GTS 250 Reviews

We all knew what it was going to be. Rly, what do you guys expect? NV to remove their mainstream line up?

Yea they renamed it, and that's cuz they had every spectrum of the frame rates game covered already - they have the high, the mid high, the mid, everything. ATI is just behind on this so they don't have products positioned against all of NV's offerings, which ppl should be thankful for since it gives us a wide range of products to cater to our needs instead of making a fucking big deal out of it.

Nothing wrong to refining and extending the life of a very capable and marketable product. Names matter, cuz people's perspective of it is that it's old and behind the times. Change the to a new name and it's back in the game again.

A shorter version of the 9800GTX that draws less power? Sounds good to me.

We all knew what it was going to be. Rly, what do you guys expect? NV to remove their mainstream line up?

Yea they renamed it, and that's cuz they had every spectrum of the frame rates game covered already - they have the high, the mid high, the mid, everything. ATI is just behind on this so they don't have products positioned against all of NV's offerings, which ppl should be thankful for since it gives us a wide range of products to cater to our needs instead of making a fucking big deal out of it.

Nothing wrong to refining and extending the life of a very capable and marketable product. Names matter, cuz people's perspective of it is that it's old and behind the times. Change the to a new name and it's back in the game again.

Be prepared to be flooded with countless rumblings of how a "new card", MUST have a "new" chip inside. Why ? They don't know it themselves. It's just another way to complain about nothing...

Behind? Dead even or better right now after their pricedrops.....and i'm a nVidia user btw.

If you weren't so selective in what you quote, maybe you would understand what he said...:rolleyes:

Here's the complete line:

lowteckh said:
ATI is just behind on this so they don't have products positioned against all of NV's offerings, which ppl should be thankful for since it gives us a wide range of products to cater to our needs instead of making a fucking big deal out of it.

Thanks, some people just need to selectively quote things out of context, like the media :D

ummm...i'm still standing behind what i said....dead even...i wasn't talking about speed. the 4850 512/1gb covers a lot of the low-mid end, the 4870 512 the mid end, the 4870 1gb the mid end, the 4850x2 the mid-high end and the 4870x2 the high end....they're not behind in their coverage.

I'm saying that nvidia is putting out products that have no place in the market as it's already covered by their own offerings. Let's face it....this card is redundant.

Still looks like little or no reason to upgrade past my 8800GTS G92 that OC's to 9800GTX+ speeds or as these reviews say GTS 250 speeds ROTFL. Seriously, the rebranding game is getting fn pathetic on nvidia's part, they need to chill out trying to sucker consumers into buying the hardware they didn't want before by slapping a new name on it. How about a 9850GTX+ ? Makes more sense than trying to make the 9800GTX+ look like a totally different card altogether.

A shorter version of the 9800GTX that draws less power? Sounds good to me.

agreed, one of these would fit nicely in my LC16-M htpc case, whereas the older 9.5" cards certainly would not.

Interesting to note that the GTX250's bigger frame buffer gives some performance increase at high resolutions:
fc2.png

Though I wonder if disabling AA will result in playable numbers that are that different...

Most reviews assume that the prices of Radeon 4800-cards will remain the same. ATI has announced price drops which will put the 9800G....sorry, GTS250, directly against the 4870 512MB. The GTS250 will have to drop to $120-ish within a few weeks to remain competitive.

Why waste a perfectly good architecture? If the 8800 can still slug it out with ATI's newer chips unmodified, why NOT keep using it? It'll only get cheaper.

Guess you again didn't bother reading the part of how names matter. GTS 250 no matter what the hell is inside reflects a newer branding, newer name, and therefore in people's perception, a newer card. No one's gonna buy a 9800GTX anymore, no one's gonna buy a 8800GTS anymore. But people will buy a GTS 250.

You are once again taking it out of context. AMD recent and current line up is only starting to catch up with NVidias. Do you get this? NVidia has had their ground covered for at least 1.5 years starting with the 88GT series that made ATI bleed. ATI has only recently provided answers to them, meaning that they are in fact behind. This comes back to the naming perceptions, where a recent 4830 found ground to combat the 88GT (for this particular line, I'm giving examples here). How then does NV show that the 88GT is not redundant just because ATI released a "newer" card, even though they perform similarly? By renaming it of course.

