gigabit crossover cable

MetalDwarf

[H]ard|Gawd
I think i know the answer to this but i want to be sure before i click "buy"

I have two computers, in a LAN connected to a 100mbit router. I want a gigabit connection between the two.

Computer #1 File Server
built in 100mbit connection
PCI Intel gigabit NIC

Computer # 2 Workstation
Built in gigabit NIC
generic PCI NIC

can i run a crossover cable between the two computers gigabit connections, and also have the 100mbit ethernet run back to the router?

both machines would have two ethernet connections, the one to the router is 100mbit which shares the internet, and a gigabit between the two machines over a crossover cable, allowing file transfers/video streaming at gigabit speeds.

or will the network cards fight and try to send files etc over the 100mbit line and ignore the gigabit connection?

Gigabit cables are extinct..gone the way of the floppy drive. Part of the standard for gigabit NICs is auto MDI-X, so just slap a standard cable in there..the NIC will figure out if it needs to cross or not. As long as at least 1 of the 2 NICs is gigabit...you're all set.

Anyways..you can tell Windows which connection to use for the internet by adjusting the metric setting in your TCP/IP properties.

Also you're better off unbinding server and workstation services from your WAN NIC.

Gigabit cables are extinct..gone the way of the floppy drive. Part of the standard for gigabit NICs is auto MDI-X, so just slap a standard cable in there..the NIC will figure out if it needs to cross or not. As long as at least 1 of the 2 NICs is gigabit...you're all set.

Anyways..you can tell Windows which connection to use for the internet by adjusting the metric setting in your TCP/IP properties.

Also you're better off unbinding server and workstation services from your WAN NIC.

Correction: Crossover cables are extinct

wow, stupid database crash killed everyone's recent posts.

the answer to the last question is 'no'. as long as you tell your app to use the directly connected network to access the other server, it will use that connection.

Yeah crossover is basically extinct, but for some stupid reason, I still see them bundled with routers and DSL modems.

Correction: Crossover cables are extinct

LOL...laughing at this mis-type for the 8th time!

And, the 100 meg connection..just unbind server and workstation services from it...so file and print sharing will never use that connection. Windows runs more responsive when network browing isn't multi homed either.

A simple solution would be to have the gigs on their own IP network. I.E. 100s = 192.168.1.0/24, 1000s = 192.168.2.0/24. Then browse to them by IP, or setup different hostnames for each IP in your hosts file, I.E. PC1-192.168.1.100, PC1GIG-192.168.2.100. Also don't configure a default gateway on the gig links and you'll always use the 100s unless you specifically address them by the gig IPs.

Back