Good HD-PVR for Satellite?

JohnleMVP

Supreme [H]ardness
I want to turn my HTPC into a DVR, but I have Satellite TV.
I bought the Hauppauge HD PVR, but the software it comes with is pretty terrible for DVR usage. The IR Blaster software doesn't seem to support my receiver and learning mode fails.

Is there a better DVR solution out there for Satellite TV?

i haven't seen any thing that is designed to work well with satellite, other then the old school "vcr method" using the ir blaster. IMO, it's not a very good experience at all.

Doesnt the HD-PVR work with W7 media center now? That would be a great combination. But yep, either the HD-PVR, or it's internal version, are about your only option for HD satellite.

but the software it comes with is pretty terrible for DVR usage.

Sorry, i don't know the particulars, and i may be wrong, but i was under the impression that people used other software besides the buggy junk that Hauppauge includes in the box.

May be worth investigating to see if alternate software exists (?) or perhaps someone here can post a definite answer.

Good luck either way.

Yeah if anyone has an software suggestions that would be great.

I'm having trouble getting Myth TV working.
W7 Media Center would be great, but right now the IR blaster isn't working. I have a Direct TV H20 receiver.

Yeah if anyone has an software suggestions that would be great.

I'm having trouble getting Myth TV working.
W7 Media Center would be great, but right now the IR blaster isn't working. I have a Direct TV H20 receiver.

Did you run the live tv setup? Media center will learn what your box is by having you use the remote on ir receiver.

I got MC working, I finally got the Hauppauge IR Blaster software to learn my remote.

Back