GTA IV DRM Revealed..

You got to be kidding me.. Online Activation?

I like how how IGN and Rockstar avoid the real question.. What happens if Rockstar becomes permantly unavailable? You are out of luck, better keep that original install working.

Well I can always pick up the xbox 360 version I guess. Tough call.

Cliff Notes For the Retail Physical copy: (at least for US):
* Securom Disc Check
* online activation PER installation OR hardware change
* No apparent install limit
* If you don't have an internet connection, supposidly you can get the online activation done by another computer
* Phone numbers too call for problems. lol

Digital Distro:
* Securom
* "Since Steam requires a login it will not have install limits that some other Digital Download copies will. "
* Sounds like it will need online activation though

can you post the DRM? work blocks your link :(

Taken directly from the article:

"GTA IV PC also requires a number of software installations, including Games For Windows, Adobe Flash, Internet Explorer, SecuROM and our Rockstar Games Social Club application."

You got to be kidding me.. Online Activation?

I like how how IGN and Rockstar avoid the real question.. What happens if Rockstar becomes permantly unavailable? You are out of luck.

Well I can always pick up the xbox 360 version I guess. Tough call.

Read the whole article please? Don't need to start burning things for that reason..they are attempting to provide an out for someone with no internet at the gaming PC. Everyone has access to the internet SOMEWHERE. Just depends on how smooth this activation at another PC goes.

Also quoted directly from the article:

Do I need to activate this game online?

Rockstar: Yes, but to be clear, if you install the game on a computer that isn't connected to the internet, you can perform certain steps to activate your game on another PC with an active internet connection. Once the game is distributed, information on this method will be available on a GTA IV support page.

Sorry for the "double post."

You need to activate your copy, but you still need the disk in the drive? What the hell?

Read the whole article please? Don't need to start burning things for that reason..they are attempting to provide an out for someone with no internet at the gaming PC. Everyone has access to the internet SOMEWHERE. Just depends on how smooth this activation at another PC goes.

Ugh. This always pops up. Internet access isn't the issue. Its the online service actually being available in the first place. The best internet access in the universe isn't going to help you in the situation where Rockstar disappears and isn't providing the online activation service anymore.

Its a toss up. Rely on the long term availabilty of the online authentication.. Or rely on the physical long term availability of a working Xbox 360.. LMAO.. Actually, if you put it that way, suddenly the PC with online activation doesn't sound so bad. sad.

You need to activate your copy, but you still need the disk in the drive? What the hell?

For a triple...heh heh.

Which way do you want it? Extreme draconian DRM measures or a disc in the drive? Granted, their implementation seems to be a combination of both, so plenty of pitchforks will be picked up I am sure.

But hey, at least you can install it as many times as you want! :D

If you want transparent DRM technology, you are going to have to give a little too. Until someone invents a technology that appeals to both sides of the debate, companies are going to do whatever it takes to protect their IP.

Having to have the game disc in the drive is basically what started the whole "pirate" revolution IMO....no cd cracks, ya know? Who knows.

SecuROM = Lost sale.

Why the hell does it still have securom in the Steam version?

Ugh. This always pops up. Internet access isn't the issue. Its the online service actually being available in the first place. The best internet access in the universe isn't going to help you in the situation where Rockstar disappears and isn't providing the online activation service anymore.

Kinda crappy of me to tell you to read the whole article and I skip over the last half of your second sentence. LOL

You right, and what also almost always pops up right after though is the fact the most DECENT companies will patch their game before they go under. I would like to see the company say "Online Activation yes and if we ever go under...I have the game patch already coded that will disable that requirement to play!" Get rid of the fears before they start!

I would most certainly consider Rockstar a decent company. I'm not saying I agree with it, but a company has to protect their IP.

I would like to see the company say "Online Activation yes and if we ever go under...I have the game patch already coded that will disable that requirement to play!" Get rid of the fears before they start!

Exactly! :)

so anyone with a cell phone can activate their product. sounds good to me.

i know the big argument is 'what if rockstar disappears??!'

rockstar isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

it will make an interesting debate in a few years when we're all trying to retro game....though i'm sure the drm defeating patch will still be available then too.

