Hi guys, I built a new system around a week ago:

Q6600 G0
Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
Corsair 4*512MB XMS2 8000UL
BFG 8800 640MB GTS OC2
Creative X-Fi Gamer
Seasonic S12+ 650
Antec P182

I kept stock settings until 2 days ago, where I raised the FSB to 300 (to get 2.7 GHz) as my beginning to ocing this setup. Worked well, nice and stable, turned pc off over night and worked this morning. Now when I come back after leaving it off again, it won't complete the boot, resets (and loads stock settings) and then turns on at stock settings (even thought it worked fine before). Even just settings the FSB setting to manual and leaving it at 266 while leaving everything else the same results in the same action. Am I missing something, or is this board unnecessarily being a biatch?? RMA time?? :(

You might be doing something wrong. Did you read the guides?

How do you know it is stable? you ran prime or ortho? What are ur temps?

Stock temps are 28/30 and 42/43, overclocked to 2.7GHz they were 31/32 and 45/46. I ran the new prime (4 threads) over night (must have been around 8-9 hours). I've read a few places that the board tends to do this for no reason (actually the reason is that it thinks it won't boot so before it tried it resets itself) but this doesn't make sense, it worked and now it doesnt :S

EDIT: Also, overclocking via the software EasyTune 5 (however against I am on software overclocking) works as expected while in Windows (tried at 2.7 GHz).

Cheers for the help! It came with the latest stable BIOS, but I'll try the beta driver and get back with the results!

You have something set too aggressively, I suspect memory timings due to your 4 sticks. Try memory at 5 5 5 15 or [Auto] instead of the manuf specs.

Temps probally have little to do with it, to access your issue we need all Voltage and memory timings settings.

You can cut and paste out of my guide and edit in your actual settings so we can see what you are doing. Add in anything relevant to your )35 board not found in the P965 (but the bios are 99% the same) .

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1030795318

Cheers for the reply. Seriously nothing is set too aggressively, even if I set mem timings and voltage to auto and just change the clock to manual keeping it at 266 it won't work (so that everything is stock including voltages, except the option to change clock to manual). Mem timings are set to 5-5-5-12 at DDR2-667 so nothing taxing on it (it runs at 5-5-5-12 at DDR2-1066). Temps are excellent too, since everything is at stock. I'm not at home right now but I'll definately post all my settings along with temperature readings tomorrow during the day, just in case. Thanks for the time :)

I've updated my BIOS to the latest beta (F4I) with the same results. I've taken screenshots of the settings, hope you don't mind.

Leaving all settings as shown (stock) and making a small change such as changing "CPU Host Clock Control" to Enabled with the same FSB will yield the same problem. Infact making ANY non-voltage change will cause this problem. I've tried pumping up the memory voltage to 2.2/2.3 (my memory's requirement is 2.2). There is also alot of vdrop on the CPU so boosting it to 1.37500V in the BIOS reads 1.27V in CPU-Z, but even this didn't work.

Temps are in the last pic (including the 15 degree offset for the g0 variant's cores). Also ignore the 12V line's reading, the computer wouldn't be on if it were true :D

EDIT: You don't think it's the memory do you? It's not listed as supported but neither was it in my AW8-MAX and it worked wonders. Maybe I should buy some cheap compatible RAM to test? (although I rather wouldn't)

I think you are on to it, here is what I am thinking and why. You excellent pics gave me the clue. What I noticed is that your memory sub-timings appear very agressive my Refresh to Acc delay is in the mid 40's and thats after I tweaked it down some with memset (memory sub timings tweaker program).

I think that is older memory and the sub timings programed into the chip and read by the board when in auto mode are for an chipset (AMD perhaps) that has a different memory controller setup or whatever. When the first P965 boards came out, the predecessor of your current P35 board, there were memory compatibility problems all over the place, mainly because memory manufacturers where not following specs when programming the SPD chip on the memory that holds the timings. They where programming the chip so that they ran tight timings in an attempt to help novice uses get the performance without having to manually set the timings in the bios. Well on the new intel chipsets this caused havoc as the chipset was designed for JEDEC standard 1.8V voltages at boot and a lot of memory would not work. I digress.

I am going to list my settings for the ram sub timings, take note of yours as they are, take the setting off of auto and try mine just for fun. you can always put yours back by just going to Auto again or worst case a cmos/bios reset/clear . If this does not work I would start talking to Redbeard the Corsair Rep in the memory sub-forum and mention my theory and see what he says. Coursair might reprogram them for you. You could limp along on a cheap stick of something while they were gone.

