Guess I have a cpu bottleneck

TopGun

Gawd

Taking a wild guess and going to say that the slow downs I experience in games are bacause of this bottleneck.

If I was to upgrade my processor which would you guys suggest?
I play at 1280x1024 so I'm guessing why my cpu is coming into play so much,
didn't think that I would have this bad of a bottleneck with an 8800gs and x2 4000.

[A good way to find out if your GPU or CPU limited]
First drop the resolution to as low as it will go, and turn all settings on low. You may even be able to tweak the game to stop rendering some objects, and really drop the graphics quality. If your frame rates don't improve whatsoever, then your CPU/platfrom is limiting your performance. So you would then know, that upgrading your GPU will not bring that game to playable levels.
However, if you find that by lowering your settings to such a disgusting degree, actually brings the game to a playable level. Then an upgrade of the GPU will let you turn the settings up, and your CPU should remain up to the task.

If you do have a CPU bottleneck, I recommend the X2 5200+, X2 6000+, Phenom 9600 and Phenom 9750 as possible CPU replacements.

Overclocked to 2.74ghz and still have really high cpu usage and bottlenecking.
I'm curious as to whether it's these nvidia drivers. I really don't think a 2.74ghz Amd X2 would be a bottleneck for this 8800GS.

[A good way to find out if your GPU or CPU limited]

If you do have a CPU bottleneck, I recommend the X2 5200+, X2 6000+, Phenom 9600 and Phenom 9750 as possible CPU replacements.

Wow i was alittle skeptical about this and i actually tried it with crysis, 800x600 low settings, and my frames went from 25-30 on reg settings to 35-60 LOL

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but i currently have my 3800x2 939 @ 2.8ghz, is a 6000x2 am2 really a noticeable upgrade?

As for the bottlenecking with 2.7ghz, i think my current cpu was even bottlenecking some performance from my old 8600gt, and i dont even want to know how much of the true performance im actually getting from my 9800gtx o_O

Wow i was alittle skeptical about this and i actually tried it with crysis, 800x600 low settings, and my frames went from 25-30 on reg settings to 35-60 LOL

LOL! So basically your CPU isn't the problem: It's the video card. I think....

I don't think the X2 6000+ AM2 will be noticeable upgrade over your current s939 X2 3800 @ 2.8ghz.

LOL! So basically your CPU isn't the problem: It's the video card. I think....

I don't think the X2 6000+ AM2 will be noticeable upgrade over your current s939 X2 3800 @ 2.8ghz.

Really? I was thinking if it was not a bottleneck that my fps should jump a good 40 frames and stay up there constant, i just finished the first level and i saw my fps dip to 30 on some moments, one thing that was nice is no lock ups

Back