Haven't upgraded since 2008. What should I do here?

So I haven't updated my computer since 2008...

Core i7 920 (d0)
P6T mobo
12gb DDR3
128GB SSD
512mb 9800GT
520w PSU

It chugs along fine. I never really overclocked the CPU much, I had it up a little but honestly never knew the best settings to run it stable.

So this whole thread basically stems from the thought of switching out monitors/moving our office. New monitor doesnt have DVI, just HDMI.

I KNOW i can just get a dvi->hdmi cable, or even an adapter, but I was thinking, well, why not just spend some money and upgrade!

I have been out of this niche for a while and I finally realized how ancient my card is, in todays terms. I don't do MUCH PC gaming (i did/do play Diablo 3 from time to time) and primarily have done mostly console gaming. Main computer use is webdev/design video work and I have had no problems recently.

I see new cards are PCIe 3.0 now, and I know it can run on my 2.0 board (but that whole upgrade path is a whole other can of worms!), but I just need someone to just give me a bump in the right direction for today's tech.

I would like something that runs games (if i decide to game, COD, BF3, etc.) at 1920x1080 res, with a decent amount of bells and whistles enabled...but I don't need a 3-way SLI setup or anything. I just want something that can handle it's own and play if needed.

I run a dual boot right now (hackintosh) and I know that I'm pretty much stuck with Nvidia cards (unless 10.8.3 supports new ATi stuff) but those ATi deals with BioShock, Crysis and/or Tomb Raider sound appealing.

Can someone just hold my hand (lol) and guide me in the right direction here?

Im looking in the 180-250 range if possible, but the thought of possibly going SLI (if its affordable or even worth it if using 'lower end' cards) is a cool idea. Not sure I need it, but I like the idea.

Thanks for ANY insight fellow [H]'s!

Just OC your 920 (perhaps get a CM Hyper 212 Evo, if you need a better cooler), and get a Radeon 7950. If you're going for overvolted, sky-high overclocks, though, you'll want a bigger PSU, as well.

Nevermind, just saw your price range. If the max you want to spend is $250, get a Radeon 7850 2GB, and if you need it, the cooler I previously recommended.
If you have to go with an NV card, get a GTX 660.

Yeah, you're fine at PCIe 2.0. OC and your CPU bottleneck is gone. Nice though, that you can still run your 5-year-old rig. :)

If you want to stay green this is a good buy. If you want to try red this is the best bang for the buck and has the game pack. Performance is similar between the two.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back