I think there is a place in the coursair forums you can put in the exact model number and sticker info to get a complete rundown of the chips programming, at least I found it for my Corsair, there are even more timings than what is shown in the bios. here is a sample of what I got and kept just for reference, finding the same for your memory would be interesting and good data to have. I would expect it to differ as the actual memory chips are unlikely to be the same and yours are rated faster. But info like below is where you could start looking for issues with the sub timings.

Manufacturer's JEDEC ID Code: Corsair
Module Manufacturing Location: 01h
Module Part Number: CM2X1024-6400C4
Module Revision Code: 2020h
Module Manufacturing Date: Week 29, 2006
Module Serial Number: 00000000h
LEGITIMATE ARCHITECTURES

Fundamental Memory Type: DDR2 SDRAM
DIMM configuration type: Non-ECC/Parity
DIMM type information: UDIMM (133.35 mm)
Number of Row Addresses: 14
Number of Column Addresses: 10
Number of Ranks: 2
Module Rank Density: 512 MB
Number of Banks on SDRAM Device: 4
Module Data Width: 64 bits
Primary SDRAM Width: x8
Error Checking SDRAM Width: N/A
Voltage Interface Level: SSTL 1.8 V
Refresh Rate/Type: 7.8 us Self Refresh
DDR SDRAM DIMM Height: 30.0 mm
TIMING SPECIFICATIONS

Burst Lengths Supported: 4, 8
CAS# Latencies Supported (tCL): 4T, 5T
Cycle time at Max CAS Latency: 2.5 ns
SDRAM Access from Clock (tAC): 0.40 ns
Minimum Clock Cycle at tCL = X - 1: 3.7 ns
Max Data Access Time at tCL = X - 1 (tAC): 0.50 ns
Minimum Clock Cycle at tCL = X - 2: 0.0 ns
Max Data Access Time at CL = X - 2 (tAC): 0.00 ns
Minimum Active to Precharge Time (tRAS): 45.0 ns
Minimum RAS to CAS delay (tRCD): 12.50 ns
Minimum Row Precharge Time (tRP): 12.50 ns
Min Active to Active/Auto Refresh Time (tRC): 55.0 ns
Min Auto Ref to Active/Auto Refresh (tRFC): 105.0 ns
Min Row Active to Row Active delay (tRRD): 7.50 ns
Write Recovery Time (tWR): 15.0 ns
Internal write to read command delay (tWTR): 7.50 ns
Internal read to precharge command delay (tRTP): 7.50 ns
Addr and CMD Input Setup Time Before Clock (tIS): 0.18 ns
Addr and CMD Input Hold Time After Clock (tIH): 0.25 ns
Data Input Setup Time Before Clock (tDS): 0.05 ns
Data Input Hold Time After Clock (tDH): 0.13 ns
Device Max device cycle time (tCKmax): 8.0 ns
Max skew between DQS and DQ signals (tDQSQ): 0.20 ns
Max Read Data Hold Skew Factor (tHQS): 0.24 ns
SPD PROTOCOL

Number of bytes written into SPD: 128
Total number of bytes of SPD: 256
SPD Revision: 1.2
Checksum for Bytes 0-62: 90h
SUMMARY SPECIFICATION

Module Type: DDR2 SDRAM PC2-6400 (DDR2-800)
Module Size: 1024 MB
Frequency tCL tRCD tRP tRAS tRC tRFC tRRD tWR tWTR tRTP
400 MHz 5.0 5 5 18 22 42 3 6 3 3
270 MHz 4.0 4 4 13 15 29 3 5 3 3

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

That bottom chart, squished and not lined up shows my tRFC at 42 at 400MHz yours is a very agressive 30. This is the timing that says "after a voltage refresh to keep the memory cells stable is initiated, how long must I wait before accessing the memory" Yours looks awfull low and with 4GB my alarm bell rings even louder.

Sooooo LOL This is probally all wrong, but everything else is fine and the memroy sub-timings look too tight for my tastes.

I here is what mine are set to, but as mentioned there are others we cant adjust, but be fun to see if this helps, it would at least put you on the right track. use the values on the left as they are what is read off of my spd chip , leaving on auto would not do anything, (excuse me for stating obvious, mainly for someone else that comes along and reads post).

CAS Latency Time_____________ 5 ____ [4] <--use your rams values, (CL)
Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay______ 5 ____ [5] <--use your rams values (tRCD)
Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_____5 ____ [3] <--use your rams values (tRP)
Precharge Delay (tRAS)________15 ____[12] <--use your rams values (tRAS)
ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_______4 _____[auto]
Rank Write to READ Delay______3 _____[auto]
Write to Precharge Delay______6 _____[auto]
Refresh to ACT Delay________42 ______[0]
Read to Precharge Delay_______4 _____[auto]
Memory Performance Enhance__________ [Normal]

If this does in fact lead to a solution you are honor bound to go to your favorite "old style" pub and have a pint of Bitter for me while thinking about how sad it is that 99.9% of Americans have never tasted a proper pint in a proper pub.