Disc in the tray is no big deal. If you haven't already, look into Daemon Tools, YASU, and/or Alcohol 120%. Probably need to update it as SecuROM gets updated, but it's become a part of my installation process now. Create an ISO, mount to virtual drive, cloak virtual drive, and play.

This is interesting:
In the seemingly inevitable event that some dirty pirate manages to crack GTA IV PC and make it available, what are the advantages and disadvantages to using a legitimate copy over a pirated one?

Rockstar: Aside from the fact that warez are a great place to pick up a Trojan or key logger, using a cracked copy of GTA IV PC will result in varying changes to the game experience. These can range from comical to game-progress-halting changes.

So totally wrong, absolutely no way that statement is accurate by any stretch of the imagination.

I give it -2 days to be cracked. :D
LOL. To the poster worried about said game developer going under, you can always buy the game but get the crack for it just in case that does happen.

The only thing I hate about the recent DRM games was the install limits. So no limit=me buying.

Why the hell does it still have securom in the Steam version?

That's what I'm thinking... It's just not needed. I haven't had any problems with steam and its at least acceptable to most people. Hopefully there is a demo and it doesnt have securom like the Bioshock demo: rolleyes:

"GTA IV PC also requires a number of software installations, including Games For Windows, Adobe Flash, Internet Explorer, SecuROM and our Rockstar Games Social Club application."

You have got to be fucking kidding me?

I was well prepared for install limits and DRM and was actually going to make an exception for this game because it looks really bloody good and everything rockstar produces seems to be pure gold, but this is pushing an already diabolical situation past any reasonable limit.

I wont be buying this, looks like the copy I borrowed for the 360 is going in the drive later in the week when I have some spare time, I WAS waiting but sod that.

honestly I dont see me buying this, I already own it on the 360. I'll just pirate the PC version before I buy it now

At least there are no activation limits, that was the main thing deterring me from buying this game. Dont mind the online authentication, a bit annoying about all the additional bloatware you have to install though.

The copy protection sounds like the old tages originally used in games like operation flashpoint. Didn't take long for the pirates to bypass that either.

Lets face the facts girls. the game will be pirated and on torrent sites day 2.... So much for trying to stop piracy.

an already diabolical situation past any reasonable limit.

The only "added" protection they are using is the requirement to have installed two services. Games for Windows and whatever they are trying to peddle. It would be no different than having to install Steam and Games for Windows, etc.

It's a new approach, and sure it is overkill IMO too, but it's not a huge issue I don't think. Not like limiting installs!

This is interesting:

In the seemingly inevitable event that some dirty pirate manages to crack GTA IV PC and make it available, what are the advantages and disadvantages to using a legitimate copy over a pirated one?

Rockstar: Aside from the fact that warez are a great place to pick up a Trojan or key logger, using a cracked copy of GTA IV PC will result in varying changes to the game experience. These can range from comical to game-progress-halting changes.

Sounds like what Ironforge did for Titan Quest. They hid crack checks in the game so it would just CTD right when you got to a certain point. All without telling you why the game crashed or letting out that they implemented something like this.

Unfortunately this got their asses roasted because alot of pirates started calling the game a buggy POS and passing the word around. And thusly bad publicity for the game. Should be able to find a link to their exact words on this; I'll see if I can find it.

You have got to be fucking kidding me?

I was well prepared for install limits and DRM and was actually going to make an exception for this game because it looks really bloody good and everything rockstar produces seems to be pure gold, but this is pushing an already diabolical situation past any reasonable limit.

I wont be buying this, looks like the copy I borrowed for the 360 is going in the drive later in the week when I have some spare time, I WAS waiting but sod that.

It's really not *THAT* unreasonable, so no need to be overly dramatic and sensational guys, and this goes out to all of you who are protesting over something so unnecessarily.

a) Every single person who has Windows has Internet Explorer already installed.
It's an integral part of the OS, so it being a requirement means absolutely nothing.

b) Flash.
Who doesn't have it -- iPhone users?
Seriously? :confused:

c) GFW is already integrated into Vista. If you have an XP machine, then how can adding a gaming "platform" such as this hurt you in any way?
You're a gamer, right?
You're a Windows user right?
So then, how can installing a gaming service for Windows made by Microsoft themselves be viewed as overbearing or unreasonable? :confused:

d) So RockStar is making us install their gaming app too, well, so do a number of other publishers out there. It takes up what? 20, 50, perhaps 100 MB? In this day and age of TB drives for $100, does it really matter? :confused:
Don't want to use it, don't bother clicking on the service.

e) SecuROM. Rockstar aren't the first, nor will they be the last to use this.

