Guys need advice on upgrading machine

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
Guys, I am hoping you can tell me what you would upgrade on my machine that woul dmake the biggest difference without spending 500 bucks to do it.

This is what I currently have:

Soyo KT400 Platinum edition
XP3000+
512 of Crucial PC2700
MSI Ti4600 with 128 meg Ram

I think these are the main components.

Let me know if you need more for your advice.

thanks

do you have a desired price? do you want to buy ONE componet or multiple?

Hey,

Looking at maybe one component or two at the most.

If the gain is enough, then the price doesn't matter as much. I just didn't want to spend 150 bucks and see a 5% increase that I can't even see or feel. :D

Don't know much about that motherboard, how does it do for overclocking? If it's not much of an overclocking board, I'd say a new overclocking board + maybe better cooling?

ok i say get a new vid card, or mobo

vid card i'd go either ATi Radeon 9600Pro (or XT) or a 9700SE
mobo i'd go anything NForce2, it's a lot better than the KT400 and the Asus A7N8X and ABit NF7 are great NF2 boards.

More RAM would benefit you the most. Do you plan on overclocking? If you do i wouldn't buy more Crucial. I would buy a new motherboard (Abit NF7 or Asus A7N8X) and 1GB of Mushkin PC3200 lvl 1 for $213. Then i would overclock your 3000+ to at least 3200+ speeds.

If you're running windows XP doubling your memory will be a nice cheap boost. If you're into eye candy it's time for a dx9 compliant card. That ti4600 is a nice card, I know I used to have one, but I had to get into the game with a dx9 card.

Not a big Overclocker. But looking into trying it. What kind of ram would you recommend?

Get an Asus A7N8X Deluxe. It is a great overclocking motherboard. It is only a little over $100 dollars at www.newegg.com A 9800Pro for $212 at newegg.com would also be a huge upgrade.

Back