Gilmore Lite vs X-Fi Plat.

datamage

Limp Gawd
Hi all, I've decided to get some better cans for pc gaming.

I'm currently using the Sennheiser HD280s, but they're pretty uncomfortable, and I wanted something better. (I ordered the HD600s) -- In any case, I've read that I will need some amplification for the 600s, will the livedrive of the X-fi be sufficient, or will getting something like the Gilmore Lite be even better? (I already have one on order but it won't ship for 2 weeks.) I'd appreciate any input on the matter.

Even if the X-fi is good enough to amplify the HD600s, will the Gilmore make it even better? I'd justify the purchase if the sound upgrade is there. Thanks guys.

- D.

Yeah the X-Fi can drive them but not to levels most of us are used to.

You will need something like a Pimeta, Gilmore Lite, SM3.... You need an amp to drive them to their fullest....

However the X-Fi can drive them enough to make noise, it just won't have the fullness of the same headphones on an amped input.

Thanks for the replies. I've actually cancelled the HD600s, and was going to get the Audio-Technica's A900s. I've been reading around, and supposedly they are much better for gaming and do not require an amp.

- D.

Glite drives cans pretty good.. but I still didnt like it as much for the money. I would prefer not spending any money rather than spend it and not get as much in return. If you were truly serious, the M3 or the GS-1 is a better solution as it gives you a full return on what you invested, IMO.

datamage said:
Thanks for the replies. I've actually cancelled the HD600s, and was going to get the Audio-Technica's A900s. I've been reading around, and supposedly they are much better for gaming and do not require an amp.

- D.

Good choice.

Thanks guys, looking forward to getting the A900s. :) WIll post a followup on how I like them once I do.

- D.

about the a900s off the top of my mind...

pros:

soundstage
very non-fatigue "warm" sound
ear warming at winter
comfy as hell (quite lightweight too)
closedback, will keep out quite some comp noise
singlesided cord

cons:

earwax :D after long sessions
ear HEAT at summer
too big and awkward for the portable

Stats for the a900s:

Features
# High quality Audio-Technica new generation headphones with Aluminum housing
# D.A.D.S. (Double Air Danping System) for bass reproduction (D.A.D.S was developed for the legendary Audio-Technica ATH-W2002 Limited Edition Wooden Headphones)
# Large aperture phi 53 drivers private design in wide range playback
# Superior and deep resonating bass and vocal projection unmatched in its class
# New 3D Wing Support Housing vibration-proof mechanism (PAT) gives comfortable support for a better listening experience
# Wrapping 3.0m Hi-OFC input cord with bobbin winding OFC voice coil
# Total ear fitting ear pad design

Specifications
# Type: Closed Dynamic
# Driver Unit: 53mm, Bobbin winding OFC voice coil
# Magnet: Neodymium
# Frequency response: 5-40,000 Hz
# Impedence: 40Ω
# Max. Input Power: 2,000mW
# Sensitivity: 101dB
# Plug: Gold-plating stereo mini plug
# Cord length: 3.0m (Wrapping / Hi-OFC)
# Net weight (without cord): 350g

Accessories
Detachable phone plug (stereo standard plug)

Colors available: Aluminum Blue

Back