Google Android Tablet Imminent

just the fact that android can multi-task and is an open source os.. those are just 2 reasons why id buy it over any pos apple releases..

Anything that comes out now, is by far better than apples offering. :p

But time will tell.

If it doesn't have an office suite (OpenOffice?) and a forward-facing webcam for Skype it will be as useless as the iPad.

I actually bought an ipad and really like it. It's the only Apple product I've ever bought so I'm not some 'Apple fanboy' that would buy anything they put out. I looked at the options - ipad, joojoo, and the future devices that I knew about like HP Slate. I thought about the sites I use on a daily basis - if they needed flash or not, and then I thought of the apps I knew it had like Netflix streaming of their entire instant viewing library.

I love multitasking, I'd never trade my Palm Pre for an Iphone, and I do wish the ipad had multitasking but I'm not finding it a huge inconvenience yet because the browser does seem to load exactly the way you left it.

I'll still use my Sony Reader for ebooks because of the eink screen, but the ipad actually does replace a notebook in several ways for me. Plus, the gaming is kind of fun - I just bought Sam and Max Season 3 Episode 1 for $6 last night (turns out they put it out on the ipad first, and are doing PSN/computer later), and the point and click adventure genre has always felt like it was designed with a touch interface in mind.

Meh,

I want a tablet with computing power and the ability to run classic windows apps. From what I can tell, this is not it.

It seems that the iPad is designed to be a cash register more than anything else.
The lack of flash to view online video, no SD card slot to use content you already own, no USB port, a $30 dongle that will be the first thing lost, stolen or left somewhere else.
With such a crippled device it makes it more convenient to just “buy it” from the iTunes store. Quite the business model if you forget you have competition.

In the next few months, between Goggle, HP and others, Steve Jobs is going to be taking turns being somebody’s bitch.

Wonder if it will have a HDMI secondary out?
Then Open Office would make me a believer.

It seems that the iPad is designed to be a cash register more than anything else.
The lack of flash to view online video, no SD card slot to use content you already own, no USB port, a $30 dongle that will be the first thing lost, stolen or left somewhere else.
With such a crippled device it makes it more convenient to just “buy it” from the iTunes store. Quite the business model if you forget you have competition.

In the next few months, between Goggle, HP and others, Steve Jobs is going to be taking turns being somebody’s bitch.

You do know it has 16-64GB built in for you to put stuff you already own? Just curious if that statement was that you believe you HAVE to purchase everything through itunes? Personally I just put Airvideo on mine. It lets me stream any video I want to the device from my windows home server; it converts the video in real time. That combined with cellular tethering should allow me access to my videos most places I go.

If an Android tablet was out I'd probably have gotten that instead, but I am actually pretty surprised at what the ipad can do with just a 1Ghz processor. Playing Sam and Max looks almost identical to when I played the previous ones on my computer - which is pretty impressive to me - if you've played them before you know they don't look like your normal mobile game.

For me I just want a flip down convertible. Like that macbook concept that was running through the web a few years back...just having a touchscreen is cool, but having something as thin as a macbook air (or other thin notebook) where it had a touchscreen turned on when closed would be pretty sweet for me.

Depends on price. I think Apple totally screwed the pooch there. Their device is too crippled for most people to want to spend the money on it. If there are android tablets released that offer more functionality and have better pricing, I think they would sell like hotcakes.

I'd be interested, probably rig it up in the kitchen as a touchscreen cookbook.

I like the idea of open source but from my experience that doesn't mean better applications. It's nice to have 10,000 apps. like the Droid, but how many of them are un- or under-documented apps. that require a lot of configuring and tweaking to work? If it's anything like desktop apps the answer is: too many.

In the end though, I'd forgive a lot of flaws to go with a non-Apple product because I hate Apple's continuing secrecy and proprietary formats. The one thing that seems to be very nice about the iPad is battery life, assuming the ten hour claims are valid.

I like this better than the iPad - the ability to get content on the device the way I want to rather than how Apple thinks I should is a big positive for me.

These things are going to be a tough sell being squeezed by the iPad on one end and Windows 7 devices like the HP Slate on the other.

These things are going to be a tough sell being squeezed by the iPad on one end and Windows 7 devices like the HP Slate on the other.

I can see android tablets overtaking the small Windows tablet market in a few years time.

I'm interested in this, though I understand it will take some time for the App Availability to catch up to Apple. Still just the fact that it's open source should make a difference.

I can see android tablets overtaking the small Windows tablet market in a few years time.

Because? We'll have to see how the HP Slate goes but assuming its a good device I think small Windows tablets have a bright future.

Agree. Despite our resident diehard fan, windows is not the best choice for a tablet.

The fight will be between iPad and Android tablets. Not being a zealot of either stripe I would chose the best of what works for me. I would prefer more features not on the iPad (USB,SD) and the ability to program for it without buying a Mac would be nice too.

But so far the android (Archos) and Linux(JooJoo) have been very crappy, I would choose an iPad first without question over those.

But Google will probable make their tablet competitive, so that is really something to look forward to. But I think we won't see any top tier Android until Flash 10.1 is done, because this will be a feature they will push as a competitive advantage.

I like the idea of open source but from my experience that doesn't mean better applications. It's nice to have 10,000 apps. like the Droid, but how many of them are un- or under-documented apps. that require a lot of configuring and tweaking to work? If it's anything like desktop apps the answer is: too many.
Well, it's not like a desktop, so there you go.

