Got my new Thinkpad T60, mini-review.

Badger said:
Oh I see, I guess I was thinking there were two slots, one for an optical drive and then another bay - the ultrabay slim.
Nope, the system is far too small for that. the only TP's that have ever had two ultrabay's were the A series, which had two Ubay2000 slots, commonly occupied by a floppy and optical.

Is there a reason you didn't get the 1600 x 1200 screen?

UXGA is only an option on the -p models and is not avaliable in the 14" form factor.

Ohhh I want one, I want one... Well, what I really want is the GPU horsepower of the 'P' model inside the non-'P' model, because the T60p's only come standard with a 9 cell battery while I'd rather have the 6 cell + plus ultrabay batt and sacrifice the optical drive every now and then.

Or if they'd bump the x1400 up to x1600... maybe it's coming soon.

yeah i hope by the time Merom comes out, Lenovo will put a better graphics card in the laptops - and preferably a 1600 x 1200 screen without having to upgrade to a FireGL.

Dollar for dollar, the Macbook Pro 15" and the T60 15" compete - in this situation the macbook pro wins with a better graphics card (if your a light gamer)

Does anyone think that the 15" is worth it? I was looking at screen and the 15" comes with IPS but the 14" doesn't...

I want the 14" for college because it's smaller and has less of a footprint, which would be nice for class and just portability in general. The 15" can't be that much bigger, but 15" + IPS screen uses more battery.

Badger said:
I want the 14" for college because it's smaller and has less of a footprint, which would be nice for class and just portability in general. The 15" can't be that much bigger, but 15" + IPS screen uses more battery.

what is IPS?

I used to own the T series p model with the uxga screen (well at least until three weeks ago when i sold it to get the macbookpro) and let me tell you that that screen is truly superb. Beautiful beautiful screen. But the 14 inch model is awesojme for traveling with. I used one for 4 months and loved it. It felt lighter and more eaily carriable.

rayman2k2 said:
what is IPS?
In Plane Switching - it uses two transisitors for each pixel on a horizontal axis. as such, it consumes a bit more power but gives much better black levels as well as 180 degree viewing angles. (opposed to TN panels, of course)

its not just that IBM is not offering 14" IPS screens, its that not one LCD manufacturer makes a 14" SXGA+ IPS screen.

Damnit! I had no idea they offered 1600x1200 screens! Aaargh, this is the worst type of anger: finding out you should have waited a mere 2 weeks to purchase.

Ah well. 15 inch is a bit big, and the 1400x1050 rez on the 14" screen is already crisp enough. It's not worth the tradeoff of battery power, in my opinion.

I should have shelled out for the FireGL... gah! Such a bitter feeling!

yeah, i have the t60 14" edition as well and i love the size of it!! also, the weight is truly amazing, around 4-5 pounds i think.

what got me to go with the 14" besides size is also price. the t60p is pretty expensive and i noticed for the money if i wanted that many features i should go with dell instead to save money. my 14" was only 1599 and i got the 1400x1050 screen. if i wanted the t60p, i would have to be ready to spend over 2200 and i wasnt ready for that.

krizzle said:
Damnit! I had no idea they offered 1600x1200 screens! Aaargh, this is the worst type of anger: finding out you should have waited a mere 2 weeks to purchase.

Ah well. 15 inch is a bit big, and the 1400x1050 rez on the 14" screen is already crisp enough. It's not worth the tradeoff of battery power, in my opinion.

I should have shelled out for the FireGL... gah! Such a bitter feeling!
dont worry about it, the dot pitch of the SXGA+ 14" and UXGA 15" are about the same, and teh added weigt and size of the 15" arent worth it IMO, unless it never leaves your desk... but why would you get a laptop for that anyhow? :p

and yeah, battery power takes a hit too... the FGL would be nice though, i would love to see an x1600 in there, but ima end up going with the x1400 i think.

I was able to play everything froom doom 3 to star wars battlefront 2. Sold it before i had FEAR so i dont know. But doom 3 ran fine at 1024-768. But i had an older gen firegl v 3200 so i imagine the new ones are better (i think they are at now at v5200)

The FireGL in the T60p scores about 3200 3dmark05s. By comparison, my desktop AGP 6800 vanilla does about 3500. The x1400 is down in the 2000-2100 region. A x1600 can do 3700-4000.

Badger said:
The FireGL in the T60p scores about 3200 3dmark05s. By comparison, my desktop AGP 6800 vanilla does about 3500. The x1400 is down in the 2000-2100 region. A x1600 can do 3700-4000.

god, i wish when Merom roles around, IBM will have an x1600 in there, or preferably, better.

The x1600 is the FGL. only difference is drivers.

So how's the viewing angle on the 14"?
on par with any decent desktop TN LCD (which is basically any LCD under 20", and many of them larger than that). Not too great, but decent enough.

Vertically, the viewing angle is a bit small... could be bigger. Colors are quick to distort if you aren't viewing at 90 degrees.

lithium726 said:
The x1600 is the FGL. only difference is drivers.

on par with any decent desktop TN LCD (which is basically any LCD under 20", and many of them larger than that). Not too great, but decent enough.

anyway to flash it back to an x1600?

since the video bios is embedded in the system bios, no..

But if you install Radeon drivers on the system, it should preform like an x1600 with 256MB of ram instead of 128MB :). Hell, it should even *recognize* as an x1600, thats how the T4x series worked with the FGL cards, you install Radeon drivers and you have a Radeon.

Since you mention Merom, that should drop right into a T60 as well. If time has taught us anything about Thinkpads, its that IBM recylces mainboard designs into future designs whenever it can and does ONE driver release for the entire line. The T20-T22 was like this, as was the T40-42. Tis why you can install a Dothan in a T40 or 41 (which shipped with Banias chips) so long as you update the BIOS. Merom is launching on i945PM/GM, so the mainboard should be exactly the same, with a possible video refresh.

But it is not as if the T2500 in the T60's is not sufficient... I mean, it will not be worth the $500 or so that the Merom will sell for. At least, that's my stand on it..

Very true, however, ill will definatly be dropping a Merom in a T60 when vista launches, I do not want to buy the 32-bit version.

The clocks of the FireGL are a lot lower than the x1600 and any attempt at oc'ing (even a little bit) seem to fail miserably with utilities like ATI Tool, etc... so while they're the same card at heart the performance is still going to be better on the x1600.

lithium726 said:
Very true, however, ill will definatly be dropping a Merom in a T60 when vista launches, I do not want to buy the 32-bit version.
Does the Intel 945GM support 64-bit extensions? Because that would actually be a reason to upgrade...

Back