Stop taking my posts and butchering them to your liking. If you sat down and read instead of replying so hastily out of fervor, looked back at what was happening between NV and ATI, you'd understand more. Maybe robots should render humans extinct - emotional actions and replies so *blarg*. Use the head, not your feelings.

hold your horses dude, i gave my opinion, just like you did. if you can't handle that, then i'd say lay off the intarweb.

oh yeah btw, i "get it" and i disagree....they HAVE cought up with their line-up and i don't give 2 craps about if they "just did" or if they lagged behind sometime in the past. That doesn't make this GTS 250 card less redundant. And i sure won't stop making posts only because you have a different opinion, Mr. Right. Have a nice day.

Your opinion involved butchering my quote and making it into what you wanted it to be. If you can't handle NV's way of doing things, then i'd say lay off the nvidiaz.

Why change the name? It isn't wrong to keep the old card to compete with ATI but why do they need to change the name? Is it to mislead people? The worse part is, the same card with a newer name can't SLi with the same card with an older name.

awwww did someone say something bad about "your" company??? ootsidootsi.....

Did any of the review mention that this is just an old card with a new name?

awwww did someone say something bad about "your" company??? ootsidootsi.....

Seriously? This is all you come up with? How naive I am when I thought I was communicating with an intelligent being. My bad.

Guru3D does mention it, I think. Their sample (a 2GB card....) performed better than a 9800GTX+. The expected price of a 1GB card is $149? and 512 is $129 IIRC.

lowteckh,

C'mon man, seriously, brand loyalty is way overrated. nVidia makes great cards and so does ATI. This thread is about the GTS 250 and the card in question is simply, in my opinion, not worth the PCB it's made on for this price, compared to the current ATI offerings. If you disagree, then fine, your right to do so....but don't give me some crap about how ATI has lagged behind sometime in the past (who cares????) or some garbage to justify this cheap money making pull by nVidia.

If you're not a stockholder for nVidia (and i hope you're not as they took a major dump), then maybe take a realistic approach and take off the green glasses for a second and see what this is: a cheap trick to make people think this card is a new card and to pull the money out of their pocket. They've done it in the past, they've done it now and they'll do it again. Just like ATI does it.

Why change the name? It isn't wrong to keep the old card to compete with ATI but why do they need to change the name? Is it to mislead people? The worse part is, the same card with a newer name can't SLi with the same card with an older name.

Alright, we get it, you want to try and make nV look as bad as you possibly can. Move along troll.

This renaming shit has been beat to death in various other threads, go crap in those threads if you wanna bitch about renaming.

Im happy with my 9800GTX, Does some crazy clocks, Im wondering if bios flashing can help a 9800gtx be a 250.

As for the card, Looks good, yes its just a rebranded g92, but i like it, waiting for xs members to get their hands on em and clock em high.

Edit, just looked at oc club review, and my 9800gtx still clocks higher :(

You are once again taking it out of context. AMD recent and current line up is only starting to catch up with NVidias. Do you get this? NVidia has had their ground covered for at least 1.5 years starting with the 88GT series that made ATI bleed. ATI has only recently provided answers to them, meaning that they are in fact behind. This comes back to the naming perceptions, where a recent 4830 found ground to combat the 88GT (for this particular line, I'm giving examples here). How then does NV show that the 88GT is not redundant just because ATI released a "newer" card, even though they perform similarly? By renaming it of course.

I agree. I guess what annoys me is that Nvidia is doing as little as possible to still remain competitive. If ATI hadn't sucked for 1.5 years, Nvidia would have done their best instead of just recycling old technology and that would have benefited all of us. I'm sure Nvidia is capable of more and if the 4850 had performed more like the GTX260 when it launched, I'm sure this ridiculous renaming would never have happened. Nvidia would have been hard at work on "new" technology. But as you say, until now their old tech has been enough to remain competitive, if just barely. I guess the current economic situation isn't exactly encouraging either company to spend massive amounts on R&D either...

The recent price cuts on 4870 512MB cards might turn out to be very interesting though. If the recommended price for the 4870 is now $150, competitions between card manufacturers and stores will soon push the prices down another $10 - $30. If you can get GTX260-class performance for less than the price of a 9800GTX+, Nvidia will be forced to do some serious restructuring of their line up and also to introduce some "new" cards.

