Gigabyte DS3, E6300 - Problem

Masako

Weaksauce
Hey everyone,

I built a new system about a month ago, and followed the various information I found on this board about overclocking the E6300 on the DS3 motherboard. I've overclocked my 6300 to 3,010mhz (430x7) and up until recently, it's been quite stable. Now, as of recently I've had a bit of a problem, and what's even worse is that it's not very consistent.

When I'm playing games, occasionally my computer seems to "hick-up" for about 20 seconds, where the screen completely freezes, and the sound loops, and then the game completely returns to normal. This seems to happen completely randomly, and I've experienced it in both Company of Heroes, and CS: S. I've run Prime 95 stable for about 5 hours, and I've just started running orthos.

Now, my question is, what would you folks recommend I do to try and determine the cause of the problem? I've dropped the cpu down to 420x7 and the problem still occurs, and I may drop it down to 400 and try again. This is irritating because of how time consuming it is for me to test for the error. I could be playing a game for 30 minutes before I see it, or see it within 10 minutes; seems random.

vcore is about 1.325, and I'm embarrassed to say I don't actually know the setting to change vdimm, so perhaps the ram isn't getting enough juice? The ram I use is Corsair XMS2, and apparently it's meant to run at 1.9v stock.

In any case, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and if you need me to provide any more information just ask, and I'll do so promptly.

Thanks in advance!

Your problem is not indicative of insufficient voltage to your RAM. It sounds like a bus access issue, most likely your hard drive(s). What other applications do you have running in the background? Any anti-virus? Are your drivers up to date for all of your hardware? Are you sure you don't have any viruses?

Hi there,

All my drivers are up to date, I'm sure I don't have any virus's, and I run Nod32 anti virus in the background, which has never been an issue before. It's actually crossed my mind that it's a hard drive issue, but I'm really not sure how to address that.

Push ctrl+f1 in bios to unlock memory options if you havent already.

What sound card are you using? Sounds like it could be a sound card driver issue. Normally if my overclock isnt stable ill get the BSOD rather then just freezeing.

Which bios version are you using and which rev. of the board is it? I'd recommend using F6 or later. I'm gonna guess yours came with F3 loaded on it.

I also wonder, does this freeze only happen during games? Can you hear the HD grind during the freezes? I'd suggest watch a movie and see if it still freezes during it.

I'm using an x-fi extreme gamer, but keep in mind, I just installed this yesterday, and while using my old card (a Turtle Beach Montego DDL) I still had the same problem. My board is using the F4 Bios, and I never bothered flashing simply because they seemed to work just fine for me. Also worth mentioning is I let orthos run over night on blend, and it's run 10 hours stable.

Edit: Yes, this freeze only happens during games. I've watched quite a few movies and have never had the issue.

To check sound as a possible culprit, diable all sounds in your game(s) and run them that way for awhile.

For the HDD issue, hmmm, a simple test for that escapes me at the moment. Aside from trying a different HDD, the only thing I can think of atm is maybe try running diskeeper or some other program that is HDD intensive.

1st: Update to F7 bios. Trust me its the best BIOS so far. I've gone through them all. It will eliminate the possibility of some BIOS issue. JUST DO IT!

2nd: Do you have your videocard overclocked? Have you updated / changed the videocard drivers lately!?! Try running videocard at stock & uninstalling & reinstalling the latest drivers.

3rd: Try to run stock CPU overclock and test.

4th: Try to underclock your videocard.

I'm leaning toward it being a videocard problem obviously if it only happens during gaming.

chrisf6969 said:
1st: Update to F7 bios. Trust me its the best BIOS so far. I've gone through them all. It will eliminate the possibility of some BIOS issue. JUST DO IT!

2nd: Do you have your videocard overclocked? Have you updated / changed the videocard drivers lately!?!

3rd: Try to run stock CPU overclock and test.

4th: Try to underclock your videocard.

I'm leaning toward it being a videocard problem obviously if it only happens during gaming.

I'll consider flashing to F7, though I'll have to do it through windows as I don't have a floppy drive.

No, my video card isn't overclocked at all.

