GTX260 Core216 SLI - 55nm + 65nm ? Anyone else...

Blazestorm

Supreme [H]ardness
So I bought a brand new XFX GTX260 Core216, it was 65nm, no big deal... I looked online and found a used one with the same part number except thes guy says it's 55nm.

I figure it's the same core it should SLI just fine.

Only thing is I've been getting games locking up / crashing... the 55nm card has a whine to it when it's running 3D.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has done this with success? I'm trying to figure out if it's the card or if there are issues between 55nm and 65nm ...

I would imagine that you can SLI them. They are identical in every way, just one has a smaller die.

The whining is normal, mine does it too.

Yea, I had them running in SLI and it seemed to be working.

But I'd get numerous crashes (reinstalled multiple driver versions, tried Vista64 and windows7) and when I finally went back to my single 65nm card, no crashes, no whining, no issues.

So I'm trying to find out if the 55nm was defective or if it's just more multi-card bullshit that I was hoping was fixed by now. I went with Nvidia SLI because I had problems with crossfire now it's the same shit...

Yea, I had them running in SLI and it seemed to be working.

But I'd get numerous crashes (reinstalled multiple driver versions, tried Vista64 and windows7) and when I finally went back to my single 65nm card, no crashes, no whining, no issues.

So I'm trying to find out if the 55nm was defective or if it's just more multi-card bullshit that I was hoping was fixed by now. I went with Nvidia SLI because I had problems with crossfire now it's the same shit...

Na na. They will work fine in sli. If you're getting crashes try each card one at a time and then look for if the issues only occur with a specific card. If both cards work fine then if motherboard allows (not all boards do some give an error if one card is in 2nd slot) try the cards in 2nd slot. If both work fine and the issue only occurs when both cards are installed its highly probable its power supply since the wattage draw is at its highest with both cards.

Quick thing to update: maybe its your os install or power supply? Two different setups two cards each similar issues ya check there.

Powersupply is an 850HX, and I did 2 fresh installs.

I do think I found the problem though, I had the 65nm overclocked before, and assumed the 55nm could match those overclocking results, I guess I was wrong. I stuck the 55nm by itself and went for a maximum overclock and it came just shy of the 65nm's... which meant that it was unstable at those speeds.

I backed it back down and played some Prototype, UT3, and TF2. The only issue in Tf2 I saw was some stuttering, every couple minutes the game would freeze for 1-2 seconds then return back to normal. I'll look into it more.

Seems fine now though...

Powersupply is an 850HX, and I did 2 fresh installs.

I do think I found the problem though, I had the 65nm overclocked before, and assumed the 55nm could match those overclocking results, I guess I was wrong. I stuck the 55nm by itself and went for a maximum overclock and it came just shy of the 65nm's... which meant that it was unstable at those speeds.

I backed it back down and played some Prototype, UT3, and TF2. The only issue in Tf2 I saw was some stuttering, every couple minutes the game would freeze for 1-2 seconds then return back to normal. I'll look into it more.

Seems fine now though...

Its good to hear everything is working now. However overclocking is a must to mention when getting issues. If you had mentioned that then the very first thing I would have said is go back to defaults and then test it out. So keep that in mind when troubleshooting issues; glad to hear everything is fine now.

Its good to hear everything is working now. However overclocking is a must to mention when getting issues. If you had mentioned that then the very first thing I would have said is go back to defaults and then test it out. So keep that in mind when troubleshooting issues; glad to hear everything is fine now.

Yep, always the simple things...

keep in mind you should be plugged in to the wall - if you are using an ups unless it is really really good it cannot handle the draw and can cause mysterious reboots.

It definitely wasn't a power issue... it was BSOD or Nvidia driver related. Flickering caused by SLI and other issues.

I just don't wanna deal with multi-GPU anymore though... I've tried it 3 seperate times with both brands and there are always small problems that ruin it. So I'll just be buying the fastest single GPU I can find now adays...

Back