I bought my copy on Steam, Whats different then buying the DVD?

edit, appears to be the same stuff with Steam, oh well, I had Mass Effect running without a single issue

"...no need to be overly dramatic and sensational guys..."

e) SecuROM. Rockstar aren't the first, nor will they be the last to use this.

You don't really think I was being overly dramatic do you? I was quoting the article....LOL.

Plus I have a few posts in this thread defending their actions for the game too.

Maybe just a line or two ripping it! :p

You don't really think I was being overly dramatic do you? I was quoting the article....LOL.

Plus I have a few posts in this thread defending their actions for the game too.

Maybe just a line or two ripping it! :p

Not you, I know you were quoting the article, but I was mainly referring to Frost and a few others, and since Frost's post was quoting your quote, I too included it as a frame of reference.

That's all. :)

You right, and what also almost always pops up right after though is the fact the most DECENT companies will patch their game before they go under. I would like to see the company say "Online Activation yes and if we ever go under...I have the game patch already coded that will disable that requirement to play!" Get rid of the fears before they start!

I would most certainly consider Rockstar a decent company. I'm not saying I agree with it, but a company has to protect their IP.

Microsoft isn't patching their DRMed music. When MSN music servers get shut down, those with DRMed music from MS will be screwed. All the games that used MS Gaming Zone haven't been patched. So by your standards Microsoft isn't a decent company, and they can't be trusted. Yet this game requires Games for Windows, and Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Microsoft isn't patching their DRMed music. When MSN music servers get shut down, those with DRMed music from MS will be screwed. All the games that used MS Gaming Zone haven't been patched. So by your standards Microsoft isn't a decent company, and they can't be trusted. Yet this game requires Games for Windows, and Microsoft Internet Explorer.

The Internet Explorer argument is inane.

Every single Windows user on the planet already has IE.

GFW is also an integral part of Vista already, and shouldn't be intrusive for XP owners either.

Side note: Ive been gaming exclusively on PC's now for the last 10 years, and wouldn't ever bother owning a console again, and yet I can't help but to think from time to time that it is some of us who are sensational, irrational, histrionic, and yes even immature, although that's how we view console gamers.

"GTA IV requires IE, ZOMG! How dare they impose that restriction on us! :eek: :mad:"
"GTA IV requires Flash! Wait a second, just who do they think they are! :mad:"

Seriously, it would seem that some people like to complain just for the sake of complaining itself.

"GTA IV requires IE, ZOMG! How dare they impose that restriction on us! :eek: :mad:"

Seriously, it would seem that some people like to complain just for the sake of complaining itself.

QFT...Seriously!!

The Internet Explorer argument is inane.

Every single Windows user on the planet already has IE.

GFW is also an integral part of Vista already, and shouldn't be intrusive for XP owners either.

Side note: Ive been gaming exclusively on PC's now for the last 10 years, and wouldn't ever bother owning a console again, and yet I can't help but to think from time to time that it is some of us who are sensational, irrational, histrionic, and yes even immature, although that's how we view console gamers.

So true, lol. Most sites I visit require flash. And IE7? No brainer. Windows update will get you IE7 no problems, you like must have it :p.

What are the Recommended System Requirements?

Rockstar: OS: Windows Vista - Service Pack 1 / Windows XP - Service Pack 3
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz, AMD Phenom X3 2.1Ghz
Memory: 2.5GB Vista / 2GB XP, 18 GB Free Hard Drive Space
Video Card: 512MB NVIDIA 8600 / 512MB ATI 3870

Yeah, because an 8600 performs like a 3870

this pos is a TWIMTBP, isnt it?

DRM doesn't matter anymore. Buy the game, download the crack. Big middle Finger to the dumbasses who think drm does anything.

Back