Good micro-ATX 1366 motherboard?

APOLLO

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - March 2009
I might be building an i7 system later in the season and looking to see what the best components are out there for a folding box. The system will be running -bigadv WUs with the possibility of one GPU client, but that isn't certain at this point. I already have a micro-ATX case and want to stick to that form factor for this build. What are some motherboards with good stable OC capability in micro-ATX? I'm intending to run an i7 920 processor and hoping to attain a stable 4GHz clock. I will also need memory module recommendations for this build.

The project is only tentative at this moment in time. I'm not certain when it will get the go ahead so to speak, but I would like to ascertain some components and costs to come up with an approximate budget for this build. TIA

I have one of the MSI X58M boards and it works perfectly. That will probably be your cheapest option.

I was actually pondering this over the weekend.
Started a thread in the General Hardware forum for some thoughts.

I might be building an i7 system later in the season and looking to see what the best components are out there for a folding box. The system will be running -bigadv WUs with the possibility of one GPU client, but that isn't certain at this point. I already have a micro-ATX case and want to stick to that form factor for this build. What are some motherboards with good stable OC capability in micro-ATX? I'm intending to run an i7 920 processor and hoping to attain a stable 4GHz clock. I will also need memory module recommendations for this build.

The project is only tentative at this moment in time. I'm not certain when it will get the go ahead so to speak, but I would like to ascertain some components and costs to come up with an approximate budget for this build. TIA

what case are you using? i'm assuming you're watercooling?

also using the x58m, but i haven't used another board for comparison. it works. i get a lot of heat from having filled all 6 ram slots, though. definitely will want a cooler. also, use some silicon or ceramic thermal paste for the ioh

I'm currently running a EVGA micro x58 board. I like it very much.
The only issue I have with it is the northbridge chipset has a passive cooler.
I could get to 3.8GHz stable folding, above that I would have problems.
I added a fan to cool the northbridge and my overclock was good to about 4.1GHz while folding.
I'm sure if I added a true active northbridge cooler, I could do better.

Thanks for all the recommendations so far. I have an old IBM micro-ATX case with a 2.8GHz P4 system currently in there. It's the slowest system in my home network and it has outworn its usefulness. My main concerns are a stable high OC, but cooling will be through HSF only. I'd be satisfied with ~3.9GHz and over. Any memory recommendations?

Can you get an H50 in there? I am looking at an H50 for my mATX build.

Any DDR3-1600 will do

Can you get an H50 in there? I am looking at an H50 for my mATX build.
No idea. I'm not intending to spend that much for a cooler. They cost well over $100 locally and still quite high by mail order.

Just an FYI:

Newegg's Wed morning Shell Shocker is an eVGA mATX 1156 MoBo. It is currently $124.99 after $30 mail in rebate so it's going to be even lower. Yes it is socket 1156, but if you're ok with doing an 860 instead of the 930, you may save yourself a couple of dollars.

Now, I know you're in Canada and I'm not even sure you can't get shell shockers up there. If you can't I am truly sorry for tempting you with this.

I am probably going to pick up one. I'll put it on a credit card if necessary and just pay off at the end of the month.

using a msi x58m and I'm loving it.

Corsair for your memory is one recommendation. If you have an idea what motherboard you want, make sure to find out if it supports 1.5v ddr3 ram and higher or only that. I made the mistake of not checking and I had to return them.

msi x58m

heard nothing but GOOD about this board. If I built an i7 rig right now I would go with msi x58m myself.

But Im an AMD nut! :)

I must be the only folder using a ph 2 x4 right now lol

msi x58m

heard nothing but GOOD about this board. If I built an i7 rig right now I would go with msi x58m myself.

I am in Intel nut, but I do have an AMD PII 940BE in one of my rigs. It was driving my GPU2 rig, but gave it to my wife.

msi x58m

Rampage II GENE would be my choice

Freaky - you're no the only amd folder out there - soon as i get my replacement board my athlon II x4 will be folding again:)

Fold ON!!!

Sooo... I've been waiting patiently for this 'egg Shell Shocker

eVGA mATX 1156 MoBo for $89.99. I think I am going to bite and get some 4x2GB Memory kit. I will be pairing this with the i7 860.

Will a mATX board fit in a normal ATX case? Like does the back plate and a few screw holes line up?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I am pretty sure it can. Most ATX cases have multiple standoffs for that reason. You can always fit a smaller board in a case, but the reverse is obviously not true (ATX in an mATX case).

Hmm, might help me save a few inches in my 4U cases

Vaulter, mATX will definately fit in your case. The problem is, you do not save any space front-to-back where you are tight. The space you save will be at the left-hand side looking at it from the front. It is not particularly useful space

Damn, o well, was worth asking

but I guess it's still an option as long as the price is right

Back