It's a goddamn NAME CHANGE. The 8800GTS is phased out, the 9800GTX is phased out, the 9800GTX+ will be phased out, and then comes the GTS 250. It's not a waste of PCB - it's using the same PCB and just sticking a new name to it. The 9800GTX+ will be gone, gone. If they had kept the 9800GTX+ then yes it would be a redundant move, but they are phasing that name out and replacing it with the name GTS 250. Well that and cutting costs.

What the hell does that have to do with being a fanboy or shareholder or not?

Entirely. ATI's push on pricing cuts will be quite interesting as that means a lot of price adjustments on NV's side to match. And we thought $180 was not a bad price for a GTX260 55nm :rolleyes:

It's a goddamn NAME CHANGE. The 8800GTS is phased out, the 9800GTX is phased out, the 9800GTX+ will be phased out, and then comes the GTS 250. It's not a waste of PCB - it's using the same PCB and just sticking a new name to it. The 9800GTX+ will be gone, gone. If they had kept the 9800GTX+ then yes it would be a redundant move, but they are phasing that name out and replacing it with the name GTS 250. Well that and cutting costs.

What the hell does that have to do with being a fanboy or shareholder or not?

Entirely. ATI's push on pricing cuts will be quite interesting as that means a lot of price adjustments on NV's side to match. And we thought $180 was not a bad price for a GTX260 55nm :rolleyes:

Actually the PCB is the only difference between the 9800GTX and the GTS250. Its smaller and only requires a single power connector.

I am fine with a name change, except that people who have a 9800gtx, will have to track one of the same down if they want to sli. Same for those that have a 8800gt, can't sli with the 9800gt, or the coming gt240?

Rebranding/name chance is a real pita in nvidia's case since you have to bios flash if you want to sli what is effectively the same chip, with a different name.

Nice to see it's shorter, this card may have a spot in my HTPC in the near future....I hope pricing gets even more competitive with ATI's price cuts
. I was going to wait till next-gen to replace the card in my main PC, but if prices are low enough I may just jump the gun.

Smaller PCB, one power connector, lower power consumption, lower heat, 1GB, better performance. Sounds like an overhaul, not a rebadging.

If you can get GTX260-class performance for less than the price of a 9800GTX+, Nvidia will be forced to do some serious restructuring of their line up and also to introduce some "new" cards.

But, the GTS 250 is a new card. It was just released today.

Oh, wait...

$129 for a GTS 250 512MB seems pretty good at the moment.
With these cards launching and the announced ATI cuts, I guess it will take some time to see how the dust settles.

Added the following reviews to post one; Guru3d, techPowerUp, ComputerBase.de, EliteBastards and Bjorn3d.

Smaller PCB, one power connector, lower power consumption, lower heat, 1GB, better performance. Sounds like an overhaul, not a rebadging.

Huh? The latest models of the 9800 GTX+ all have one power connector and...

GPUReview said:
Nvidia is re-launching the GeForce 9800 GTX+ as the GeForce GTS 250. The 512MB version is the same old 9800 GTX+ that we all know and love. The new 1GB version however, has double the memory. With the exception of the extra memory, these cards are absolutely identical to the GeForce 9800 GTX+. Same GPU (G92b), same PCB, and the same clock speeds

Hopefully this plus the 40nm ATI cards will force 9800 GT prices down...itching to get one....

There is no "new" technology from 8800 to GTX2XX. Just more of everything to make it faster (and smaller die to make it cooler and more power efficient). Nothing bad that Nvidia rename their cards to make it more understandable that they are sort of "the same generation". Buying GTX250/260/285 is only a matter of performance, not features. Its not like they put an obsolete card into their range, just more options which is understandable also for those that doesnt read reviews every day. Thats a good thing. :)

Huh? The latest models of the 9800 GTX+ all have one power connector and...
About that last statement:
We all know that GTS 250 1GB has shorter PCB and smaller power consumption than 9800GTX+ so how can they have identical PCB?

It's kind of amazing to see how far Nvidia was ahead with their 8800 series. Still, this name change is ridiculous. It makes less sense than the move from 9800gtx to 9800gtx+, at least there we got a die shrink.

Back