Gigabyte GA-EG45M-DS2H mATX board at the Egg

I saw that and was hoping they were refering to the the 4x-sized PCI-E slot, not the full size PCI-E slot.

I think they're trying to market this at the HTPC builders, who generally like to stick with onboard graphics since it's cheaper, and allows for them to use the slot for a TV tuner and things like that.

Really though. Did they run out of PCIe channels / lanes or something? What's the use of having a PCIe 16x sized slot that runs at only 4x?

Oooh nice Asus board. I checked their site yesterday and didn't see these. Why are they putting VGA ports on these though instead of HDMI?

the specs of one of em says hdmi.

P5Q-EM
Efficient Power Saving and Home Theater PC Enjoyment!

* Intel LGA775 Platform
* Intel® G45/ ICH10R chipset
* ASUS EPU-4 Engine
* ASUS Express Gate
(((((((((((((((((((((((((( * Multi-VGA Output: HDMI/DVI/RGB Support))))))))))))))))))))))))))
* High Definition Experience of Vision and Audio
* 100% Japan-made Solid Capacitor and 5000 hrs VRM Solid Capacitor

The P5Q-EM may be my next board. I wish Asus would arrange their slots like Gigabyte's boards though. Would be nice to have the PCIe 16x slot at the very top.

The P5Q-EM may be my next board. I wish Asus would arrange their slots like Gigabyte's boards though. Would be nice to have the PCIe 16x slot at the very top.

are you nuts?

Asus' RAM slots are a bit lower on the board, with anything bigger than a 8500GT physically couldn't install RAM into the slots, and I'm not just talking about having to remove the GPU to get at the release tabs, but literally the long PCB would interfere with the RAM slots

They could re-arrange the layout to accommodate different expansion slot configurations...

are you nuts?

Asus' RAM slots are a bit lower on the board, with anything bigger than a 8500GT physically couldn't install RAM into the slots, and I'm not just talking about having to remove the GPU to get at the release tabs, but literally the long PCB would interfere with the RAM slots

P5Q EM and P5E VM HDMI seems the same lay out

http://extremetech.myweb.hinet.net/KO17.JPG

The RAM place even allow me to install the water block

Any idea how the G45 compares to the 780G?

To generalize, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the integrated video will not be up to snuff on the Intel board. The fact that it's an intel board and a fierce chipset, those wishing to not use the integrated video will be able to overclock to the moon.

If you're not running discrete and CPU performance isn't hindering you go AMD, if you're going to plop in an add-on card go Wintel.

What's with those heatsinks? They seem a lot worse than the P5E-VM HDMI. Anodized aluminum, and about 2x smaller..

The heatsinks on the new Asus G45 mATX boards are smaller too. Maybe these new chipsets are cooler?

Nice. The SATA ports are along the edge of the board (big cards won't block them now). Looks like the NB heatsink has a heatpipe too. Hopefully the RealTek ALC1200 on it is better than the ALC883 on the P5E-VM HDMI.

Too bad this is the G43 board though. Hopefully these stores get the Asus G45 boards in soon.

What's the difference between the g43 and 45? Would've jumped on this if I didn't have an amd 780g and cpu already

The G45 supports 16GB of RAM, and has X4500HD graphics. The G45 only supports 8GB of RAM, and has X4500 graphics. I think the G45 might be rated for slightly faster RAM also.

Why would Asus put a better NB cooler and superior SATA port placement on their G43 board instead of their G45 board?

may i ask y this is not a G45 board but it is a G43? i thought it says it is G45... is it me or i m reading it wrong???
and also so u guys prefer the ASUS over the Gigabyte???

Back