Got a problem with my build -- sound card rests on heatsink

c10

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

I am building my new computer right now, and I'm having problems with my ASUS D2X soundcard. There are only 2 slots where it can fit on my motherboard (P5Q Pro), and the top is ruled out because my memory is in the way. However the bottom open slot has the edge of the card resting on a heat sink built on the motherboard? Is this safe or do I need to return my sound card? I guess I could just find a regular PCI soundcard, but I really like the ability of the D2X, and didn't foresee this build problem.

I will be attaching a photo for further examination as soon as it hits my gmail account from my cell phone.

PS - while the photo may look like the video card is resting on the same heat sink, I assure you that it is not.

If the sound card is not affected performance-wise, and if there's no sign of damage to either the heatsink or the sound card, you could leave things as-is. Personally, I'd forgo the sound card, but you may not have to.

Well its a brand new build. I can always just return the card to where I picked it up, and then get a PCI card that will guranteed fit no problem.

It's up to you as to whether or not you want to return the sound card, though onboard sound would probably be good enough for your needs.

I saw the build, and I personally don't know what asus was thinking. It looks like there card is too big for that asus mobo, I'm just curious how many other boards are going to have this problem.

Back