has anyone noticed? wii component cables over 130$

nonameo

Gawd
It looks like wii component cable prices have gone past the stratosphere...

This one just ended.

please save us, pelican and madcatz!!!(LOL)

there were some over 200, but they ended a day or two ago.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
wow, makes the $250 pricetag look even worse doesn't it? by the time you buy a set of cables and other necessary accessories, it's not so cheap anymore, and you aren't even getting anything over 480p out of those cables either.....that sucks

nobody_here said:
wow, makes the $250 pricetag look even worse doesn't it? by the time you buy a set of cables and other necessary accessories, it's not so cheap anymore, and you aren't even getting anything over 480p out of those cables either.....that sucks
Or you can wait 3 weeks and get it for $30.

dotK said:
Or you can wait 3 weeks and get it for $30.

has anyone shown an appreciable difference between 480i over composite and 480p over component? seems to me the component cables are not worth buying at any price when the output resolution is limited to 480p

nobody_here said:
has anyone shown an appreciable difference between 480i over composite and 480p over component? seems to me the component cables are not worth buying at any price when the output resolution is limited to 480p

from what I understand, the quality difference is substantial.

nobody_here said:
And I shall call you Trolly McTrollerson, of Trollville. Occupation: Bridgekeeper.

nobody_here said:

Composite is horrible. If you have an HDTV, EDTV or even a good quality SDTV, component or svideo will be a huge improvement.

Component at 480i >> composite
S-video at 480i >> composite

Going from 480i (over component) to 480p (over component) isn't that overwhelming though.

It's actually pretty painful to watch a composite cable on an HDTV. The colors separation is awful, and the blurriness is very nasty. Avoid composite cables like the plague.

Wow, I should ebay mine (got them for $30). :p

Anyway, the difference between composite and component is pretty substantial, judging from that link I saw on Arstechnica.

Hey, does anyone know if it would be worth buying the component cables, if I'm only playing on a 20'' 480i tv? (I sit about 4 feet away from it)

sculelos said:
Hey, does anyone know if it would be worth buying the component cables, if I'm only playing on a 20'' 480i tv? (I sit about 4 feet away from it)

I wouldn't. Are you sure that TV even has component inputs (red, blue, green)?

sculelos said:

Even if it did have component inputs (which it probably doesn't), there would be no difference because your TV can't display in 480p anyway.

nobody_here said:

Go troll somewhere else dumbass :rolleyes:

PWMK2 said:
Even if it did have component inputs (which it probably doesn't), there would be no difference because your TV can't display in 480p anyway.

Don't get hung up on the resolution. 480i to 480p isn't that big a deal.

If you have a decent quality tv (34" or larger), you will see a benefit moving from composite to s-video or component.

I thought you could order these from nintendo? And what ever happend to Bestbuy carrying them? Sorry, Ive been without internet access for some time now!

finalgt said:
And I shall call you Trolly McTrollerson, of Trollville. Occupation: Bridgekeeper.

CodeX said:
Go troll somewhere else dumbass :rolleyes:

you guys amaze me......here we have a thread about the cost of the component cables, so i comment just like everybody else with my take on it and supporting reasons why i too think $130 or so is too much to pay for cables for that system, and suddenly i am a troll?

why dont you guys contribute something to the thread other than finger pointing, oh so intelligent ones

i bet if i had posted that "OMG, the price to too high for the cable but if it's for a Wii it soooo worth it and the Wii roxxorz my boxxorz and 480p pwns all other resolutions and Wii is ungodly and it rules and stuff and is better than any other console OMG"......that you would not have even posted at all....... :rolleyes:

Sabre said:
Cable comparison for Wii HERE

awesome post! thanks alot, that clearly shows a much better clearer image using the component cables, so i say if you can get a set for a reasonable price it would be well worth it :D

That's horrendous. I saw an HDMI cable at my local Gamestop for $80. I though that was insane.

nobody_here said:
you guys amaze me......here we have a thread about the cost of the component cables, so i comment just like everybody else with my take on it and supporting reasons why i too think $130 or so is too much to pay for cables for that system, and suddenly i am a troll?

