Got my new Corsair HX1000, has some cosmetic issues

The sleeving does not go all the way into the unit as depicted in photographs, but rather stops around an inch short. In addition to this, the plastic ring surrounding the cables does not and will not sit flush with the housing. While minor issues, given the price that I paid for this thing, these imperfections have me foaming at the mouth.

Suggestions?

Redbear on these forums is a Corsair rep, I'm sure he'll read this and fix it up or you can contact Corsair.

The sleeving does not go all the way into the unit as depicted in photographs, but rather stops around an inch short. In addition to this, the plastic ring surrounding the cables does not and will not sit flush with the housing. While minor issues, given the price that I paid for this thing, these imperfections have me foaming at the mouth.

Suggestions?

The sleaving doesn't go all the way into the case, typical of a CWT unit. Maybe an inch short is a little shorter than it should be, but it doesn't go into the case.

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTIwODM5MDkwMHJVdkJCT25GalhfM183X2wuanBn

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTIwODM5MDkwMHJVdkJCT25GalhfM184X2wuanBn

The sleaving doesn't go all the way into the case, typical of a CWT unit. Maybe an inch short is a little shorter than it should be, but it doesn't go into the case.

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTIwODM5MDkwMHJVdkJCT25GalhfM183X2wuanBn

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTIwODM5MDkwMHJVdkJCT25GalhfM184X2wuanBn

Fair enough. However, if you look at Corsair's website, the sleeving clearly goes all the way into the unit.

http://www.corsair.com/products/hx1000/photo2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough. However, if you look at Corsair's website, the sleeving clearly goes all the way into the unit.

Actually what you see there are the sheaths that terminate the sleaving...it has possibly just been shoved up enough so that it just goes into the case. Are you able to do something like that? As for the grommet....that shouldn't be like you said yours is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually what you see there are the sheaths that terminate the sleaving...it has possibly just been shoved up enough so that it just goes into the case. Are you able to do something like that? As for the grommet....that shouldn't be like you said yours is.

Either way, I've got a good inch of visible, unsleeved, unsheathed cable. :(

Either way, I've got a good inch of visible, unsleeved, unsheathed cable. :(

That is the way CWT does it. I point it out in every review of CWT based units. I would suggest if it bothers you that you return it, get something else, and let Corsair know why you returned it.

That is the way CWT does it. I point it out in every review of CWT based units. I would suggest if it bothers you that you return it, get something else, and let Corsair know why you returned it.

It's not enough to get me to return it, unless I can get one that is fully sleeved. I was under the impression that mine was out of the ordinary based on the promotional images on Corsair's website. Guess not.

Other than this, I really do like the unit, and would rather deal with this minor annoyance so that I retain Corsair's great support. That grommet will bug me like no other, though.

Agreed!

Wow...Over a PSU?:confused:

I may have exaggerated a bit, but it does have me perturbed. I spend a lot of time making my computer look good, and that doesn't help my cause any.

I do tend to pick at every little flaw with anything, though. Like on the later physical releases of The Orange Box, when they switched from the fluorescent orange to the black plastic. Discrepancies between things bother me -- I can't say why, but they just do.

It's not enough to get me to return it, unless I can get one that is fully sleeved. I was under the impression that mine was out of the ordinary based on the promotional images on Corsair's website. Guess not.

Other than this, I really do like the unit, and would rather deal with this minor annoyance so that I retain Corsair's great support. That grommet will bug me like no other, though.

Well you aren't going to get a fully sleeved one since they aren't fully sleeved so........

I would suggest if it bothers you that you return it, get something else, and let Corsair know why you returned it.

Well you aren't going to get a fully sleeved one since they aren't fully sleeved so........

I can live with it as long as mine isn't the odd one out. I don't think it's so much the fact that it's not sleeved all the way as it is that I don't want to have a "ugly duckling" unit.

I will see what I can do about the grommet, though.

add some heatshrink to the end to cover up the wires. done.
Sounds like a good idea to me

I don't blame you though. If I spent $240+ and didn't get exactly what I thought I was getting, or it was damaged cosmetically in some way, I would be upset too.

On top of that, it appears to be DOA! :eek:

Tried to jumpstart the thing to bleed my loop and leak test -- nothing. Tried my BFG, worked like a charm. Newegg has sucked pretty hard when it comes to RMAs. Can I just go through Corsair directly?

Is there any reason other than a defective unit that this would happen? Do I need a load bigger than the pump is using to start this thing?

try adding a couple fans to it and seeing if that wakes it up, if it doesn't then yes you can send it to Corsair, that would be the fastest way to get a replacement.

try adding a couple fans to it and seeing if that wakes it up, if it doesn't then yes you can send it to Corsair, that would be the fastest way to get a replacement.

