Hazro HZ24W review comments... and NEC 20WGX2

czajunia

Weaksauce
Hi,
I am considering getting either NEC 20WGX2 or Hazro's 24'' S-IPS model. I know that there are kind of different sizes :) but as there isn't a good, reasonably priced 24'' IPS monitor I think I may not upgrade to the next size up just yet. Anyway, after reading Hazro HZ24W review I have a technical question.
I know that the blacks are not the strongest point of the IPS panels but in the above mentioned review they measured Black Point (cd/m2) at around 0.4 and concluded that it is pretty average. The same web page tested NEC 20WGX2 and after calibration this monitor achieved the 0.3 score and with a dynamic contrast ratio control it went down to 0.2.

Is the level of 0.4 really that bad and does it show in the real life performance where the blacks should be really nice - games, films? Or is it purely technical index and average user won't see any difference between the monitor that scored 0.3 and 0.4?
Also, the measured contrast ratio dropped to 321:1 after calibration from almost 700:1. Is it very bad?

Thank's for all the answers and I am sorry if I asked obvious questions but I don't know too much about technical details relating to LCD screens.

Get both. First get the NEC 20WGX2. If you can find one. It may already be too late. Then in 6-9 months down the road get the Hazro. As you know, the only thing better than an S-IPS monitor is two.

The 20WGX2 is unique. We aren't likely to see its equal ever again. The Hazro 24" panel should be in production for at least another year. But the 20WGX2's panel is no longer made.

Black level is not a S-IPS forte, so don't fret about it. LCD is short for Lots of Compromises, Delivered. You want black get a PVA or a CRT. You want stunning color, from any angle, get S-IPS or a CRT. And so on.

While a great Contrast ratio makes for some great marketing speak, the reality is that most screens get great numbers by blinding backlights. I can't find the link, but a popular movie theater projector has a contrast ratio of 50:1 and in context is looks pretty good.

I think the context of your usage is more important than any single figure of merit. While the internet is great for conveying information about monitors, it sucks for conveying the experience of using a monitor. It was funny how all those 24" widescreens on the net didn't look so big on my 19" Trinitron.

So there you go, more information, but not much about the experience of using a 20" 1680 X 1050 glossy S-IPS versus a 24" 1920 X 1200 matte S-IPS.

Thank's anyway. I probably gonna get NEC for it's superior image quality and performance. It looks like there are still plenty of these available here in UK. My only problem is that I had a look at the 24'' 1920x1200 and it's so great that I simply wouldn't want to stay in the 20'' range for too long :)

I am still trying to figure out the difference between NEC 20WGX2 Pro and non-Pro version. It looks the same on the paper but this obviously doesn't mean too much. Anyone can help here?

Back