Besides, you're confusing "open source" with "Linux." The two terms are not interchangeable, particularly given that there are thousands of open source apps available for Windows that do not require a lot of "configuring and tweaking" to work. Many of them also have better/more complete documentation than I've gotten with "closed source" apps.

But Google will probable make their tablet competitive, so that is really something to look forward to. But I think we won't see any top tier Android until Flash 10.1 is done, because this will be a feature they will push as a competitive advantage.

I hope so, maybe it'll light a fire under apples ass to support it on the ipad. Although, flash is becoming more and more irrelevant, it would still be nice to have it for certain video sites that don't stream mp4

Because? We'll have to see how the HP Slate goes but assuming its a good device I think small Windows tablets have a bright future.

The problem with a Windows tablet is the fact that they still run Windows. You end up with a Windows PC in a tablet form factor, and the underlying OS is not touch friendly. Regardless of how much HP tries to cover it up with their custom UI, users will still end up with a bunch of Windows problems + at least apps on the device that function poorly with a touch interface. Windows app developers do not sit down and go "lets make sure this works with a touch screen".

I own precisely 0 Apple products. We have gotten a few iPads around my employer and while limited, the device is pretty impressive. Everything worked perfect and the way I would expect.

Agree. Despite our resident diehard fan, windows is not the best choice for a tablet.

And you know this how?

My point is simple. You're going to do basically the same things with a tablet as any other form factor machine. Windows 7 works very well with touchscreen devices, at anything around 1024×600 and 9" or better and I imagine that Windows will only get more touch friendly in future versions. Why dump an existing investment in software and training for a whole new OS?

For a lot of people being able to run Office or some other Windows app is all they need from their tablets. I guess I don't see this going a lot differently than the netbook market. Once Windows machines got of in the market they did well. I'm not saying that Windows will dominate but Android selling more units? Wouldn't bet on it at this point.

No video with a baseball bat?

Maybe coning soon to Celebrity Apprentice. (see Goldburg trying to bend it) Or maybe easy enough for Rod Blagojevich to use.

And you know this how?

My point is simple. You're going to do basically the same things with a tablet as any other form factor machine. Windows 7 works very well with touchscreen devices, at anything around 1024×600 and 9" or better and I imagine that Windows will only get more touch friendly in future versions. Why dump an existing investment in software and training for a whole new OS?

For a lot of people being able to run Office or some other Windows app is all they need from their tablets. I guess I don't see this going a lot differently than the netbook market. Once Windows machines got of in the market they did well. I'm not saying that Windows will dominate but Android selling more units? Wouldn't bet on it at this point.

I really dont want to get into an argument with a guy that bleeds windows 7 tablet goo but we are talking about windows vs a platform designed for just this type of device. Windows 7 pulls it off pretty well considering its a desktop OS but it is not designed from the ground up for this sort of device.

Android will do well on tablets, probably better than windows.

The netbook market is different, that was a ton of shitty linux implementations with very few solid linux solutions vs windows. With the tablet you have iphoneOS vs Windows and soon to be vs android. There will be actual competition in this market unlike the netbook market. Microsoft will not be able to just walk in and plant the flag like they did with the netbook market.

I really dont want to get into an argument with a guy that bleeds windows 7 tablet goo but we are talking about windows vs a platform designed for just this type of device. Windows 7 pulls it off pretty well considering its a desktop OS but it is not designed from the ground up for this sort of device.

Android will do well on tablets, probably better than windows.

People say this like its a scientific fact, "Windows isn't designed for this type of device." It's NOT Windows, it's the applications. Launching an app, web browsing, document editing did viewing, even lots of games work pretty much the same on Windows 7 as an iPad. For all of their differences these devices often work pretty much the same given a certain task.

Beyond weight and the way the accelerometer works with the iPad, a touch enabled app is a touch enabled app on the iPad can work EXACTLY the same on a Windows device.

The problem with a Windows tablet is the fact that they still run Windows. You end up with a Windows PC in a tablet form factor, and the underlying OS is not touch friendly. Regardless of how much HP tries to cover it up with their custom UI, users will still end up with a bunch of Windows problems + at least apps on the device that function poorly with a touch interface.

This reminds me of my Touch Pro2- every time windows mobile peeks its head through the pretty HTC facade, I'm like "wtf is this crap?" In some ways it angers me that windows mobile is still the same OS that I ran on my iPaq years and years ago- even more annoying is that it seems slower now than it did back then! No- i'm not looking forward to WinMo 7- it's like 3 steps backwards- at least Apple is coming out with some form of multitasking in their OS 4. Next stop for me when my phone dies is Android.

The average buyer isn't going to be thinking about which OS is better for a tablet. They will buy what they know, and that will be Windows.

\It's NOT Windows, it's the applications.

How the hell am I supposed to right-click on a touchscreen?

What Palm, Apple, and now Google have all figured out is that fingers on humans are pretty chunky- they don't come to a nice pretty point. To accommodate this, most of the UI elements in the OS are fairly large- large icons, large "switch" and "dial" type controls instead of small radio buttons, combo boxes, etc. MS just doesn't seem to get this- the small UI elements are still pervasive in the OS... and since 99% of apps use the control framework provided by the OS' UI, they exist in the apps as well. Sorry- it's the OS, not just the apps.

Back