Had my first leak

dR.Jester

2[H]4U
So a buddy and I were installing my new EVGA GTX 580 the other night and my system had a leak. The water was leaking from the inlet tubing not being secure enough on the barb that is attached to the CPU block. We bled the loop of air after putting the coolant back in that we had to drain and didn't have a problem when we did that. I guess the leak developed after. Upon booting the system, it posted and was loading Windows. I heard a weird clicking noise and thought WTF?!. My friend looked down inside of my case and saw water coming out from the CPU and it was raining down on my brand new EVGA GTX 580. There was water all over the top of the PCB and it messed up the serial # sticker just a little. Again, the system was still on and Windows was at the login in screen. This is about when we shut it down completely. He loaned me some compression fittings and we got everything secured and no leaks to report. I tested the video card and damn is it a resilient mofo. Runs great, no artifacts or other issues to report. I did let the system dry out for 16 hours with a fan blowing on it and we dried as much water as we could. This is the first time I've ever had a leak but it was my own fault for not properly securing that part of the loop.

The good thing that came out of this is that I got around to flashing the latest BIOS revision on my motherboard, I did this because all of my overclock settings were somehow lost when we shut the system off. I am now at 4Ghz on my i7 920 which is about as high as I can go thanks to it being a C0 stepping chip.

Here are some updated pics of my setup. I should have a waterblock for the GTX 580 from EK next week, it shipped from Slovenia.

Compression fittings on the Swiftech water block. Its almost impossible to have a leak from these. Before we had nothing, no security ties or clamps and the tubing came loose after we were messing with the video card block.

fokmk1.jpg

Since there is no video card being cooled in the loop, we installed a T-Connector that is capped on the the top side, so it connects both lines together. Temporary setup until my GTX 580 block arrives.

k16pv4.jpg

Here is what everything looked like prior to the leak. My EVGA GTX 580 installed below the XFX 5870 with EK waterblock.

205u7o.jpg

Lessons learned, if you watercool....make sure to use some form of clamp so the tubing does not come loose. :p

I want to upgrade to compression fittings on everything but OMFG are they expensive.

As for the GTX 580, I am loving this card. Sadly, this is what the 480 should have been.

ETA: Pictures of the EK 580 block...
fnuj8.jpg

xbmyxj.jpg

You used distilled water right?

It gets dirty and conductive eventually but when you just have your system set up, it is a lifesaver if it leaks.

a few years back with a new build my 8800GTS was soaked with distilled water, same thing that happened to you. dried it off well and it still works to this day.
leaks aren't bad if you catch them quickly, thankfully your friend did.

Charles does all of his builds with no clamps at all.. he uses undersized tubing and squeezes it on.. all in all it looks great but I think compressions are the safest thing to do.

Charles does all of his builds with no clamps at all.. he uses undersized tubing and squeezes it on.. all in all it looks great but I think compressions are the safest thing to do.

Your fingers freaking hurt once youre done, if you use lubricant to get it onto the fitting, it comes off even easier...

Worm gear clamps are the way to go.

Compression fittings are teh seckz though. Buy them used?

I have compression fittings and mostly like them (look and work great but installation is not fun). If I did not have them, definitely wormgears

I had my system leak too, went away for a month this summer and came back to it not booting (kept powering on and off - short circuit protection). Turns out the 45 angle I had coming off my northbridge block was not good and it just bled. Got the motherboard GPU (single 5870 at the time) and power supply all wet. There was actually water up under the northbridge chip haha. Once everything was dried off and re assembled I was good to go though and still use all of those same parts today. Absolutely necessary to use at least distilled water as your coolant - it is a life saver.

Back