Half-Life 2 is coming!

Impulse

[H]F Junkie
Both of the previous links are down, here's another set MindBuster's posted (thanks!):

MindBuster said:

Well if they've played thru the full game I guess it's safe to say that it'll actually get released this year... despite the fact that the inept clerks at EB still don't have the faintest idea when it's arriving. :rolleyes:

Link above are the review scans of the PC Gamer review that were mentioned on the [H] front page, no clue how that got leaked since the current newstand issue is the Quake IV one and it just arrived to the stands around here... In any case, I could hear the reviewer wetting himself all the way over here. :D

Wish it went a bit more into detail and waxed poetic about the atmosphere of the game a bit less but anyway...

It looks really great, but in the back of my mind I keep reminding myself that all the reviews of Doom3 were glowingly positive.

Impulse said:
http://www.clandv.com/files/HL2/

Well if they've played thru the full game I guess it's safe to say that it'll actually get released this year... despite the fact that the inept clerks at EB still don't have the faintest idea when it's arriving. :rolleyes:

Why are they inept because of that? Do YOU have the faintest idea when it's arriving in stores? If you say you do, you're lying.

finalgt said:
Why are they inept because of that? Do YOU have the faintest idea when it's arriving in stores? If you say you do, you're lying.

I don't call them inepts because they don't know HL2's release date, in fact I actually appreciate the fact that they're not lying to people or telling them it's coming soon (when I asked last week or when I've heard others ask they always say they hope it arrives before December). There's plenty other reasons why most of them are inepts tho... :D

'Least over here, there's a few serviceable ones that I've actually known for a while (no surprise that they've risen to management positions and thus most have been rellocated to other stores throughout PR), but most of the people they hire at the two closest to me have a pretty hard time multi-tasking and usually don't know a whole lot 'bout PC Games. /shrug

Ok fine... it's a bad generalization, I'm sorry if you work at EB and were offended, let's stay on topic eh? :cool: Doom 3 reviews were pretty glowing, yea, I don't think I read any review where someone was as ga-ga over Doom 3 as this one over HL2 tho ('least not over something 'sides D3 visuals).

actually it's been 'coming' for over a year if you want to be technical...

My good side has decided to like HL2 already, the dark side has decided to HATE it regardless just to piss people off here at the [H] forums!!! ;)

Now thats the kind of adverti... I mean review you pay good money for. I'll form my own opinions when I see it myself, if it ever comes out.

heyheyhey said:
Same score as Doom 3 got. I bet it'll be the same, some hate it, some love it.

Eh, I think there is a lot more to do in HL2 compared to the mindless shooting in D3. Not bashing the game, I loved it, but it IS pretty linear.

That gravity gun is gonna be so good, cant wait to shoot cans at peoples faces :D

OT
Is [H]ard|OCP gonna do a hardware guide on this game like they did on doom 3?
id really like to know what its gonna run like on a 9600 pro.

It looks pretty good so far, and I'll believe them that it is good. They rated Doom 3 high and I really enjoyed it. They rated this game high so I'll probably enjoy it as well, that or totally hate it. :p It does look pretty good so far. I'm still not that excited though since well... no release date yet, but it will probably be a game worth owning.

Circuitbreaker8 said:
Eh, I think there is a lot more to do in HL2 compared to the mindless shooting in D3. Not bashing the game, I loved it, but it IS pretty linear.

I hope you know HL 2 is linear as well? Because honestly everything you do is scripted in HL2 as I have read and seen, same as Doom 3.

Banko said:
I hope you know HL 2 is linear as well? Because honestly everything you do is scripted in HL2 as I have read and seen, same as Doom 3.

Well I meant its a lot open ended than D3. BTW how is everything scripted? I assume you're talking about AI? In that case, all AI is scripted. :)

Circuitbreaker8 said:
Well I meant its a lot open ended than D3. BTW how is everything scripted? I assume you're talking about AI? In that case, all AI is scripted. :)

Just because the enviroments are more open doesn't necessarily mean the gameplay is more open ended and less linear... Depends on your definition of it all I guess. The review itself said it was a pretty linear shooter tho (towards the begining).

I think most people would describe fully open-ended as something more akin to Deus Ex... Linear's not necessarily bad tho, just as long as the player doesn't feel trapped or as long as it's not painfully obvious you're on rails. Full interactivity with the enviroment and physics modeling is probably easier to pull off when you're limiting where the player goes more as well.

