guides to OC gfx cards

MzL

Limp Gawd
hi all

i've been googling gpu OC guides and some of them say just let the OC program determine the max core and mem and repeat to get higher speeds.

and some say after doing the above u increase the fsb of your pci-e.

what im really asking, is there any good guides out there u guys would recomemde.

im gonna be OC my q6600 soon and would like to OC my gfx 2 . and try to get good 3dmark score. and most likely return it to stock after to keep its cool ( for gpu, not cpu).

thanks for any advice

thanks man. that was really helpful

just another quick question. are the risk same as OCing a cpu? meaning like, it will kill lifespan of the gpu.

thanks agian.

It might shorten the lifespan of it from 10 years to 5? How long do you plan on keeping the card? I ran an old 6600GT at high clocks for over a year without any problems. To this day that card is still running in a friends rig at stock. Your mileage may vary of course. Just try to keep the card artifact free and you should be fine. However I'm not going to be held responsible for fried cards.

Like I said, your mileage may vary.

o ok. i was planning to keep this system for another 5 years or so. but i was gonna only OC when im doing my 3dmark score and when i play hardcore games .eg crysis cod4 with AA. to get some extra fps ;p

so keeping it atrifact free means to press the test button and it test for artifacts for 1hour?

thanks agian stianless

5 years? damn, well I wouldn't worry about shortening the lifespan then, if it dies in 4 years you can pop another 8800gts in for $25 shipped. Maybe the 640mb version for $35 if you can find them :D

o ok. i was planning to keep this system for another 5 years or so. but i was gonna only OC when im doing my 3dmark score and when i play hardcore games .eg crysis cod4 with AA. to get some extra fps ;p

so keeping it atrifact free means to press the test button and it test for artifacts for 1hour?

thanks agian stianless

I'd also suggest looking for artifacts that you can see with your own two eyes. 3dmark05 is a good test to use for finding artifacts. The troll test would show some serious green artifacts. Run through that at stock, then as you OC and you'll see the difference if and when you go too high.

o ok. but wouldn't i see artifacts when im playing games? eg crysis.

and when setting the mhz of core and mem. does the mem always have to be higher then the core?
most likely i would just copy someone else with the same card as me that has OC and use as reference

thanks for your help guys ;p

If your apprehensive about it then keep in mind it might not even be worth doing:

"If you want a video card that will deliver a very good gaming experience with the latest titles, plus a little bit more, an AIB overclocked GeForce 8800 GT that offers a warranty may just be the ticket. The real question is, “Do any of these OCed card versions truly give you a better gaming experience?” The fact of the matter is that we can’t see anything in all of our testing that proves that. While we did not directly include a comparison here, you can go back through the last 7 articles on this page to find some performance comparisons. We just can’t find any compelling gaming experiences to tell you that the OCed cards are better. You will surely eek out few extra frames, but these OCed 8800 GT cards are not going to facilitate a higher resolution or quality setting in real world gaming. Benchmarks will however show you another story. So it all depends on whether you are a benchmark monkey or a gamer, or where you lie in between."

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQyNiwxMSwsaGVudGh1c2lhc3Q=

Of course its still fun to play around.

haha yeah true point

but OC of gfx is going be temp for getting high 3dmark score ;);)

hi guys i OC my gpu

its now at 700/1621/1000

i also oc my cpu to 3.0ghz (q6600)

and i got a 3dmark score of 12277

any good?

Back