Good dual Opty board?

iddqd

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, as the title says. For a full tower ATX case (do these things even fit in midtower? if so, suggestions are welcome :)). Overclocking would be nice, althought stability is important.

For ATX form factor and overclocking, MSI K8T Master-2 FAR.

For E-ATX form factor, Tyan Thunder K8W, mega mega stable.

If SLI, IWILLs boards are getting pretty good reviews but theres an SLI Tyan Thunder K8W which is nice.

In that case try the Tyan Thunder K8S PRO which is pretty much a K8W with onboard graphics + a more 'server' list of features (scsi and more ethernet ports), its E-ATX.

For ATX, Its probably easiest to just get an MSI K8T and drop an FX5200 or 9200 into it. Tyan makes ATX 'Tiger' models which are probably more stable but they've got AGP too cause only really gamers need ATX.

Why, I just think that ATX is a nice form factor :). But you're thinkging midtower vs fulltower. Both are ATX. I see, though. How about overclocking features on the MSI? Or Tyan Tiger k8w (s2875)? And will the tiger fit into a midtower case, or do I need a fulltower?

msi needs full tower. unless you got one of those funky mid towers with alot of slots in the back.

Ah.. I see, so you need a fulltower, only to be able to use all the slots? Unless of course you have somethig with more slots than normally. Right? But it should still fit into midtower?

I have a Thunder K8S Pro (S2882). It rocks; I'm thrilled with it. I might consider getting the workstation board instead (Thunder K8W S2885), but I'm mostly using it for a server so the integrated Rage XL is fine.

I'd stay away from the Tiger K8W (S2875) because it has an inferior memory architecture. On this board, the 2nd processor always goes through the 1st processor to access any memory. The 2nd procsesor is slowed down by the overhead of the 1st processor snooping all its memory accesses to manage cache.

The Thunder boards don't have this problem, as each CPU has its own memory and gets through the other CPU only when it needs to access physical memory in the other bank.

Back