Gigabit SFP ?

TrueGamer

Limp Gawd
Correct me if im wrong, if a switch has 4 SFP slots, they are meant to have fiber in correct. Also how would that work, can anyone give me a brief explanation.

Usually, yes, however, there are various SFP's that you can buy, single mode fiber, multi-mode fiber, GigE copper and 10/100 Copper (as well as 10/100 fiber as well). SFP's give you the ability to add whatever type of interconnect you need, provided that you switch supports the SFP that you want to put in it. Most switch vendors lock the SFP ports to work with ONLY SFP's that are made by the switch vendor.

I was looking at the Netgear

and saw that it was SFP in, and was wondering if i would have to opt for a different switch if i couldn't go with Fiber in,or would i be able to get an attachment for it so i can use an Ethernet cable

Or, could someone recommend a Switch with at least 40+ ports, dont worry about price

TY for the impute, But i was also looking at this Dell switch and was curious about it, any thoughts

Linky

Well what do you need to do with this switch?

Do you need Layer 3?
Do you need Power Over Ethernet?

If yes to both, then a Cisco 3650 (WS-C3560-48PS-S) would suffice, if no to both, look into a Cisco 2960 (WS-C2960-48TC-L).

Cisco makes a GBIC for everything like other have mentioned. Multi mode fiber (GLC-SX-MM), Single mode fiber (GLC-LH-SM), 1000Base-T (GLC-T).

Procurve 2650.

48 ports, 2 dual-personality ports, pretty cheap too. Lifetime warranty.

Back