PS I would take that Xfi card out until you get things sorted.

When you set the FSB to 300. also try setting the "System Memory Multiplier (SPD) to "2". This will ease the memory speed a bit and put the FSB at a 1:1 ratio.
Doing this may help stabilize your overclock if your memory is borderline.

Wow, cheers for the very informative and helpful post! Unfortunately, I can't have that bitter yet (as much as I want it!), as it didn't solve my problems :( (Although having many bitters could solve most problems, for a given time at least ;)) I tried the memory settings, with each stick on their own, and I still couldn't set the "CPU Host Clock Control" to Enabled without it resetting. I've posted a message on the Corsair forums asking if the memory compatibility could be an issue (I'm sure RAM GUY will know more than anyone :)).

If JEDEC states a voltage of 1.8V, then this memory surely cannot follow the standard, and other timings could be the problem. However, it did work for a full day overclocked (and 8 hours during the night of strenuous prime) even though the memory was still relaxed. Also there seem to be no problems when software overclocking, so what program can I use to test the memory in a Windows environment? I'm pretty sure the motherboard is to blame but I definately want to check the memory before anything else.

@Cpuman: Cheers for the suggestion, but it didn't work :( Infact my memory is so relaxed, I'm beginning to think it's lethargic!

Rats, I am out of ideas. Did you try it without the Xfi ? It might just be rma time.

I've also got a p35c-ds3r. Running a q6600 (b3) @ 3 ghz, 1,2875 vcore, corsair xms 6400 4,4,4,12, corsair psu 620 w. I had the maching running at 3 ghz for a couple of days, prime95 stable. I then opened the maching in order to put in a new front case fan. I also reorganized the hard drive and tidied up cables. After putting it back together and powering up, the computer rebooted when it reached POST and bios setting were reset to stock speeds.

After this I experienced the same as you when trying to overclock the machine. Switching the FSB from auto to 266 mhz (stock) resulted in post failure, reboot and default bios settings.

A couple of days later, I was able to run at 3 ghz, again prime95 stable, no problems, but then yesterday it again refused to boot and the bios reset to stock settings. I have not been able to identify the problem. Its strange since i've had no stability issued once past the post at 3 ghz. Temps are 39-40 idle, ca 65 full load (core temp). Relaxing memory settings made no difference.

I've been wondering if it could have something to do with me external USB hard drive. I've unplugged this from the computer, and have been able to boot at 3 ghz since. Have you got an external harddrive connected. Might have something to do with the legacy USB feature in the bios failing.

Found this from a gigabyte DS3 faq (965, but might apply to p35)

[Q] Why can’t I overclock at all?
This issue is often mistaken with the issue below. Be sure to read this explanation.
Symptoms of no o/c’ing at all (may be one, may be all):
Cannot change PCIe bus speed, after changing to anything from Auto the system resets in POST before mem testing.
Cannot change fsb because system resets as above.
Changing any V in BIOS doesn’t make any difference in o/c.
Changing timing in BIOS doesn’t make any difference in o/c

Changing in my mind means ex. 267fsb (stock 266), 265fsb and so on. These are slightly (and more significant) changes which cannot be done. This is not a problem of >450fsb or sth. This is a problem of no o/c at all!
This is not a problem of a fsbwall – this is not for you if you have already overclocked even a 1Mhz!

[A] There are several possible causes of this problem:
ONE – BIOS:
look below at disabling the Legacy USB storage detect option in BIOS and UPGRADE your BIOS.
TWO – VGA:
Your VGA card is probably making MB not to overclock. Try buying some crappy PCI /not PCIe/ VGA 1MB card (or 2, 4 MBs ) and putting it in, booting with only PCI VGA. It worked for me, I could overclock and when I finished I put my 7600GS inside. Everything is working quite ok If not, just try another video card but a different model.
THREE – RAM:
This is the least well known issue today. I guess... replace ram and see if it helps o/c’ing... If so... just buy new sticks ;/ Sorry

Full FAQ: http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/112426-gigabyte-ds3-faq.html

...WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erm...sorry, but you've just saved me the hassle of an RMA and made me feel stupid for not trying to take out USB devices for a week and a half! Turned out it WAS my external hard-drive, and as you thought, turning off "legacy usb storage detect" option solved everything. I'd suggest you to turn that option off too since it seems we had the same problem!

After hearing your solution I literally started jumping around the room, can finally enjoy my new build! Thanks guys for helping me to fix my problem, and Bill don't worry I'll still have that pint on your behalf ;)

Back