HDD cooling

autobot

Limp Gawd
Hey there folks. I'm currently building a stealth bomber themed case-mod and I'm going with watercooling. Only problem is, there isn't going to be much airflow in the case. So I'm a bit worried about my HDDs overheating with the lack of air flow. I've been looking at the Aerocool HB-101 and it looks like it will fit my theme nicely. Here is a link to the product...
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-129-240&depa=0
Does anyone know if this HDD heatsink is any good? I have a pair of small scroll fans that are really quiet and blow a decent ammount of air.
06290008.JPG

Would these in conjunction with the HB-101 work well? Please let me know. Thank you. :)

I don't have the Aero cool, but it seems that it would do the job. As you know, when a HD is equipped with that Aerocool or even the Zalman HD cooler that I use, it has to be installed in a 5.25" bay as it is no longer able to fit in the HD cage. You could just rig something up yourself to have it suspend below the 5.25" bays and just remove the HD cages, at least that is what I am planning on doing. Or just lay them down on the floor of your case.

I am interested in where you got the smaller spindle fans and what kind of noise output they have. Something like those would fit perfect in what I am trying to achieve with my own case plans.

Tiny said:
I don't have the Aero cool, but it seems that it would do the job. As you know, when a HD is equipped with that Aerocool or even the Zalman HD cooler that I use, it has to be installed in a 5.25" bay as it is no longer able to fit in the HD cage. You could just rig something up yourself to have it suspend below the 5.25" bays and just remove the HD cages, at least that is what I am planning on doing. Or just lay them down on the floor of your case.

I am interested in where you got the smaller spindle fans and what kind of noise output they have. Something like those would fit perfect in what I am trying to achieve with my own case plans.

Well I'm planning on a custom mounting assemly for the HDDs anyways, so mounting isn't going to be an issue anyways. I got the fans at a local electronics surplus store.

Are there ANY identifiable markings on them at all!? ANY!?

Bah! Looks like I am spending the night on google. :(

As far as the Aerocools....it'll get the job done, no problems.

The small scroll fans are made by Delta. The model # is CFS1412HA. Here are some specs on the fan...
12v (7-13.8 operable)
.12amp
1.44watt
3400RPM
14.12CFM (they actually feel allot stronger than that)
35db (they seem a bit quieter than that)
size: 24x24x140mm

It seems that 2 of these with the HB-101s would do the job nicely. I'll put these fans on the PWM fan controller that will also be controlling the dual 120mm aluminum AOC fans that will pull air through the DD dual-120 heatercore.

Sweetness! Thank you.

Make sure you show that stuff off when you get 'er all done!

Don't you worry about that, I already have a project log goin on in the Worklogs section of this forum. Oh, and if you want me to pick up a pair of these small scroll fans for you, just PM me and we'll talk about it. :)

Back