GTX 980 OC vs Fury X OC

But the question should asked, anyway: How close can an overclocked 980 come to an overclocked Fury X?

That is a cake walk for the 980 Ti. Nothing really new as the [H] review already covered this.

There are two important limitations with the current state of Fury X overclocking that need to be addressed. First, there are no utilities (yet) that allow adjusting the core voltage. Bumping the voltage a bit is often the difference between almost stable and fully stable overclocks, not to mention given the liquid cooling and low temperatures, Fury X should still have room to go faster with additional voltage. The second is that there isn’t currently a way to adjust HBM clocks. With 512GB/s of bandwidth it might not seem like a bottleneck, but considering Fury X has 45 percent more computational power than 390X but only 33 percent more memory bandwidth, that assumption may not be entirely correct. Interestingly, there are other posts circulating the Internet suggesting the HBM memory can be overclocked by as much as 20 percent, and that it actually makes a difference.

Not sure why they are even bothering to test if they can't do much because there is no tooling.

For us its common knowledge but there are many more people this article will help.
Its the current state of play and may never change unless AMD get enough flak.
It may not be on the cards anyway, but with more exposure AMD will feel the pressure to do something.

Unwinder will hopefully get Afterburner working with the voltage controller.
But if he finds it is unsafe to do so ...
I mean, there has to be a reason why AMD havent allowed it, especially after promising an overclocking demon.

AMD has never had voltage control in CCC according to most, so AMD isn't likely to do anything despite pressure. Not sure Unwinder is concerned for card safety with voltage control either, so when he unlocks it will be regardless of user controlled issues.

Voltage control is not locked, someone just has to make the nessisary tools.

Just like every other new release, it take a couple months.

Between Unwinder, and W1zzard, im sure they will get it sorted.

That is a cake walk for the 980 Ti. Nothing really new as the [H] review already covered this.

Did you not see the thread title?

Anyway, look at other reviews before you make a decision. H's review is not the only one and plenty of other reviews show Fury beating the 980 no problem.

I have already seen where they think it's unlocked and not 100% sure so the bench means notting until we know 100% it is unlocked and working according to AMD.

980ti OC demolishes the Fury x! Glad I made the right choice.

I guess you seen the 4 way CX and SLi review there where Fury X demolished both the Titan X and 980Ti overclocked or stock as it didn't matter ..

I mean, there has to be a reason why AMD havent allowed it, especially after promising an overclocking demon.

Well duh. Fury X is already maxed out from the factory, just as predicted.

I guess you seen the 4 way CX and SLi review there where Fury X demolished both the Titan X and 980Ti overclocked or stock as it didn't matter ..

99% of PC users will not be using 4 graphics cards.....especially 4 high end ones.

99% of PC users will not be using 4 graphics cards.....especially 4 high end ones.

So nVidia is now for pathetic 1080p peasants while Fury X is for the 4K overlords.

How the mighty nVidia has fallen.

I would be interested in seeing how well the 980 does against the Fury X with both having max stable overclocks on.

I went through HardOCP reviews, looked the 980 Ti review, and found some 980 results that were extremely similar to results of reference 980s in overclocked 980 reviews. I know it's not kosher to extrapolate results this way, which is why I'm not linking them. But when you consider that a good overclock on a non-reference 980 can give it 20+ percent more performance than a reference 980, and the Fury X is often closer in performance to a 980 than a 980 Ti, and the 980 Ti is 8 to 30 percent faster than the 980, well... why hasn't this review been done?

Back