good rip/convert/burn MP3 program

option141

Gawd
Hey guys, i'm back with another question =p

Whats a good program that will rip CDs, convert various file types to MP3, and burn? I'm not into "pretty" proggies, but powerful ones.

thanks again,
seth

foobar can act as a player also - would you recommend i use foobar as my player instead of 2.95 winamp?

i use EASY CDDA Extrator, you can extract to ANY codec installed on your computer, it has built in, lame, franhaouffer (sp?), AAC, flac, ogg, etc its FAST, it has CDDA functionality, easy to use

I use EAC and LAME to rip and encode to MP3, if I need to burn I use Nero.

GodsMadClown said:
There is only one program that serious people use to rip CDs. That's Exact Audio Copy.
EAC + LAME = Free CD ripping goodness.

EAC with the --alt-preset standard setting encoded with LAME.

If you want the absolute best quality rips, there is no contest: EAC. I wouldn't touch anything else.

Your a dumbass. Dont go flac -8. 0.5% compression increase vs 3 times compression time? Noob

Blah. Who cares about processor time? I just go on and rip the next CD. EAC cues them up. That's just one of the things that I love about it.

Oh, and "you are" contracts to "you're", not "your".

...dumbass...

CDex seems to be a hell of allot quicker than EAC and there is no quality difference to me. They both sound great.

Also it sems that your only choice with EAC is to use some type of VBR, not so with CDex.

zA.Gosu said:
Your a dumbass. Dont go flac -8. 0.5% compression increase vs 3 times compression time? Noob
It takes about one additional minute after the CD is finished ripping to finish encoding and I havn't bothered testing/comparing it against the other compression settings. The extra few seconds it does take really has no impact on my life, since I normally put the CD in, start the process, and walk away.

Puterguru said:
Also it sems that your only choice with EAC is to use some type of VBR, not so with CDex.
No, it also does constant bitrate well.

zA.Gosu said:

Those extra ten seconds per track to compress to -8 instead of -5 must really kill you? :rolleyes: Who cares? I compress to -8, and it takes all of 45 seconds to compress a track, and that's on a damn p4 2.26, nowhere near a cutting edge processor.

zachary80 said:
It takes about one additional minute after the CD is finished ripping to finish encoding and I havn't bothered testing/comparing it against the other compression settings. The extra few seconds it does take really has no impact on my life, since I normally put the CD in, start the process, and walk away.

No, it also does constant bitrate well.
Hmmm, it looks like you have to type something in the "Additional command line options" window to get constant bit rates What that "Something" is I have no idea. Without knowing that your only choice is VBR. Seems a little cumbersome just to make some constant bitrate mp3''s.

???
What are you talking about?

If you want constant bitrate go into Compression Options > External Compression > Bitrate (pick one)

I just use Nero, works for me just fine and I've tried the others listed and I really cant tell any difference at all.

NightRaven said:
???
What are you talking about?

If you want constant bitrate go into Compression Options > External Compression > Bitrate (pick one)
Then I continue to get bad copies of the program. It is set to 256. I burn a song and dbPowerAmp reports it as "Average Bitrate 199"
I burn the same song with CDex and I get "Bitrate 256"

I figured out the problem. In the configuration wizard there are two options for the Lame.
Standard settings
and
Recommended settings

Using recommended settings make the mp3'S VBR's regardless of what constant bit rate you tell it.

Changing to standard fixes the problem.

hey - i'm a little lost now that i'm trying this.

I'm using Foobar2000, CDex with LAME

i can't get LAME to work with CDex, because converting .wav files to mp3 doesnt work....how do i ''install'' LAME to work with CDex

another thing - why doesnt foobar2000 add .wav files that i have (files from CDs i've ripped using windows media player 10) to the playlist?

In your preferences, go to 'Core' and change the 'Restrict incoming files' to whatever you want.

i changed ''restrict incoming files'' to: *.mp3;*.wav;*.wma;*

then i tried to open something and i get this:
INFO (CORE) : location: "file://D:\My Music\DMX\Grand Champ\03 Where the Hood At.wma" (0)
ERROR (CORE) : error opening file for playback :
INFO (CORE) : location: "file://D:\My Music\DMX\Grand Champ\03 Where the Hood At.wma" (0)

Back