Impulse said:
Just because the enviroments are more open doesn't necessarily mean the gameplay is more open ended and less linear... Depends on your definition of it all I guess. The review itself said it was a pretty linear shooter tho (towards the begining).

I think most people would describe fully open-ended as something more akin to Deus Ex... Linear's not necessarily bad tho, just as long as the player doesn't feel trapped or as long as it's not painfully obvious you're on rails.

I guess I stated it wrong then. The one thing I hated about D3 was how locked up I felt, really got to me later on in the game. HL2 seems more...open. And of course there is a lot more interactivity involved :D

Yay. A game that I can play without a towel over my head and the monitor so that I can see.

I didn't even finish Doom 3 because it became so unbelievably boring and repetitive after like 3 hours. Hopefully Half-Life 2 is better (which, if it's a 'perfect sequel' to Half-Life, I think it will be).

Links got taken off the front page. I assume it was because scans are illegal. Heh, did manage to save them. I'll look into some hosting later.

Craftish said:
I think we can be reasonably certain a dyslexic publisher inverted that from 39%.

Agreed Doom 3 = Best looking crappy game ever.

We should stop talking about HL2 until one of us actually owns it, cause otherwise its pointless.

I read the review. I'm stoked. Call this the cure to the repetitive and boring Doom3. I'll trade some of the graphical supperiority of Doom3 for the density of HL2 any day.

there are way to many threads to keep bashing and comparing the two. want to do that go to one of the other million threads and do it. For once can we sustain a decent hl2 thread?

btw thanks for the scans mindbuster

palabared said:
there are way to many threads to keep bashing and comparing the two. want to do that go to one of the other million threads and do it. For once can we sustain a decent hl2 thread?

btw thanks for the scans mindbuster

Just for kicks, I checked the first 3 pages of this forum and there were no other HL2 threads, much less threads that are specifically Doom3 vs. HL2. I must have missed all the millions of them... but thanks for the being the thread cop..

FPS said:
That gravity gun is gonna be so good, cant wait to shoot cans at peoples faces :D

OT
Is [H]ard|OCP gonna do a hardware guide on this game like they did on doom 3?
id really like to know what its gonna run like on a 9600 pro.

No need, the graphics on HL2 are not as hard pressed as Doom III. HL2 was to be released over a year ago... The game appears to have some really good physics and gameplay, however there is no arguing the fact the textures are almost HL1 .. .:/ The lighting in the game is very old too.. so not a lot of new graphics are being presenting, just a sequel with good physics and gameplay.. enjoy.

It looks like the complexity of the environments are significantly boosted as well. Reading that review, it didn't appear that the graphics are dated at all. Sure, maybe not hyper-realistic like the doom3 models, or lighting, but certainly not HL1. I don't suspect we'll be disapointed in the graphics..

Micas said:
It looks like the complexity of the environments are significantly boosted as well. Reading that review, it didn't appear that the graphics are dated at all. Sure, maybe not hyper-realistic like the doom3 models, or lighting, but certainly not HL1. I don't suspect we'll be disapointed in the graphics..

Well I gave up on HL2's graphics when I played FC @ 1280x1024 with 4xaa :D I also stopped caring about the physics ( so much ) after playing Max Payne 2. But I need gameplay!

Just so you guys know, that's the review from PC Gamer UK, not the US one that comes out on Tuesday.

gumplunger said:
Just so you guys know, that's the review from PC Gamer UK, not the US one that comes out on Tuesday.

Oh snap! No wonder, seemed a bit more verbose than most PC Gamer reviews on this side of the pond (and the layout seemed a bit off as well)... I remember Osborne (the US PCG reviewer) said there was gonna be a CS:Source blurb in it as well. Well that explains a lot...

I don't think the graphics look dated... the quality of those scans wasn't exactly superb, they're not Doom 3 but c'mon now. The people models in particular looked pretty nice imo, can't wait to see them animated... HL had some of the sweetest animations I've seen (at the time).

I guess that HL2 will be just as linear as any other shooter, but it seems like it’s going to be a fun ride.

Micas said:
Just for kicks, I checked the first 3 pages of this forum and there were no other HL2 threads, much less threads that are specifically Doom3 vs. HL2. I must have missed all the millions of them... but thanks for the being the thread cop..

run a search. then tell me that

ThisMonsterLives said:
I think I actually fell asleep playing HL. I'll give HL2 a shot though.

Agreed, I never found the original to be all that entertaining. However, HL2 does look to be vastly superior.

Back