Great prices on MP3 players - 2GB Ipod Nano rip-off for only ~$45

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I didn't say it was legal!

The banhammer comes free. Getting it to go away costs extra.

I bit on the Glacier yesterday. You guys have made it sound like a winner.

Archaea, mine keeps restarting when I try to play mp3s recorded at 192. What are you recording and playing your's at?

Archaea, mine keeps restarting when I try to play mp3s recorded at 192. What are you recording and playing your's at?

I dont have the Glacier , I have the Ux-Palladium and the Ux-Osmium. I can use the manger software that comes with the players , but i just drag and drop 320k files into them and GOOD to go. No problems with players i have. I do use the software to convert video files onto it.

Something I have noted in most mp3 players is that they don't like non-standard (22.05k or 44.1k) sample rates.

I've seen one in person, I thought it was garbage... I didn't like anything about it... the navigation/menu system was retarded... and it was SLOOOOWWww

I have had my player restart on me about 2x's...

I'm not sure what caused it....I have my mp3's recorded at any possible bitrate - I've gotten a few of them at LAN parties and such so there is no standard encoding rate. I've not really payed that much attention to it....If it restarts I just kinda go with it.

You aren't paying Ipod prices so I think it reasonable to encounter a glitch or two here or there.

If it straight up can't play 192kbp mp3s - that's uncool - I'll have to check tonight. But I hadn't noticed that and I would have thought I should have by now.

I think this glacier mp3 player is great for the vast majority of people. If you are a perfectionist it may not be your bag. But for my purposes it's a really cool unit.

Even when you do pay Ipod prices you do have many comparable glitches. Like trying to play a track but it just wont start. It forces you to restart the player by holding the play button for 5 seconds. This has happened to me more then a few times. Then the Ipod sometimes has problems handling mp3's not encoded with it's own program. I have a few Lame VBR mp3's that will get cut off about 20+ seconds before the end of the actual track. When I watch the player run I see the time is moving at double pace some of the times. So Ipod is definetly not some pinnacle rock solid piece of hardware. Mind you these same Mp3's play perfectly fine in my new Creative Vision: M without a problem. I have also had problems with 1 or two songs skipping (yup like a cd) on my Ipod.

I have an iPod Video 60GB with tons of mp3s and none of them were encoded by iTunes. Most are ripped using CDex. I've had zero problems playing them on my iPod. Actually, I've had zero problems with my iPod as well.

YMMV, as always with electronics.

I'm willing to bet your playback problems stem from the encoding and not your iPod.

Yup, it was the rate. It doesn't like music encoded at 192. I burn a few at 44.1 and they work.

I have an iPod Video 60GB with tons of mp3s and none of them were encoded by iTunes. Most are ripped using CDex. I've had zero problems playing them on my iPod. Actually, I've had zero problems with my iPod as well.

YMMV, as always with electronics.

I'm willing to bet your playback problems stem from the encoding and not your iPod.

As I said the mp3's work perfectly with my Creative Vision: M and actually worked great with my RCA Lyra 40gig mp3 player and RCA Lyra 512mb mp3 player. It just seems Ipod is having a problem. Maybe with the multiple versions of L.A.M.E I was using with that might of had some flags that the Ipod didn't like. But if the song is playing perfectly without a hitch then the timer shouldn't be skipping ahead at random intervals. I am also not the only person who had this problem it has been discussed in Apples forum.

I've seen one in person, I thought it was garbage... I didn't like anything about it... the navigation/menu system was retarded... and it was SLOOOOWWww

Slow yes, garbage no.

It's only slow on start up. Navigation is a little wierd and non-intuitive, but what are you expecting for 50 bucks? I like that the back is non-scratching plastic however.

just got my glacier today... the ear buds are crap, but otherwise it's a great piece of hardware. they weren't lying about the size of this thing. I'll have to be careful not to run it in the laundry.:eek:

Sorry, I meant that 22.05 and 44.1 are the standard sample ratings. I've had mp3 just balk at 18k and 35k, but I don't know why they were encoded like that in the first place...

Ok I checked, I had recorded them at 192 flat.

In any case, I understood that you meant 22 and 44 as standard. I'll just use Nero to convert my existing mp3s to the more standard format.