why dont you guys contribute something to the thread other than finger pointing, oh so intelligent ones

i bet if i had posted that "OMG, the price to too high for the cable but if it's for a Wii it soooo worth it and the Wii roxxorz my boxxorz and 480p pwns all other resolutions and Wii is ungodly and it rules and stuff and is better than any other console OMG"......that you would not have even posted at all....... :rolleyes:

No, you're a troll for idiotic comments like "The difference between 480i/p isn't worth ANY price", which is absurd. However, the main reason people are calling you a troll is because ANY time there's a thread about Nintendo for ANY reason whatsoever, you're in there badmouthing them, right, wrong or indifferent.

nobody_here said:
awesome post! thanks alot, that clearly shows a much better clearer image using the component cables, so i say if you can get a set for a reasonable price it would be well worth it :D

Nice damage control. I won't bitch much, tho', I like to see the honesty *ripped* from people like that :D

clearly i had not seen a comparison and did not think the difference would be worth the investment and would simply bring the overall cost of setting up a Wii to more than i care to pay, $130 is still too much, but $30 would be well worth it........and clearly i have said that i think they are worth it if cheaper because of the increased IQ that the other poster provided

you could have gotten the kudos if you would have posted the comparison link, unfortunately, your only reason for posting was to incite a flamewar, which you wont get, so go "troll" for flamage somewhere else, thanks :D

i never said i didnt like the Wii, i just dont like it being put on a pedestal on the same level as the other system available because it clearly is not on the same level, Nintendo themselves have said as much, so don't try to defend something Nintendo themselves is not trying to claim

i would buy a Wii, if they were a bit cheaper, for my kids, but my personal choice is the 360, and i think i am entitled to a reasonable fact supported opinion, thanks

nobody_here said:

You'll go the way of Daggah if you keep it up...

nobody_here said:
and what is it you want to contribute to the apparent cost of the Component cables for the Wii?

That you're getting all riled up just because a few people are buying them for ridiculous amounts of money on ebay and are using it as a rallying cry in your crusade against all things nintendo. They won't cost this much, they will cost $30, big deal.

nobody_here said:

Composite is worse than awful. The difference between 480i over composite and 480i over s-video is striking. 480p over component is even better.

CodeX said:
That you're getting all riled up just because a few people are buying them for ridiculous amounts of money on ebay and are using it as a rallying cry in your crusade against all things nintendo. They won't cost this much, they will cost $30, big deal.

i did not get "all riled up" CodeX, i simply said i think it's far too much to pay for what you get, now i see that the value is better than i thought it was, sorry, i didnt know it was such a big difference, but now i do, as i stated already, but my reason for not paying $130 for a set of cables after i paid $250 for the system still remains

i dont have a beef with Nintendo, matter of fact, once all the dust settles from the holiday shopping madness and we possibly see a sale or rebate when i can get one for my kids at the $200 price point, then i actually will be buying one

you guys are on a crusade for no reason, so please, stop with the personal attacks and sideways remarks as you continue to crap the thread
;)

Hmmm, I guess I might pick up the component cables if I see them for cheap, and I'm sure my tv has the inputs, but I guess I won't go berzerk as the differences in color is probably to small for me to notice. (on my tv anyways)

nobody_here said:

You deliberately worded that to make it sound as though everybody had to buy the cables and the $130 was a required cost on top of the $250 for the Wii. Then when people call you out on it, you play dumb, and say the other guys, not you, are the trolls. I had smarter arguments in grade school, dude.

And yes, it is far too much to pay. You know why? Because it's eBay, not the friggin' Nintendo outlet.

DragonMasterAlex said:
It is, nobody_here is just *trolling* again :)

I didn't see any flames in his post. He is right in that $100+ is an outrageous sum to spend on component cables (and this coming from a guy who used to routinely sell $500+ worth of cables with an HDTV or surround sound system, but hey, that was business and everybody had to do what they do to make a buck (or 10% on all cables in my case)).

As for the 480i vs. 480p argument, you are goint to get less out of a Wii going from composite to component vs. a PS3 or Xbox360 doing the same (assuming you own an HDTV which you are hooking it up to) but the difference is still noticeable, and most than worth the cost of the cables (provided you can get them for a reasonable price).

As for flaming, I have seen you be almost as bad as the late lamented StevieIP as far as flaming any non-Nintendo console that crosses these pages, but, you know what they say, those in glass houses...

