[H]OT!! Free Wifi Router!

I'm going to try to flash mine and see what I can do with it this weekend.

i wish i could have gotten one, it would get plugged into my school's network so I could wonder around my dorm with wifi

So let me get this straight. You are getting a free router and what your giving in return is your bandwidth (which you pay 20-30 bucks a month for) and the oppertunity to go to jail if someone that goes on your network decides to send a virus or something? Sounds like it's far from a hot deal.

Well, if some one drives to your house they get a login screen where they have to register on fon.com on your connection before they are allowed to other sites. Anyone who uses your connection is on a log within your little user page on fon.com.

You can change your AP from free to bill mode, in which you will get paid by fon.com users who use your site. (I think fon.com keeps halve of what they charge users)

If you dont care much about fon you can just setup ssh on it and fake the heartbeats it sends fon.com so it looks like your hosting when you really arent. You could also just get the router and never take it out of the box / never register on fon and see what happens. (They may contact you asking about it to which you can just say you mailed it to your friend in country X)

Got mine. But i would never allow anyone else to use my paid for bandwidth :p
Maybe I will just sell it on Craigslist.

This was a way better deal when you got a Linksys WRT54GL/S for $14 delivered in the USA. I helped 5 or 6 "friends" get theirs back then. ;)

I have currently helped 4 or 5 "friends" get this new little La Fonera... but we are waiting for DD-WRT to mature a little first. ;)

Fon is neat, but they are an absolutely horrible company when it comes to customer service. And at first it seemed like they had a plan, but for the past 7 or 8 months it's been a mess.

We will send back our routers if requested by Fon, but considering I tried to send one back because it was fried, and the person said to just throw it away... I'm doubting they ever will get a hold of anyone not registering theirs.

Use the promotion code 614249339250883 if you still want the free router

THANK YOU! I really wanted one but missed it by a day. Thanks for the code Laky

I think I will give this a shot. I have a rental property that I provide the internet for...so I will hook it up to that as a free wireless access point and see how well it works. No one drives down there and there are other hot spots on the way, so I don't think I will have to worry too much.

This would be good for my moms house really small town so no real worries of people connecting. Ordered mine.

i would definitely get this thing except just my luck i'm sure my ISP would catch on and cut off my service (edit: because i would more than likely attempt to make a few bucks off it).. and there aren't really any broadband alternatives around here. :(

i would definitely get this thing except just my luck i'm sure my ISP would catch on and cut off my service (edit: because i would more than likely attempt to make a few bucks off it).. and there aren't really any broadband alternatives around here. :(

What ISP do you have. I have comcast myself, do you think they will shut me down if I do connect this?

i have road runner (i know, time warner/AOL, VOMIT!! but its the only broadband i can get around here), so time warner/AOL is my ISP, and its very against the TOS to share your connection with other parties without their consent (they won't ever give consent).

i dunno, i mean if you're just wanting a free wifi point for your own home usage, i wouldn't be nearly as worried (although time warner dislikes ICS without their stupid ICS fees, too, even if you set it all up yourself.. ugh)

Site says "System Error" when I try to register. I'll try again tomorrow.

Well, I'm in. I've got Comcrap and I'm pretty sure this violates something, so I'll see if there are other ways of using this.;)

The only thing that blows in that Wiki is the heartbeat code that keeps you active in thier network map (and I assume so you don't draw attention to yourself by no longer being an access point for the network). The simple one has this to keep in mind:
- The method shown above is potentially dangerous! If the www.wildblue.de server gets compromised, it is able to execute *anything* as root on your router! It is not recommended to choose that simple approach. Copy the scripts to a local/trusted ftp/web server.
Then you potentially have the issue of anyone riding you, and doing God-knows-what with your connection........back at square one. How many of us are running our own server?

Edit: Now that I think of it, if you go ahead and change the firmware, could'nt you just tell them you don't have it anymore - you gave it to someone else?

I got mine, but it looks more like an access point then a router. Does this have the routing built into for the wireless connections or is it in fact just an access point. (I haven't hooked it up yet.)

Well, I just got mine today. I've got a lot of reading before I try flashing/modding this. There's a nice tutorial, but it looks a little daunting. I got a ver 7.1.1

Hmm. Nice. Still a few things to get familiar with first. Am I thinking right that I am going to be able to add this as an wireless-g access point (wpa-psk)on my network? I'd be nice, seeing as I disabled the wireless in my router (an older "b" with wep). Aside from the security issues, I was getting a crappy signal anyway.
I think I'm going to augment the heatsink.....add a lappy fan......and a second antenna.

Hmm. Nice. Still a few things to get familiar with first. Am I thinking right that I am going to be able to add this as an wireless-g access point (wpa-psk)on my network? I'd be nice, seeing as I disabled the wireless in my router (an older "b" with wep). Aside from the security issues, I was getting a crappy signal anyway.
I think I'm going to augment the heatsink.....add a lappy fan......and a second antenna.

is this officially dead again?

I wasn't quite sure if this belonged in it's own thread, in the Neworking forum but here's some news...

TIME WARNER customers now have the green light to sign use Fon. Not sure if this is So Cal only, since I found this via my local KCAL9/CBS2 site (but it sounds like it will be U.S. wide). No official announcement *yet*, but it's supposed to happen today.

http://cbs2.com/topstories/topstories_story_113081235.html

[edit] Seems this isn't exactly *new* news, found this tidbit written up Apr 2nd..Odd that noone seemed to pick it up.

Back