the entire card and bringing extra heat into the loop along with higher GPU temps. Also there is no reason to cool the ram chips with anymore than copper heatsinks like some enzotech, and a couple for mosfets and VRM's. You should consider running a swiftech MCW60 Rv.2 waterblock on your card as you can get them from newegg for under $40. The Revision 2.0 of these blocks that newegg sells have the Nvidia 200 series adapter kit in it so you dont need to buy any thing else to mount it and I can get you the part numbers for the enzotech ram sinks Im using. Im running two of those and I think its great I can use them on another video card down the road and also getting insane low temps like 26-33 celcius load with my water chiller system.
DSC09500.jpg
This is a picture of my two GTX 285's with the MCW60's and enzotech ram sinks, I still needed to put the voltage side of heatsinks on but you can get an idea from these.

Thanks for the help, right now I am trying to find out if the version of the card I got is the first version or the second one:confused: If possible I would like to go with a full card cooler, but I might go with what manist said if I cant find out.

ok never mind I cant do the full card watercooling, my card layout is different then the one on the waterblock I listed, I have parts in the way. xfx used some different parts than some of the other cards. :(

Last edited:
i stick to what u got untill the new cards come out, unless u really want to save some electricity

MANIST can you please post the part numbers for me thanks, also would you have a pic with everthing put on it before you put them into your system manist?

And what are you using to hold on the heatsinks to your memory and voltage regulators?

thanks

Ok, If I had a GTX275 to mod this is exactly what I would order and also WHAT I have on my 285's :)

These are all from newegg as they beat out all the other H2O shops when comparing price's.

N82E16835108095 This is the Swiftech MCW60 waterblock (AWESOME)

N82E16835708008 2 sets of these 14x14x14mm ram sinks, "ENZOTECH brand ONLY"

N82E16835708012 I used these sinks for VR's and Mosfets

N82E16835708011 These are just smaller sinks for different VR's and Mosfets also.

Make sure you take your time and clean all of the left over thermal grease junk that comes off of your ram chips or these will not stick to them. I used rubbing alchohol on them then I used very fine 1500 grit or so sandpaper just to give them a liitle bit of grip to hold on to. When sanding down RAM chips or other components BE VERY LIGHT TO TOUCH, just give them a scuff not a sanding where you cant read the ram chip labels. After I slight scuffing then go back over it again with some rubbing alchohol again to make sure there super prepped :) All of the copper enzotech heatsinks come with thermal tape that works very well when you have prepped everything good. On just a couple that didnt like to stay on very well I used just a micro dab of superglue directly in the middle of the heatsink thermal pad. Dont go overboard on the superglue or when you pull them off you might have a ram chip get pulled off, I had to go back to stock for RMA and mine came off easy so be light on the glue.

Cooling all of the VRM's was actually worth 10mhz more on the core so they are worth spending the money on.

Make sure you purchase 2 sets of the ram sinks so you will have the amount you need for your card, my 285's needed 2 sets each. These ramsinks are nice because they will clear under your water block hose and they fit perfect on V-Ram. The other 2 different size sinks will allow you to cover almost all of the VR's and Mosfets. I will put up my pictures of it Monday when I get to work so you can see where I put each heatsink. I used a High end laser thermomiter to record each components heat and applied heatsinks to every component I felt generated to much heat output.

This is all worth it as of now I have a GTX285 that would only do 720core/1590shader/2850ram on stock cooling. After Voltage modding and cooling modding I have it stable at 795core 1750shader and 3040mhz ram so That is a huge increase in speed for little amount of work.

Ok, If I had a GTX275 to mod this is exactly what I would order and also WHAT I have on my 285's :)

These are all from newegg as they beat out all the other H2O shops when comparing price's.

N82E16835108095 This is the Swiftech MCW60 waterblock (AWESOME)

N82E16835708008 2 sets of these 14x14x14mm ram sinks, "ENZOTECH brand ONLY"

N82E16835708012 I used these sinks for VR's and Mosfets

N82E16835708011 These are just smaller sinks for different VR's and Mosfets also.

Make sure you take your time and clean all of the left over thermal grease junk that comes off of your ram chips or these will not stick to them. I used rubbing alchohol on them then I used very fine 1500 grit or so sandpaper just to give them a liitle bit of grip to hold on to. When sanding down RAM chips or other components BE VERY LIGHT TO TOUCH, just give them a scuff not a sanding where you cant read the ram chip labels. After I slight scuffing then go back over it again with some rubbing alchohol again to make sure there super prepped :) All of the copper enzotech heatsinks come with thermal tape that works very well when you have prepped everything good. On just a couple that didnt like to stay on very well I used just a micro dab of superglue directly in the middle of the heatsink thermal pad. Dont go overboard on the superglue or when you pull them off you might have a ram chip get pulled off, I had to go back to stock for RMA and mine came off easy so be light on the glue.

Cooling all of the VRM's was actually worth 10mhz more on the core so they are worth spending the money on.

Make sure you purchase 2 sets of the ram sinks so you will have the amount you need for your card, my 285's needed 2 sets each. These ramsinks are nice because they will clear under your water block hose and they fit perfect on V-Ram. The other 2 different size sinks will allow you to cover almost all of the VR's and Mosfets. I will put up my pictures of it Monday when I get to work so you can see where I put each heatsink. I used a High end laser thermomiter to record each components heat and applied heatsinks to every component I felt generated to much heat output.

This is all worth it as of now I have a GTX285 that would only do 720core/1590shader/2850ram on stock cooling. After Voltage modding and cooling modding I have it stable at 795core 1750shader and 3040mhz ram so That is a huge increase in speed for little amount of work.

sweet and thanks for the help, I cant wait to get started I love the card I just want to keep it cool as where I live it can easily get to 40c where my computer is no AC :(
And what really sucks is that the only spot with thermal grease is the gpu, everything else uses some king of thermal pad.

Hi All,

Just wondering if you had some feedback from this operation, kirk121? I have the exact same card as you and am about to convert to watercooling as described here.

I'm not going to try and overclock the card at the moment, so do you think that some of the vregs and MOSFETs could be left bare? In the picture on another post on this forum:

http://www.hardforums.com/showthread.php?p=1034614623

... it looks like only the GPU and RAM chips are cooled, but will it be stable like this do you think?

Thanks for your help

Back