And to be clear, I am not anti-Nintendo. My first console was a NES, my second was an SNES, I played Final Fantasy for the first time of a Nintendo console, and I still love the series. I have a GameCube (skipped the N64, most awful controller ever IMO, but the GameCube had some great games), and I think the Wii looks interesting, I am just waiting on some titles I am interested in,

Hey can we cool it down here? IMO, 130 is too much to pay, and I'd never pay 130 for a set of cables of ANY kind.

I didn't really mean this thread as a debate issue, more of an FYI.

So do we have any more related FYI/info to go with this? stuff like the comparison shots? (awesome btw)

anyone know about 3rd party cables? are japanese component cables going to work on our US wii's?

Play-asia seems to have them available to ship on dec. 2nd. for 30 bucks.

finalgt said:
You deliberately worded that to make it sound as though everybody had to buy the cables and the $130 was a required cost on top of the $250 for the Wii. Then when people call you out on it, you play dumb, and say the other guys, not you, are the trolls. I had smarter arguments in grade school, dude.

And yes, it is far too much to pay. You know why? Because it's eBay, not the friggin' Nintendo outlet.

no, but it is the only way to get "only" 480p out of the Wii, and i have a HiDef TV and would not even think about hooking up a component with composite cables, and would be sorely disappointed if my investment of so much only netted me 480p resolution, sorry, that's just the way i feel and further makes the case that the cables are so expensive

i don't recall there being a huge ebay market for Xbox 360 component cables with cables being marked up so much.....but, i guess that's because M$ decided to include them in the Premium bundles........if Nintendo would have done the same, they would have saved their customers alot of money by avoiding the "ebay marketplace" for overpriced products, sure the system might have been priced at $300 or maybe Nintendo, instead of making only $100 off of each console would have made $90 off of each console, but at least their loyal customers would not have to be paying ridiculous prices for component cables in order to get the most out of their Wii

if it was me, knowing that the Wii was going to have the least attractive graphics to begin with, I would have bundled the component cables with it, so that it would look as good as possible and may have even gone to the trouble to speak of how "Sony is making their customers buy an additional cable to experience their system in it's fullest, but we at Nintendo want you to get the best possible experience out of the box", i would have found a way to make the most out of it

you guys that love the Wii can get as mad as three hells if you want, i really don't care, the Wii is what it is, i am simply giving my take on the component cable situation, hate if you want, it's okay, i can take it, i have no remorse at all over not buying into the hype, and feel compelled to purchase a Wii in about 9 months or so, once the ridiculous fever is over and i can get a Wii with component cables without doing any ridiculous camping or paying enormous prices, okay?

nobody_here said:
you guys that love the Wii can get as mad as three hells if you want, i really don't care, the Wii is what it is, i am simply giving my take on the component cable situation, hate if you want, it's okay, i can take it, i have no remorse at all over not buying into the hype, and feel compelled to purchase a Wii in about 9 months or so, once the ridiculous fever is over and i can get a Wii with component cables without doing any ridiculous camping or paying enormous prices, okay?

What component cable situation? Granted they arent readily available, but just because people are going nuts to pay $130+ on eBay for them just goes to show how uninformed many consumers are. I ordered them from Nintendo on the 19th, they are slated to ship on the 28th, cost me $29.99 + $4.99 S+H.

situation? I see a very minor one, if that.

Sabre said:
What component cable situation? Granted they arent readily available, but just because people are going nuts to pay $130+ on eBay for them just goes to show how uninformed many consumers are. I ordered them from Nintendo on the 19th, they are slated to ship on the 28th, cost me $29.99 + $4.99 S+H.

situation? I see a very minor one, if that.

the situation at hand as presented by the OP of course :D

nobody_here said:
the situation at hand as presented by the OP of course :D

WOW, so since PS3's were going for over $2,000 on eBay, we should lambast it for its $2,000 pricetag instead of its already-ridiculous $600 one? What great logic, resellers on eBay certainly MUST dictate the price structure of official vendors according to you! It's ALL Nintendo's fault for allowing this to happen, oh my gosh!

I got mine for $30 from nintendo's site and have them in my hands already. Resellers/etc. on eBay are NOT prices relevant to a console, their OFFICIAL prices are. So, at $30, these are an excellent value.

Back