Regarding flashing, what's the "best" method of flashing the bios through windows? I would really love to avoid nixing the board by flashing incorrectly.

Masako said:
Regarding flashing, what's the "best" method of flashing the bios through windows? I would really love to avoid nixing the board by flashing incorrectly.

Just use Gigabytes flash utility @BIOS it works well. Just use the version off the CD they gave you. Ive used it twice now to flash my DS3 and it worked flawlessly. Just make sure you set everything to stock first to avoid any possible problems.

Masako said:
I'll consider flashing to F7, though I'll have to do it through windows as I don't have a floppy drive.

No, my video card isn't overclocked at all.

Definitely update to F7 it is a must!. (F8 appears as good but it is very new and so far unproven.... long story).

As stated just use the Gigabyte Bios Util in Windows. I was very weary of flashing in Windows until fairly recently. Now I have done it half a dozen times I feel it is by far the easiest method.

A good practice is to knock back to stock speed before you update especially as you are having problems, and then re-overclock.

heh, Cpu-Z is saying my bios is F4, and the @bios utility is saying F7. What's a sure fire way to determine which bios is currently running? I'm not going to flash if I don't have to.

Masako said:
heh, Cpu-Z is saying my bios is F4, and the @bios utility is saying F7. What's a sure fire way to determine which bios is currently running? I'm not going to flash if I don't have to.

Just do it already you pansie!

CPU-Z is right.

Yeah if anything is wrong it's going to be CPU-Z because it says mine is still F3 even though it's really F6. The @bios would be correct.

chrisf6969 said:
Just do it already you pansie!

CPU-Z is right.

Just FYI, I've had better luck with F8. With F7 my sound card would intermediately disappear/quit working. My NIC would just stop working and Windows 2D desktop would even slow to crawl. Before F8 came out, I had went back to F6.

Donnie27 said:
Just FYI, I've had better luck with F8. With F7 my sound card would intermediately disappear/quit working. My NIC would just stop working and Windows 2D desktop would even slow to crawl. Before F8 came out, I had went back to F6.

You know, that's interesting actually. Sometimes my sound card completely disapears, and I have to reboot for it to come back.

I still haven't had any luck correcting the issue. I'm sitting at 400x7 right now, and I've dropped my ram voltage a bit, and raised the (G)MCH +0.1v, so I'm going to go test a game again and see if that's helped. I also noticed that one of the temperature monitors was left on by accident, and was adjusting fsb and voltages, so a theory of mine is that I would be playing a game, and as the cpu heated up (let's say, 30 minutes into playing), it would hit the threshold, and bump the voltages down, causing the game to freeze briefly. I hope I'm right!

Edit: Still doing it unfortunately, and I'm completely out of idea's now.

Masako said:
I still haven't had any luck correcting the issue. I'm sitting at 400x7 right now, and I've dropped my ram voltage a bit, and raised the (G)MCH +0.1v, so I'm going to go test a game again and see if that's helped. I also noticed that one of the temperature monitors was left on by accident, and was adjusting fsb and voltages, so a theory of mine is that I would be playing a game, and as the cpu heated up (let's say, 30 minutes into playing), it would hit the threshold, and bump the voltages down, causing the game to freeze briefly. I hope I'm right!

Edit: Still doing it unfortunately, and I'm completely out of idea's now.

Yes, I agree with Post #20, try out Xtremesystems.org.

I also wonder if your cpu is getting too hot and the mobo is throttling your cpu as a result. Do you have the mobo features enable that do that? I think it's called EIST and C1E or something like that, trying to remember from work.

Yeah it takes awhile to get through that XS post but i'm used to translating broken english at this point.

I had the same problem when playing CS:S with 420FSB+, game froze and the computer locked up and had to reset...

I reflashed my bios to F8 and everything seems to be stable w/ stock voltages on vCore and +.3 on vDimm (Corsair XMS2 PC2-5400).

By the way, set MCH & FSB voltages to +.1v, anything higher causes the northbridge to run too hot. If you leave it to auto, it gives it more than +.1v which decreases stability b/c of the extra heat.

Just set the damn thing to stock speed(2400) and see what happens.

It's hard to get you to do anything... :eek:

Back