My 2 GB Glacier broke after about four hours. No drops, hard shaking, or anything.

Got my Glacier yesterday, so it took about 9 business days.

This is one nice "little" unit. Have to be careful to not lose it, it's so small. :eek:

First thing I did was download the firmware for a backup copy and then did a low level format to fix any possible problems that I've been reading people having (restarting, hung hour-glass, memory hack).
This took all of 5-10 minutes including downloading and installing the software.

After that I copied my pre-loaded library in WMA format to the Glacier. Turned it on and worked like a charm.

Sorry no pics yet and I haven't had a chance to test the video yet either.

Lots of good info about these units here: http://mympxplayer.org/general-discussion-vf16.html
Although you'll find a lot of people having problems but I think thats mostly because the people who don't have problems don't even know that website exists.

Glacier002.jpg

Glacier003.jpg

Glacier005.jpg

Glacier004.jpg

Glacier008.jpg

Glacier011.jpg

Wow..

The only thing holding me back is i've been to lazy to research which one is the best.
I can't decide. Anyone care to help me?

As far as batteries, bang for the buck etc.

Image quality is ok, but on the test video I was using I keep getting some slight stuttering in the audio. Some said turning down the quality fixed that, but it didn't seem to do much for me.
Some also said that the AMV converter tool isn't very good. Maybe there's a better one out there somewhere.

Here is a short clip I downloaded off the Internet (AVI format), used their AMV converter tool to convert to AMV format (of course).
My camera didn't capture the quality very well.

wow nice pics. wish mine was like that :( , mine is stuck on the hour glass ....

Have you tried formatting it w/ the MP3 utilites or w/ Windows? Does the pc see it when you connect it via USB?
Another user had a similar problem and he fixed his by replacing the battery. Maybe try remove and reinstall the battery or find another Nokia battery to use.

If all else fails, just contact Uxcell and they will replace it.

It gets stuck on the hourglass icon(no animation) from the start. From other posts I've read this has happened to alot of people and the fix is either buy a new battery which MIGHT work, or send it back at your expense. Either way, $$ outta my pocket.

It gets stuck on the hourglass icon(no animation) from the start. From other posts I've read this has happened to alot of people and the fix is either buy a new battery which MIGHT work, or send it back at your expense. Either way, $$ outta my pocket.

Not true. If you're in the USA then the majority if the time Uxcell just ships out a replacement without you having to ship the defective one back to them. I'm not sure what type of procedure they go through to insure that your item is actually defective and that you're not just simply lying. Get in contact with them, they're known to have great customer service.

I don't know about their customer service...

I ordered a Full Metal Platinum 1.8 2GB and a Glacier at 2GB. I followed these instructions as mentioned before to check if you have the correct amount of memory and to aid in crashing, etc. The FMP checked out fine, but my Glacier ended up having 103MB!
So I guess I am one of the few that are having problems, so I e-mailed them saying that I have read others have had memory issues, so I checked and I have a memory problem too; please send me an answer on replacing my unit or refunding my money. Well, they replied, but I don't think they understood my problem, even though I thought I spelled it out. Here is my e-mail, and Uxcell's response:

Hello,
I have recently purchased item # mv0blk2048mp039 the, "Glacier - MP4
Player 2 inch TFT LCD 2GB Black (using Nokia Battery)"
I formated the drive with the included software like it was recommended to me
from a friend to make sure that I had the correct amount of memory that I paid
for. Well I followed a format procedure and found that I DO NOT have the
correct amount of memory that I paid for! More specifically, the unit says it has 102M.
I would like a replacement sent or a refund immediately as I have read that
this is not an isolated incident and many other people are finding out they
have "hacked" players. Please get back to me ASAP on how you are going to fix
this problem. Thank you.

RESPONSE:

Dear customer,

Each folder can only save 99 files even there is memory left, so please check
whether you have saved more than 99 music files in one folder or not, if yes,
please try to separate those files into different folders, the problem should
be solved. Besides, all the folder should be created under the root
directly and no sub folder should be created. Please kindly have a try and advise.

Regards
uxcell customer service

Well, judging by the manual, their English is not the best (Random quote from manual, "...Go with the following steps to have intercept to have sequence Input intercept in intercept speed..."
I guess I will have to try again and use different wording? At least the FMP 1.8 is sweet. Its feels a lot more solid then the Glacier, but I guess that is because its metal shell. I guess I am off to reword my e-mail...