Adding my fan controller with six fans got it to half start the fans and flash the fan controller's screen. Nothing after that. :(

Adding my fan controller with six fans got it to half start the fans and flash the fan controller's screen. Nothing after that. :(

shit..... well if you can't wake it up then don't worry about it, Corsair will take care of you, they are the best.

Nope, it's busted. :(

I've had the worst luck lately. I'm going to opt for the advance RMA, hope it woks out alright.

Thanks, guys.

Just for reference to when you get your RMA back: checked my unit, and yes indeed the main cable is not sleeved for the last 1/2 inch to aprox 3/4 inch; while the other two smaller cables are short in the sleeving department by about 1/4 inch. Odd I never noticed or paid attention to that before; now I'm probably gonna obsess about that endlessly :confused:

Just for reference to when you get your RMA back: checked my unit, and yes indeed the main cable is not sleeved for the last 1/2 inch to aprox 3/4 inch; while the other two smaller cables are short in the sleeving department by about 1/4 inch. Odd I never noticed or paid attention to that before; now I'm probably gonna obsess about that endlessly :confused:

Sorry. Don't think about it!

I would return it and get a Enermax Revo or a BFG EX 1200 since this is not the best psu why settle for something that makes you uneasy.

Fafeifa what are you talking about? The HX1000 is probably one of the best 1000 watt units on the market, and I'd take it over either of the ones you listed every time.

I'd rather not mess with Enermax considering I know nothing about their customer service. I already have a BFG ES800, so I figured I'd try something different.

Fafeifa what are you talking about? The HX1000 is probably one of the best 1000 watt units on the market, and I'd take it over either of the ones you listed every time.

guess you haven't seen reviews on the Enermax revolution then. there's no question about it, it is a better performer than the HX1000 in practically every way. the HX1000 is a great psu, no doubt about it, but better than the Revolution? i don't think so. that's not such a bad thing.

guess you haven't seen reviews on the Enermax revolution then. there's no question about it, it is a better performer than the HX1000 in practically every way. the HX1000 is a great psu, no doubt about it, but better than the Revolution? i don't think so. that's not such a bad thing.

He said "one of the best" not that it was better. Also, the Enermax is damn near $100 more on newegg and Corsair's customer service is amazing.

He said "one of the best" not that it was better. Also, the Enermax is damn near $100 more on newegg and Corsair's customer service is amazing.

umm...yes he does say "one of the best" but he also says that he would take it over the ones listed. the ones listed being the Enermax Revolution and the BFG EX-1200. thus he implies that the HX1000 is better than the Enermax and the BFG. You can find the Revolution on sale regularly, last week it was $235AR and before that it was $207AR a few times.

I installed my HX1000 yesterday, and found it to be a very slick looking unit that was a pleasure to work with. It would be nice if the sleeving went all the way up, but I knew that going in and it's not a big deal to me.

My only minor complaint is I wish the EPS12V cable had just another inch or two given the location of the header on the top (as it is installed in an ATX case) of the motherboard. It still reached, it just removed a particularly appealing cable routing option.

My motherboard was fucked, but that's a whole other story.:p

He was asking for alternatives, I am currently running a 85+ Revo 1050w in my main machine, i have always used enermax had a corsair unit before and didn't like it. These 2 units i have mentioned bests the 1000HX in every aspect such as ripple noise, load stability, efficiency... Corsair is a good psu but its showing its age.

umm...yes he does say "one of the best" but he also says that he would take it over the ones listed. the ones listed being the Enermax Revolution and the BFG EX-1200. thus he implies that the HX1000 is better than the Enermax and the BFG. You can find the Revolution on sale regularly, last week it was $235AR and before that it was $207AR a few times.

umm.yes, but go ahead and deal with enermax's RMA's.

3 phone calls, various e-mails, and 2 "lost" faxes all resulted in me throwing away an enermax liberty.

i agree with him, it may be just a psu, but when i spend a lot of money i want whatever i buy to be perfect

customer service and RMA is important to me so i just buy Corsair all the time now... i hate having to try RMA something and the companys being all hesitant to take it back as if it's just user error, they think we're all p.c retarded.

umm.yes, but go ahead and deal with enermax's RMA's.

3 phone calls, various e-mails, and 2 "lost" faxes all resulted in me throwing away an enermax liberty.

If we had to base our purchase decisions on just one personal experience we would not buy any brand. :rolleyes:

Back