having problems installing ubuntu

ultragamer

n00b
im having problems installing ubuntu.i insert my cd hit enter on install ubuntu and it loads and then i get a blank screen with the cursor blinking. what do i do?

ok also can I get your system specs?

There are three disc for the ubuntu flavours. There is an alternate disc, which is text based, the desktop disc which is a live distro, and a graphical installer, and the server disc, which does a server install.

http://ubuntu-releases.cs.umn.edu//6.06/

scroll down to the alternate disc.

also im having probloems with overclockix. it loads everything and says kernal panic or somthing and then stops loading and does nothing

hahhaha, killingfield you are too nice, but could I get your computer specs ultragamer, since this is [h]forum, I am guessing you have a coreduo2 and a motherboard with the jmicron pata controller, you are gonna hate what I have to say.

ok, you might not like this, but I googled, your computer, its comes with a multimedia card reader right? It says its connected via usb, I have read that people have had problems, with multimedia card readers and linux, see if you can disconnect that card reader, turn on your computer, and then try to boot off the cd.

Maybe we should take a step back and re-evaluate our reasons for wanting linux on your computer.

Zwitterion said:
Maybe we should take a step back and re-evaluate our reasons for wanting linux on your computer.
when did a subjective qualification become required for install any OS? or for trying out new software for that matter?

did you figure out what is going on? i am curious as to the cause myself.

ultragamer said:
yes i have the card reader but wont i void my warrinty when i unplug it?

you may....., void your warranty, but it might be a good call to check, also from what I have read, ubuntu should have no problem with your computer specs, except for the multimedia card reader, which is the only thing that might cause overclockix to kernel panic or ubuntu not to boot properly. Overclockix boots fine on my amd x2 3800+ on a dfi ultra-d.

I really suspect that its your multimedia card reader.

I'm having a similar problem.

I just put a simple box together (Celly 2.26, biostar mobo, 500 mb patriot, wd 200 gb, sony dvd combo, logitech wireless kb/mouse).

I downloaded the ubuntu 6.06 iso and burned it, boot from cd and get boot disk failure.

I also have tried debian (15 disc) got to the 'press enter to install' screen and it locks up.

I won't be gaming on this thing, just mainly office work and would have liked to use an alternative OS.

Back