Good, low cost headphones?

Gutspiller

Gawd
I have some headphones that I scrounged up for my 2nd computer, but they're crap. I'm working on finding some decent ones. I saw this deal in the Newegg newsletter today:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...709-_-HeadphonesAccessories-_-LE1B-_-26106328

My question is, do I really need to pay even that much for decent headphones? I don't need really good audio, but I want decent audio with headphones that will last, and that fit entirely over the ear and not on the very edge of the ear.

This second computer is mainly for cousins to play FPS coop games on the weekends, and perhaps the rare movie watching.

Are the SENNHEISER HD 280PRO headphones something I should go with, or are there a better costing pair of headphones out there that will work just fine for me?

I'm ok paying $74.00 if these are going to suit me and are quality, but I don't want to pay that if I could have scored a pair for $50 or so that would have done what I need them to do just fine. I am concerned with the following however:

1. Quality of sound - Decent, but doesn't have to be extreme. IE: I can't tell the difference between a 128bit mp3 and something encoded higher

2. Quality of product - I don't want something that's going to break, and I want something that is going to last many years.

3. I need some that absolutely enclose the ear completely, and don't sit on the edge of your ear, but encase it.

4. Comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.

5. Any type of emulated surround sound for gaming (dont care about movies) would be great. Anything that helps pinpoint enemy footsteps, etc. is a much welcomed feature and would easily spring for the upper end of my $75 limit if users can vouch for their "surround sound".

I am thinking of around the $50 - $75 range for these headphones, but if what I need comes even cheaper, all the better.

Thanks for any suggestions!

1. What is driving these headphones?
2. Do you need a microphone?
3. Stick with stereo headphones, 5.1 sets are really just a gimmick. If you want surround sound, buy a 5.1 speaker setup.
4. $75 is nowhere near expensive for headphones, but you should be able to find some that satisfy your requirements with this budget.

1. ASUS P5W DH DELUXE mobo onboard sound

2. Not specifically, but if I found a good pair of headphones that had a mic, it would just be a plus. As long as it can be removed or tilted out of the way.

3. Both coop computers are right next to each other, so both running on speakers won't "work" as far as earing and discerning where enemies are in the game.

The really good shit starts around $70-100. There are a few deals lower, but that's about the range you're looking at, yes.

Microphones built into cheap headphones are almost universally total crap. Just get the Zalman clip-on, it trumps most of them EASILY and will only run you about $10.

Something like Beyerdynamic DT770s (or better) is megalulz for FPS games. Threads occasionally crop up on how utterly unfair it is to use these against people with bundled headsets.

Koss makes a few models of headphones which are lower-budget but not total crap. You might look at that if you don't want to pony up for some of the ~$100 models.

The really good shit starts around $70-100. There are a few deals lower, but that's about the range you're looking at, yes.

Microphones built into cheap headphones are almost universally total crap. Just get the Zalman clip-on, it trumps most of them EASILY and will only run you about $10.

Something like Beyerdynamic DT770s (or better) is megalulz for FPS games. Threads occasionally crop up on how utterly unfair it is to use these against people with bundled headsets.

Koss makes a few models of headphones which are lower-budget but not total crap. You might look at that if you don't want to pony up for some of the ~$100 models.

I'm not really interested in paying $200 for headphones, but I am interested in hearing more of this unfair stuff about them. What exactly do you mean? Like, you hear sounds so good that you are shooting people left and right and people claim you're cheating or "walling"?

I am interested in hearing more of this unfair stuff about them. What exactly do you mean? Like, you hear sounds so good that you are shooting people left and right and people claim you're cheating or "walling"?

So I've been told. Not an FPS player myself. :D

Where the hell did you get the $200 price quote from?

I'm not really interested in paying $200 for headphones, but I am interested in hearing more of this unfair stuff about them. What exactly do you mean? Like, you hear sounds so good that you are shooting people left and right and people claim you're cheating or "walling"?

Yeah, I really really like the HARX900. In fact, I am selling my A900's and keeping my HARX900's...

The 900s have a larger soundstage and more bass.The 700s have better bass thump, highs and midrange in my opinion.But the 900s win hands down in comfort.Both are solid cans and i would prefer the 900s for games and the 700s for music.Now i haven't done the mod on the 900s so they might sound better than the 700s as far as music is concerned.So maybe someone that has done the mod on them can comment.

The HA-RX700's are great headphones at $35 shipped. They do get a little hot though, even in Minnesota during the winter ;)

I actually like the Panasonic RP-HTX7 more than the JVC HARX900. Better PRaT and clarity in my opinion. The pads wear down fast, but you can replace them with Sony V6/Beyer DT250 pads. Cheapest they run for is $19.99 for some sorta "Ryan Sheckler" (who?!) model on Amazon.

I'd get the AD700. Got mine used. 85 shipped. They are turning me into a believer as far as how good they are for gaming compared to more expensive cans...They do 2 things better then my 200-700 dollar headphones. Incredible front to back depth. Left to right is also wide but lacks the depth. 2.. They really flesh out the sounds in game, to the point they have weight to them in a audio sense. The 3d imaging helps, but doesn't give 'life' to the sound, compared to my other headphones.

Why don't you buy something used from Head-Fi? Generally, the used products in Head-Fi are in excellent condition and people generally take back products that are faulty. In fact, I have seen quite a few instances where things arrive DOA or with a hiss (from an amp or DAC) and the seller would just take it back and refund the full amount. Head-Fi people rock!

Obviously, this only applies to people who have been there for a while and have alot of feedback (we have our own feedback system there).

just picked up Audio Technica AD500s for $75, and I like them more then my older Sen HD570s

these don't completely encase my ears, very close to it though, but are unbelievably comfortable

I don't ever buy used or refurb.

" USED, NO WARRANTY OFFERED FOR THIS PRODUCT!

*****NO RETURNS WILL BE ACCEPTED***** "
Your loss. I saved around 2,000 on used audio gear..Headphones, DACs, Headphone amps... Like getting a 1,000 DAC for 500.00, or 700.00 headphone for 300. Bought around 8 used items...All worked fine, minus the AKG 340, worked fine, but needed to be recabled, but we are talking about a 30 plus yr headphone here. 99% of headfiers treat their headphones better then their dogs, and will be more then willing to give your money back in case of DOA. I went out of my way for a customer.. He claimed there was a channel imbalance with his amp at lower volume. I knew it was fine, but I had him ship me the amp, then I shipped his amp to the company. I c/p all the emails the company sent me, and sent them to the buyer. Amp was fine.. Amp was shipped back to me. I shipped back to him. And I covered all shipping cost.. I had him go through me cause it was under warranty, and I was the original owner. But, as I stated before, all was fine.. And thats been over 2 yrs ago.

Your loss.

Perhaps, but I like having the piece of mind of not having a corner of my mind always wondering if it is something in my PC that was not quite right. Especially when it acts buggy. I know many people go with Intel CPUs still for this very reason. That seems a little far off to me, but buying only new items for your rig seems completely normal.

I'm glad you've had good luck purchasing used equip. Sometimes all it takes is 1 time to get screwed and you never go back.

I could consider buying used equip from a friend or a B&M, but online there are to many chances you can get screwed IMO anyways.

Seeing as some of my gear these days isn't even available new anymore...yeah, used AV gear FTW.

Seeing as some of my gear these days isn't even available new anymore...yeah, used AV gear FTW.

Seriously. Love buying gear for half or less than half the retail price. Lol. If I had to buy retail priced gear, my total expenditures would probably be a couple thousand more than what it is now.

Back