hd555 to hd595 mod

or maybe I just won't buy sennheiser again....because that is pretty messed up

That's.. much easier than I was expecting. I was thinking the mod was going to require soldering, adding additional parts, changing parts, etc. But apparently you just have to.. remove some foam. Okay...

I doubt Sennheiser's the only one doing stuff like this, tbh, though it still sucks to have purchased the more expensive, "higher-end" model only to find out it's essentially the same as the lower-end model with stuff removed (if what the writer claims is true). I'm a bit more tempted to get a pair of HD555s now, if only to do the mod. :D

The drivers on the HD595 are matched by Sennheiser however. They are not matched on the HD555. This is important to some users.
No mod will turn unmatched 555 drivers into matched 595 drivers.

If you don't mind that the drivers aren't matched and are willing to void the warranty and do the mod then its a good deal if you like what the mod does to the sound signature.

They aren't trying to cripple the sound of the 555's they are making a different sounding product for those who want that sound.

The 595's are usually $125 and the 555's are usually $85.
Don't forget the 595's come with a desk clamp that some users might want. It's probably a $10 product if you wanted some other sort of clamp to hold your headphones on your desk like that. So the difference is about $30 in the end.

Last edited:
I saw this a few months ago, it seems really easy to do. I haven't done it to my 555s yet because I don't want to void the warranty. They are great entry level headphones, I'll prob do it when my warranty runs out. My no mod 555s still sound great imo, though. I know there is a lot of better sounding headphones out there, but in my small ignorant world 555s are still the #1. Sometimes its best to stay ignorant.

My current plan is every few years I'll introduce myself to a better set of cans and have this whole blown away experience again. It may take a few decades to reach the best audio quality experience, but I think it will be more fun this way.

I saw this a few months ago, it seems really easy to do. I haven't done it to my 555s yet because I don't want to void the warranty. They are great entry level headphones, I'll prob do it when my warranty runs out. My no mod 555s still sound great imo, though. I know there is a lot of better sounding headphones out there, but in my small ignorant world 555s are still the #1. Sometimes its best to stay ignorant.

My current plan is every few years I'll introduce myself to a better set of cans and have this whole blown away experience again. It may take a few decades to reach the best audio quality experience, but I think it will be more fun this way.

lol yeah but....

For a mere $200, there is MUCH better out there. Don't stay in the basement too long son.

lol yeah but....

For a mere $200, there is MUCH better out there. Don't stay in the basement too long son.

Yeah even the best plans don't usually hold up in reality. $150-200 would prob be my price range for the next set of phones which is more than double what I payed for the 555s at $75.

Back