HD 2900XTX Benchmarks

wow thats really awful.....all this time, and all the marketing hype that DAAMIT was leaking and in the end the 8800 GTX, a 6 month old card, absolutely destroys it!?!

To say ATI dropped the ball would be an understatement. I am sorely disappointed because I was at least hoping that ATI would provide Nvidia with some competition (and hence reason to release even faster revisions of video cards).

Maybe its something to do with the testing methodology or the drivers? I cant believe that a video card with a 512 bit interface could get slammed so hard by another video card with less memory and a smaller interface. Strange :confused: :eek:

If the R600 core is slower than the G80, a larger memory bandwidth isn't going to help much. An analogy would be upgrading from a 3 lane to a 6 lane freeway for 3 cars. At full throttle those 3 cars aren't going from point A to B any faster in 6 lanes than they will in 3, regardless of the extra lanes.

wow thats really awful.....all this time, and all the marketing hype that DAAMIT was leaking and in the end the 8800 GTX, a 6 month old card, absolutely destroys it!?!

To say ATI dropped the ball would be an understatement. I am sorely disappointed because I was at least hoping that ATI would provide Nvidia with some competition (and hence reason to release even faster revisions of video cards).

Maybe its something to do with the testing methodology or the drivers? I cant believe that a video card with a 512 bit interface could get slammed so hard by another video card with less memory and a smaller interface. Strange :confused: :eek:

Whoa-Whoa! Has Kyle taught you nothing! These are clearly meaningless canned benchmarks!

LOL.

Funny how that went right out the window from the forumers here once ATI was down..

If the R600 core is slower than the G80, a larger memory bandwidth isn't going to help much. An analogy would be upgrading from a 3 lane to a 6 lane freeway for 3 cars. At full throttle those 3 cars aren't going from point A to B any faster in 6 lanes than they will in 3, regardless of the extra lanes.

Well ATI tech uses a programmable ringbus memory controler architektures.

It's like 6 lanes with on 4 lanes roadbloks. Wich disapear some with each driver update.

It totaly unkown how the cores compare and the driver status.

It take 10 WHQL driver to get the most out of it. After that the performance gains get to small to make a difference. Or game specific optimising. New games.

Therer's a LOT we don't know at this point. We don't know how recent the revision of this card tested was, we don't know anything about what state the latest drivers are in, we don't know much of anything at all. There's no way AMD will release a card of this calibre to only end up flopping beside a 6-month old competitive product, let alone a new top-notch competitor. They would be much better off delaying it a few more months and releasing it Id style, when its ready.

I think the XT benchmarks released a little earlier were more representative of the level of performance to expect, and I seriously doubt AMD will bother releasing a card that cannot compete at the high end if this is all it can muster. It would be marketing suicide and possibly terminal for its graphics division.

At this point, there no reason to buy the XTX over the XT once they come out. The GTX still completely owns both of them.

I was hoping it would be faster too in the interest of competition, which is healthy. However, I am having a good chuckle at all of the ATI posters who trash talked the 8800s lol. Take your foot of your mouth!

thanks for your opinion :p from what I read at some other forums its going to be released like this

xtx -> xt > 2600/2400

That's the top to bottom line-up of cards, measured by their power/performance.
What trek554 said, is that the XTX will not be launched at the same time, as the XT. When it's released, then yes, that will be the correct top to bottom line-up of AMD/ATI's cards. But until then, it's just HD 2900 XT > HD 2600 XT/Pro, etc etc

Back