Happiness is...

-Dragon-

2[H]4U
CPU-Z Database (ID : 253229)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU : Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (*1)
Core : Kentsfield (65 nm) / Revision : G0
Freq : 3535.71 MHz (392.86 * 9)
----------------------------------
MB Brand : EVGA
MB Model : 122-CK-NF68
NB : NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI SPP rev A2
SB : NVIDIA 680i SLI MCP rev A2
RAM Size : 4096 MB
RAM Freq : 500 MHz
RAM Type : DDR2-SDRAM Dual Channel
RAM Ratio : 11:14
RAM Timings : 5-5-5-13
Slot 1 : 1024MB (PC2-6400)
Slot 1 Manufacturer : Corsair
Slot 2 : 1024MB (PC2-6400)
Slot 2 Manufacturer : Corsair
Slot 3 : 1024MB (PC2-6400)
Slot 3 Manufacturer : Corsair
Slot 4 : 1024MB (PC2-6400)
Slot 4 Manufacturer : Corsair

================ UPDATE ================
I get home from work and the computer had crashed during the night :( Guess 3535MHz isn't stable after all. So I start clocking it down trying to get it stable but even tho I'm lowering the FSB speed and leaving voltage alone, the system is actually MORE unstable and freezes soon after loading windows. Good thing for me I've read the EVGA forums (even better for me they have them in the first place). Seems these EVGA boards have a FSB "hole" where they're pretty much unstable no matter what you try in that region. Prior to this hole you can get stable overclocks, and if your HW is good enough and you push past it you can sometimes find a island of stability just beyond it.

Seems I had landed myself on the high end of the hole by dumb luck, lowering CPU frequency just made things worse. So I did what any rational [H] reader would do. I went the other way. I violated all the rules of overclocking and to obtain a more stable system I increased frequency and lowered voltage. It's only been stress testing for 10 minutes now but at 3555MHz and 1.4815V (down from 1.5435V) I haven't recieved any Prime95 errors yet. I tried lowering down to 1.4625 but Prime95 had a thread throw an error, tried again at 1.475 and still errored.

I may get lucky here and find a magical island of stability up above the MB's FSB hole, or it may be just a region of semi stability (at least at the voltages I want to run, 1.5V or less now that I know what's going on). Worst case scenario I gotta drop back down to 3300MHz range, which I know is stable, and is still a great overclock. Just not [H]ard enough for me. :p I'm hoping I can find this sliver of stability up here and get it running good on air, if not I'll be bucking to get water cooling sooner than I was planning, cause I know I can get it with that :D

everytime i try and get a good pc, some 1 comes along and crushes me with thier 15K machine :(

everytime i try and get a good pc, some 1 comes along and crushes me with thier 15K machine :(

that machine aint a 15k machine its like a $2k machine which makes his overclock that much more impressive, good job OP im actually just about to order my own G0 Q6600 this just makes me all excited!!

you know what I could do with $15k??? that's barely a $2k as the previous poster said

congrats on the oc!

I gotta get some pics up on EVGA's Mod Rig site...

All prices current Newegg at time of post:

Case:
Thermaltake Mozart TX @ $249.99

Powersupply:
Thermaltake Toughpower 650W @ $149.99

Case/CPU Fans:
5x Scythe 1600RPM 120mm 63.7CFM @ $24.99ea (I got these at amazon for $10/ea tho)
1x Thermaltake A2029 120mm 35.43-95.22 CFM @ $11.69
5x 120mm Thermaltake fans included in the Mozart

CPU Cooler:
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme @ $64.99

CPU:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.4GHz stock) @ $277.99

Motherboard:
EVGA 122-CK-NF68-T1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard @ $209.99

RAM:
2x CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit @ $81.00

Video Card:
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB @ @ $384.99

If I did my math right that should put you at about $1741.58 before shipping and also before any rebates, and doesn't take into consideration shopping around for (much) cheaper prices elsewhere. That leaves you $258.42 left to spend on hard drive, DVD drive, and sound card (if desired) before hitting the above mentioned $2000

Can you buy a decent hard drive, DVD Burner, and sound card for $250? Easily.

Could you also save a few hundred with a smaller case and a few less fans and still get the same results? Probably.

I have a few more components that push it over the $2000 price point but still below $3000 and none of them are required for a fast gaming system. Full system specs here

you know what I could do with $15k??? that's barely a $2k as the previous poster said

congrats on the oc!

Thanks! Personally what I'd do with $15k is build a system using the case I have now, 2x 120x240mm radiators, SLI watercooled 8800GTX's, WC the CPU, NB, SB, and maybe the mosfets for good measure. 30" Samsung @ 2560x1600 and probably a 22" secondary. Probably same CPU, I don't see the need to pay 2-4x the price for the privilege of an unlocked multiplier, good sound, same or ever so slightly larger powersupply.

I'd then proceed to overclock the heck out of it.

With the remaining $10k I'd make a nice down payment on a new car.

sweet chip! :eek:

How are idle/load temps?

Lil bit toasty >_>

Idle is ~39-42C depending on where you measure. The reported CPU temperature in the BIOS / NVMonitor is normally around 39-40C with a 80F (26C) ambient. If I use SpeedFan to monitor individual core temps core 0&1 are around 42-43C with core 2&3 around 40-41C. This is with the 15C offset fix for SpeedFan.

As for load temps... the short is ~60C reasonable 100% load, ~72C worse case 100% load. Read below as to my reasoning why this is ok tho :p

The long:

Load temp varies depending on load, oddly enough. At 100% reported CPU usage across all cores it can be between 60C and 76C. Running Prime95 as a burn in test and monitoring temperatures using SpeedFan's graphing tab temps vary as much as 5C going up and down throughout an individual test, and as much as 10C between different tests, depending on what it's calculating. Core 0&1 always stay 2-3C above cores 2&3 which are always 1-2C above reported CPU temperature.

The absolute worst test I found was a custom Prim95 torture test with 64k min, 64k max, and in-place FFT's. This will cause CPU temps to peg at a max value (for me 75-76C for cores 0&1, 72-74C for cores 2&3, and ~70C CPU), disabling in-place FFT's causes temps to cycle as mentioned before, never exceeding the max in-place value. Larger FFT's which additionally stress RAM cause temps to drop to the 60-65C range (and cycle 5C around that).

The CPU retains no heat as pressing the stop button causes a practically instant drop of 20C in temperatures from max temps. I'm utilizing SpeedFan's logging function to monitor temperatures and if they swing to wildly or sit too high I may back off some but after reading intel's design specs it seems these chips were designed to be able to run hot to begin with, which is probably why they have so much headroom to begin with. That's the main reason I'm ok with these temps for now.

Also I know nTune is generally hated but I've had good luck with it and will probably setup a profile to scale back 20% on the clock speed, leaving me with 800MHz RAM (it's rating) and a 2.8GHz CPU, for normal usage, and cut back even farther when the screen saver is active, only going to the full 3535MHz when doing something that needs/can use the power.

Back