Just received my glacier yesterday. All in all I say it's worth $50. The FM transmitter works good. Sound quality is not bad either, but DO NOT use the headphones that come with it. There's so much sound leak that my wife could hear it across the room.

One major thing I do not like is menu navigation speed. It takes 2 seconds or so to select something or move around in the menus.

I don't know about their customer service...

I ordered a Full Metal Platinum 1.8 2GB and a Glacier at 2GB. I followed these instructions as mentioned before to check if you have the correct amount of memory and to aid in crashing, etc. The FMP checked out fine, but my Glacier ended up having 103MB!
So I guess I am one of the few that are having problems, so I e-mailed them saying that I have read others have had memory issues, so I checked and I have a memory problem too; please send me an answer on replacing my unit or refunding my money. Well, they replied, but I don't think they understood my problem, even though I thought I spelled it out. Here is my e-mail, and Uxcell's response:

Hello,
I have recently purchased item # mv0blk2048mp039 the, "Glacier - MP4
Player 2 inch TFT LCD 2GB Black (using Nokia Battery)"
I formated the drive with the included software like it was recommended to me
from a friend to make sure that I had the correct amount of memory that I paid
for. Well I followed a format procedure and found that I DO NOT have the
correct amount of memory that I paid for! More specifically, the unit says it has 102M.
I would like a replacement sent or a refund immediately as I have read that
this is not an isolated incident and many other people are finding out they
have "hacked" players. Please get back to me ASAP on how you are going to fix
this problem. Thank you.

RESPONSE:

Dear customer,

Each folder can only save 99 files even there is memory left, so please check
whether you have saved more than 99 music files in one folder or not, if yes,
please try to separate those files into different folders, the problem should
be solved. Besides, all the folder should be created under the root
directly and no sub folder should be created. Please kindly have a try and advise.

Regards
uxcell customer service

Well, judging by the manual, their English is not the best (Random quote from manual, "...Go with the following steps to have intercept to have sequence Input intercept in intercept speed..."
I guess I will have to try again and use different wording? At least the FMP 1.8 is sweet. Its feels a lot more solid then the Glacier, but I guess that is because its metal shell. I guess I am off to reword my e-mail...

I've seen this same response from Uxcell from others who said they emailed them and got a useless reply.
Basically they either had to reply back to them a couple times before they got anything or else go to www.mympxplayer.org and send a PM to Keith. I've seen people have good luck after contacting him.
Was the email you sent to Uxcell to [email protected]?

Just received my glacier yesterday. All in all I say it's worth $50. The FM transmitter works good. Sound quality is not bad either, but DO NOT use the headphones that come with it. There's so much sound leak that my wife could hear it across the room.

One major thing I do not like is menu navigation speed. It takes 2 seconds or so to select something or move around in the menus.

lol, look two posts up. :D

I've seen this same response from Uxcell from others who said they emailed them and got a useless reply.
Basically they either had to reply back to them a couple times before they got anything or else go to www.mympxplayer.org and send a PM to Keith. I've seen people have good luck after contacting him.
Was the email you sent to Uxcell to [email protected]?

Yeah, the e-mail I sent was to the [email protected] I think I will have to PM Keith; I read somewhere that he would be good to contact directly. Thanks.

Anyone purchased one of the Black Hawk players yet? If it plays videos at a decent frame rate and actually plays NES games I think I might buy one.

EDIT: Found a new coupon code KZATZP78CG The site I got it from says it expires on the 31 of March.

EDIT: Found a great site with some info on generic players and a comparison of the players offered by UXcell http://www.freelabs.com/~whitis/media_players/media_players.xhtml

Anyone purchased one of the Black Hawk players yet? If it plays videos at a decent frame rate and actually plays NES games I think I might buy one.

EDIT: Found a new coupon code KZATZP78CG The site I got it from says it expires on the 31 of March.

EDIT: Found a great site with some info on generic players and a comparison of the players offered by UXcell http://www.freelabs.com/~whitis/media_players/media_players.xhtml

Wow, nice find there Smiley. That's a nice comparision page. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back